TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Question on snow tire use

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on snow tire use

I have a 2016 TT that was delivered with all season tires. Has anyone driven the TT on snow with all season tires? How was it? I live in New York so I can't say we have that much snow.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kevin880
I have a 2016 TT that was delivered with all season tires. Has anyone driven the TT on snow with all season tires? How was it? I live in New York so I can't say we have that much snow.
I am in the Denver area and have had my 2016 for over a year now. I ran Blizzak Snows last season. There was a little snow before i got the Snows on last year and this year we had a little snow 2 weeks ago before i switched over. I didn't seem to have any issues with the all seasons in either case but it was limited use. I can tell you that i have never had an issue with the snows on. As in NEVER. Denver winter, ICE snow or slush just drove last winter without even giving it a second thought. Even if the all seasons are "good enough", having the peace of mind is totally worth it in my book.

Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin880
How was it? I live in New York so I can't say we have that much snow.

Use public transportation when the going gets tough?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This weekend, I traveled from Detroit to Toronto in weather that was wet and in the 30-40 F range. I was sure happy that I had my winters on. 100% confidence. I am not sure if I could say the same if I had all-seasons.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can't speak directly. A lot depends on precisely which AS tires you happen to have. I did run my Golf R (mk VI) on conti DWS AS tires and they were actually quite good in a few inches of snow. Much more than that and with a TT you're a snow plow anyway. YMMV, of course.

T'were I you, I'd go over to tire rack, look up whatever tires you have and see how people reviewed them for snow use. Again, no guarantee, but if every one thinks there great or garbage, you'll at least be forewarned.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

That's exactly what I did prior to putting some AS Hankook's on my Winter-beater Mazda [they were offering same in Oct as part of a buy 3 get one for a dollar promotion]. Ironically I have better, dedicated Michelin Alpin snow tires, on my TTS.

Originally Posted by Tailwagger
...T'were I you, I'd go over to tire rack, look up whatever tires you have and see how people reviewed them for snow use. Again, no guarantee, but if every one thinks there great or garbage, you'll at least be forewarned.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

This will be the second winter I've had DWS 06s on the 2016 TTS here in Minnesota, and they work very well. (Also had them on the 2000 TT before the TTS.) These are a significant improvement over the original DWS construction. Travel to NY and back via Ontario also had no troubles. They probably won't work too well in deep snow, but the TTS ground clearance pretty much precludes that anyway.

- Chuck
Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I live on Long Island, so not so much snow, too. You can probably get away with the All Season's, but a blizzard or ice storm will probably keep you house bound.
Tire Rack has pre selected bundles of winter tires that will keep you on the road and keep your all season tires from wearing out so fast.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My TTS has summer tires so I'll have to get a set of snows. Trying to decide between running AS, since the DWS tires sound like they're fine for light snow duty, or dedicated winters. Glad to see other NY'ers here. Let's do a East Coast meetup in the Spring.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Tread depth is an important consideration. During the last TT West we ran into a blizzard while crossing some mountains and spent about an hour in 4" of fresh snow. I had new summer tires and had no problems but folks with well worn 4/32" of tread all seasons had some skidding. I also take my summers to ski resorts and have no issues on plowed/cindered snow/ice covered roads. From everything have read, the main difference between a good fresh set of all-seasons and good winter tires is ice traction.