TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Quick Review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Review.

Ok I drove it. Here are my impressions. By this time tomorrow, I may actually own it. So I can answer more questions.... post them in the thread.

Observations.
- The car is very wide. Like 72" wide... like optical illusion this is a small car... but up close you realize.... wow this car is wide. I LIKE THIS.

- The lip on the doors is nice. I really liked the ones on the S-Line.... but I gotta say these are just as nice. My concern is that when getting in and out of the car these door sills are gonna get dinged up fast..... I might put paint protector film on these areas.....

- This is a true TT Sport. No Sline in or out. (except the Nappa seats (if you got that option))

- the Armrest like the guys in the UK have said is USELESS. Way too far back not a good cup holder or armrest... just too short. Not a big deal. Did not notice unless my wife told me.

- On the roadster there is a passthru for skis (and a ski bag is included). I dont think I will EVER use this feature.....HOWEVER... there is a nice cubby hole and shelf back there..... makes up for the tiny glovebox.

-The glovebox is tiny... bigger than I expect... but tiny nonetheless. The CD/CS car media center takes up a ton of space.

- On the roadster the rear wind deflector is heavenly. Best deflector I have EVER seen. PERIOD.

- The noise top up and top down is WAY WAY WAY better than my MINI.... even at highway speeds I was able to hold a conversation with my wife.... we both liked this LOTS!

- MMI.... you know I hate to say it.... I did not test this that much.... its a tad overwhelming when you get in the car. it looks awesome....

-B&O sound is VERY nice. But honestly not as nice as the Porsche Bose.

- Road Noise from tires.... Not bad... but I am coming from a Mini.

- Handling..... FAR SUPERB to my MINI.... just awesome.

- The phone box is also AWESOME. Super Deep .....My iphone 6 does not fit flat... but it does fit. when I say deep i mean like 5" deep! Not sure how I am going to use this but its very nice. USBs inside.

-HVAC controls.... as nice as all the videos say they are.... just super nice.

- Nappa Seat. - I honestly was expecting more here..... but they are still nice. in my build pictures they look shiny..... i hate to say it but I like that.... its pretty dull nappa leather look. Still very nice and not a deal killer by any means.

- MMI ****.... used it more than I thought..... so kuddos.

- the windshield is very long....

- drive impressions.... dreamy. sporty overall... super sporty when in dynamic. did not try any custom stuff....

- I dont think the car has auto shut off...... which is surprising.....I excpected it. the UK versions and all other regions have it.

- missing 2 buttons. Auto Shutoff and PArking Assist (full park remote).
Old 07-31-2015, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe the kill engine while stopped is an *option* in the UK as those guys constantly complain about all the options they need to add over there

Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good!

So you're saying there's no "metal" plate on the door sill? That's a bummer, I thought it would've been the S-line one (due to the interior).

I like arm rests... so hope it'll work for me

Have you ever driven any of the previous TT models?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice review. As a point of reference, have you driven/owned prior generation TTs?

I'm not a huge fan of Bose, so I found that your take on the B&O interesting. Of course it's hard to compare apples and oranges when it comes to audio. There is so many factors, such as general car design, speaker quantity and placement, and total wattage.

Regarding the armrest, Mk1 didn't even have one, but could get one aftermarket. Mk2 armrest basically constituted a pad on top of the e-brake lever. I was glad to see a more traditional armrest on the Mk3. I thought I recall seeing a video where the guy was able to slide it forward or backwards? Was that possible?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default The pass-through has more utility than just long skinny objects

Originally Posted by ShooTTer McGavin
Nice review. As a point of reference, have you driven/owned prior generation TTs?

I'm not a huge fan of Bose, so I found that your take on the B&O interesting. Of course it's hard to compare apples and oranges when it comes to audio. There is so many factors, such as general car design, speaker quantity and placement, and total wattage.

Regarding the armrest, Mk1 didn't even have one, but could get one aftermarket. Mk2 armrest basically constituted a pad on top of the e-brake lever. I was glad to see a more traditional armrest on the Mk3. I thought I recall seeing a video where the guy was able to slide it forward or backwards? Was that possible?
Even for somewhat wider objects, if you open the door on the trunk side of the pass-through it provides a few more inches to fit something in. My boogie board fits only if I open the trunk passthrough door.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Suspension firmness? Were you on optional 19's?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jinx32
Suspension firmness? Were you on optional 19's?
I drove a MK3 coupe in Minneapolis briefly yesterday morning. This had the 19" rims, but I have no idea what the tire pressures were set at. Felt softer than my MK1, but I keep pressures on the high end with that one. This was also on smooth roads (salesman in the car), so it's not exactly a real-world test.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

i thought it was perfect and in dynamic is was sporty.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Day 2 with my Mk3 after 5 years with a 3.2 Mk2. The armrest slides forward and raises three levels, but in that position it covers the main cup holder. Glovebox is much bigger than mk2, owners manual actually fits.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

the armrest can be moved up and down..... no way.. running out to check this out!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cr8nA4
Day 2 with my Mk3 after 5 years with a 3.2 Mk2. The armrest slides forward and raises three levels, but in that position it covers the main cup holder. Glovebox is much bigger than mk2, owners manual actually fits.
I actually got excited about the bigger glovebox lol... haha

I had a 3.2 Mk2 6MT Roadster until beginning of this year too! How do you like the new one compared to the old?

Quick Reply: Quick Review.