TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Possible MK3 Buyer With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible MK3 Buyer With Questions

Hello Audi folks! It's been a few years since I've been active on the AW forums (I had an MKI TT and a couple different A4s back in the day) but I'm thinking about getting back in the game. Please pardon the length of this message, but I'm thinking about buying an MK3 Coupe and I'm looking for some information/advice from the group.

My situation: I have a 2013 128i that I love to pieces. Compared to most modern cars, let alone an MK3 TT, it feels positively old school with its hydraulic-assist steering, manual transmission and naturally aspirated straight six. I ordered it to my tastes, I changed the suspension, wheels and tires (run flats = ride and handling death), and I've enjoyed it immensely for 2.5 years/20,000 miles, including 2 track days. So why am I considering a change? After over a decade at the same job with a relatively short, rapid (i.e. manual transmission compatible) commute, I'm starting a new position which will require more freeway time and traffic, and as much as I prefer a manual transmission, I'm not a complete masochist. My initial thought was to add an unexciting, fuel efficient daily driver to the fleet (Prius, Golf diesel or the like), but 1) we don't really have room for a 3rd car, and 2) life is too short and I'm too passionate about cars to spend most of my driving time in something that I simply don't enjoy.

So, my likely solution is to split the difference and find a compromise car that can serve as a reasonably relaxed and efficient daily driver but that also feels special, delivers serious smiles, has an intelligent/advanced automatic transmission, and can possibly head back to the track without embarrassing itself. Realistically, not many cars can fit that tall order, especially since I dislike bigger, heavier cars -- even 3,500 lbs. is too porky in my book. I've nearly ruled out the 2 Series and Cayman for reasons I won't bore you with, and that left me with 3 likely contenders: S3, TT Coupe and TTS Coupe. I lucked upon a REALLY cool Audi sales representative (Joseph Hunter at Circle Audi in Long Beach, CA) who was willing to spend the time with me and offer me sufficient test driving time to help me fine tune my choice. Seriously, Joseph is a great guy, very helpful and knowledgeable, and unlike everyone I've worked with over the years at a different local dealer -- I'll take the high road and not name them -- he didn't tell me that I couldn't test drive anything other than mainstream cars like the A3 and A4. Refreshing stuff.

Anyhow, today I drove an S3 and a TT Convertible (their one TT Coupe was boxed in on the showroom floor) back to back on the same route. The S3 was much better than I expected given my usually old school tastes. It just gets up and moves and turns in quite nicely for such a practical car -- really impressive and easy to drive quickly with no drama. That said, 4-door sedans don't do much for me, and as much as I liked the S3, I was drawn to the TT/TTS because of my fond memories of my MKI and my love of small-ish, light-ish coupes. With the same basic drivetrain as the S3 in a lighter, lower, cooler package, what's not to like about the TTS? The TT convertible generally drove well, but it was a bit soft for my tastes with 200 extra lbs. to cart around, the base 18" wheels/tires, and no magnetic ride to tighten up the dampers. Also, the steering felt a bit lighter and less tangible than that of the S3. Joseph suggested that the steering on all S cars is tuned differently than their normal counterparts, so it's likely that the steering on the TTS will feel more like the S3. That said, Circle Audi doesn't have a TTS yet -- they're expecting one soon -- so neither of us could know for sure.

So, my questions:

1) Would you expect the steering on the TTS to differ from the steering in the TT, and if so, to what extent? I'm hopeful that someone out their in audiinternetland has driven both models in close succession and can speak to the differences/similarities. The TT steering is probably not a deal-breaker, but I'd like something more S3-like and a bit closer to what I've grown accustomed to from BMW.

2) Has anyone tracked or is anyone planning to track a TT/TTS without any serious mods? As far as I can tell, the TTS seems ready for relatively light track duty out of the box (a few 20-min runs in a day on a curvy, medium-speed track, but no racing or endurance)

3) Can anyone speak to the general ride quality of the TTS with 19" wheels on rough roads? Some of the SoCal freeways are fairly truck-beaten, and while I can handle some mild to medium bumps to retain solid handling -- my current car represents an excellent ride/handling compromise -- I don't want to be punished on a regular basis. I'd think the TTS with 19" wheels and magnetic ride set in Comfort mode would be fine just as the S3 was today when we challenged it with some rough pavement with the same configuration (19" 235/35s with magnetic ride).

Thanks in advance for your collective input!

Last edited by SimianSpeedster; 09-12-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default No TTS in NA yet

Originally Posted by SimianSpeedster
Hello Audi folks! It's been a few years since I've been active on the AW forums (I had an MKI TT and a couple different A4s back in the day) but I'm thinking about getting back in the game. Please pardon the length of this message, but I'm thinking about buying an MK3 Coupe and I'm looking for some information/advice from the group.

So, my questions:

1) Would you expect the steering on the TTS to differ from the steering in the TT, and if so, to what extent? I'm hopeful that someone out their in audiinternetland has driven both models in close succession and can speak to the differences/similarities. The TT steering is probably not a deal-breaker, but I'd like something more S3-like and a bit closer to what I've grown accustomed to from BMW.

2) Has anyone tracked or is anyone planning to track a TT/TTS without any serious mods? As far as I can tell, the TTS seems ready for relatively light track duty out of the box (a few 20-min runs in a day on a curvy, medium-speed track, but no racing or endurance)

3) Can anyone speak to the general ride quality of the TTS with 19" wheels on rough roads? Some of the SoCal freeways are fairly truck-beaten, and while I can handle some mild to medium bumps to retain solid handling -- my current car represents an excellent ride/handling compromise -- I don't want to be punished on a regular basis. I'd think the TTS with 19" wheels and magnetic ride set in Comfort mode would be fine just as the S3 was today when we challenged it with some rough pavement with the same configuration (19" 235/35s with magnetic ride).

So the only hope for answers to your questions would be any European brethren who post here. Relative to steering, according to Audi press releases, steering response (and other handling parameters) in the TT and TTS is adjustable to the driving mode and you can customize a configuration in addition to the comfort, sport, etc modes. Having said that, I don't know how you could isolate steering itself with all of the other TT vs TTS suspension adjustments and differences. Of the professional reviews I've seen, I've seen no negative comments on TT/TTS steering response (as opposed to the 228/M235 which is often described as "numb).
Old 09-13-2015, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Well reasoned analysis. The S3 is perhaps the better daily commute GT car but 4-door sedans don't do much for me, nor do I need one, these days either so I too took a pass.

I am really looking forward to the TTS magnetic fluid dampers (one of my reasons for selecting same over the Cayman and M235 btw). Also the TT's "glass cockpit."

As you may know the Mk3 TT harkens back to the MkI in many ways, as cited by the designers, so you should feel right at home.

I had 19" wheels on my A5 and as nice looking as they were on the car I looked forward to my 18" Winter rim switchover each season due to similar chewed up roads in my area these days. I expect the TTS 19" rims to be similarly stylistically pleasing and useful on smooth twisties, and still have the 18" Winter rims. So you may want to consider a dual set for track and commuting respectively.

The TTS/TT should be a great commuting car. Performance when you need/want it and economy when not. Cutting edge technology and all the time fun.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

So, my questions:

TT and TTS steering is the same. You can adjust the feel via drive select, so if you want it heavier, put the steering in dynamic mode. Also, at lower speeds it will be lighter since it is speed sensitive.

I tracked a TT Roadster and it was fantastic. No shake, strong pull, and insane grip. And this was the roadster, not a coupe and not even a TTS. If you are going to be doing many track days, you'd of course want appropriate brake pads (that goes for any normal street car). TTS with the larger four piston calipers and non-low dust pads will be fine the way it is for light track duty.

Ride quality of the TTS with 19s is not bad, especially with magnetic ride in comfort mode. If anything it may be slightly more comfortable that the regular TT with the steel suspension. But put it in dynamic and it gets very stiff, so the adjustability is great. You'll just need to take a TTS for a test drive when your dealer gets one and I think you'll agree.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My situation: I have a 2013 128i that I love to pieces. Compared to most modern cars, let alone an MK3 TT, it feels positively old school with its hydraulic-assist steering, manual transmission and naturally aspirated straight six. I ordered it to my tastes, I changed the suspension, wheels and tires (run flats = ride and handling death), and I've enjoyed it immensely for 2.5 years/20,000 miles, including 2 track days. So why am I considering a change? After over a decade at the same job with a relatively short, rapid (i.e. manual transmission compatible) commute, I'm starting a new position which will require more freeway time and traffic, and as much as I prefer a manual transmission, I'm not a complete masochist. My initial thought was to add an unexciting, fuel efficient daily driver to the fleet (Prius, Golf diesel or the like), but 1) we don't really have room for a 3rd car, and 2) life is too short and I'm too passionate about cars to spend most of my driving time in something that I simply don't enjoy.

So, my likely solution is to split the difference and find a compromise car that can serve as a reasonably relaxed and efficient daily driver but that also feels special, delivers serious smiles, has an intelligent/advanced automatic transmission, and can possibly head back to the track without embarrassing itself. Realistically, not many cars can fit that tall order, especially since I dislike bigger, heavier cars -- even 3,500 lbs. is too porky in my book. I've nearly ruled out the 2 Series and Cayman for reasons I won't bore you with, and that left me with 3 likely contenders: S3, TT Coupe and TTS Coupe. I lucked upon a REALLY cool Audi sales representative (Joseph Hunter at Circle Audi in Long Beach, CA) who was willing to spend the time with me and offer me sufficient test driving time to help me fine tune my choice. Seriously, Joseph is a great guy, very helpful and knowledgeable, and unlike everyone I've worked with over the years at a different local dealer -- I'll take the high road and not name them -- he didn't tell me that I couldn't test drive anything other than mainstream cars like the A3 and A4. Refreshing stuff.

Anyhow, today I drove an S3 and a TT Convertible (their one TT Coupe was boxed in on the showroom floor) back to back on the same route. The S3 was much better than I expected given my usually old school tastes. It just gets up and moves and turns in quite nicely for such a practical car -- really impressive and easy to drive quickly with no drama. That said, 4-door sedans don't do much for me, and as much as I liked the S3, I was drawn to the TT/TTS because of my fond memories of my MKI and my love of small-ish, light-ish coupes. With the same basic drivetrain as the S3 in a lighter, lower, cooler package, what's not to like about the TTS? The TT convertible generally drove well, but it was a bit soft for my tastes with 200 extra lbs. to cart around, the base 18" wheels/tires, and no magnetic ride to tighten up the dampers. Also, the steering felt a bit lighter and less tangible than that of the S3. Joseph suggested that the steering on all S cars is tuned differently than their normal counterparts, so it's likely that the steering on the TTS will feel more like the S3. That said, Circle Audi doesn't have a TTS yet -- they're expecting one soon -- so neither of us could know for sure.

So, my questions:

The TTS coupe is getting great marks for it's Electronic Power Steering system, considered far better than the S3's. In all fairness the base roadster is the least sporty drive of the models coming to North America (with no S line option in the U.S.)

Make no judgements until you drive a TTS coupe would be my advice.

With Mag Ride the TTS in comfort mode is considered to have a good ride for a Sports Car.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I'm always grateful when people possess and share such useful information so freely about a relatively rare car. A few more thoughts:

I'm not bagging on the TT steering, but it is considerably different from what I'm used to driving now and in the past. I recognize that I'm going to end up with electric power steering on almost any new car, but I'd still prefer more weight and road feel, though the latter seems unlikely to be changeable via Drive Select. The TT steering was very responsive, but the road feel was almost non-existent and I've read a few professional reviews that specifically mention the same. But again, it's not a deal killer for me, just something I'll need to adjust to, especially at the track where I'm used to feeling the grip through the wheel among other mediums. FWIW, I test drove a friend's 2015 Cayman last weekend and its EPS is very, very good. Had I not known it was electric, I probably would not have guessed it. As usual, Porsche sets the benchmark, but it also costs a good deal more. Conversely, the EPS on my wife' 2012 328i (F30) was awful -- that car is gone and not missed at all!

I switched between comfort and dynamic modes on both the S3 and TT Roadster while I drove the dealer's regular test loop, and I recognize more significant behavioral changes in the S3. Maybe the distinction between modes will be greater in the TTS, but I recognize that I won't really know until I drive one. Circle is expecting their first launch edition TTS in 2-3 weeks and, provided it's not pre-snagged by someone before it arrives, they'll let me drive the same loop so I can get a hands-on comparative experience. I can't wait!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, and how could I forget: I LOVE the fact that the TT & TTS come with compact spares. I ditched the runflats on my current car and had the bad fortune of a punctured rear tire on the freeway a while back. It drained all its air within 90 seconds, which really sucked. Since then, I started carrying a full spare in my trunk which, while prudent, is a bit impractical as it eats up the middle of the trunk. I shed almost 40 lbs. of unsprung weight at the corners...and dumped a 40 lb. wheel/tire combo in the trunk! Still a fair trade overall. Anyhow, seeing the compact spare in the back of the TT almost brought a tear to my eye.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I was similarly impressed when I first saw the full sized but accordian-deflated with pump spare in my Allroad well. It really is the little things and Audi does an excellent job.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

I switched between comfort and dynamic modes on both the S3 and TT Roadster while I drove the dealer's regular test loop, and I recognize more significant behavioral changes in the S3. Maybe the distinction between modes will be greater in the TTS, but I recognize that I won't really know until I drive one. Circle is expecting their first launch edition TTS in 2-3 weeks and, provided it's not pre-snagged by someone before it arrives, they'll let me drive the same loop so I can get a hands-on comparative experience. I can't wait!
It is likely that the S3 you drove had magnetic ride which is why you noticed more on a casual test drive. However, with the TT in dynamic mode and the quattro system having a rear power bias, you should definitely feel more than the S3.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
It is likely that the S3 you drove had magnetic ride which is why you noticed more on a casual test drive. However, with the TT in dynamic mode and the quattro system having a rear power bias, you should definitely feel more than the S3.
Yeah, I certainly didn't drive too aggressively on the test loop, so the effects of the two Quattro systems were more difficult to discern than the steering and suspension changes. I clearly felt the changes in the S3 more than the TT -- it transformed from fairly normal to surprisingly sharp whereas the TT's changes were more subtle. I suspect with magnetic ride, the changes on the TTS will feel equally transformative. My open question is how the steering will change between modes on the TTS relative to the TT.

Quick Reply: Possible MK3 Buyer With Questions