TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Really stupid question but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really stupid question but...

Is it possible to replace 18” tires with 19”tires without changing the wheels? Really sorry if this was an asinine question.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Basically no. However you can get an 18" tire [for your stock 18" rim] with a taller sidewall than OEM, if that's what you're trying to achieve.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I don't think you thought it through

Originally Posted by Huey52
Basically no. However you can get an 18" tire [for your stock 18" rim] with a taller sidewall than OEM, if that's what you're trying to achieve.
All auto manufacturers and most tuners select rim/tire combinations that keep the overall diameter of the tire/rim combination the same irrespective of rim size. They do this so that the speedometer, etc do not read in error, and there are no body clearance issues. So when folks go to a larger rim size, the tire fills the same space in the wheel well as a smaller rim. The "look" of a 19" rim is a shorter sidewall compared to an 18" rim, not a taller sidewall. So you could achieve the look of a 19" rim by using a lower profile tire on an 18" rim, but your speedometer is going to be in error and the rim/tire combination is going to look slightly smaller in the wheel well.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all, for being patient and answering my questions.

i am now starting to understand why people lower their cars and add bigger wheels. I do like the idea of 19” tires but don’t want tons of sidewall, so doing just the tires is probably out. I just worry about tiny sidewalls give the craptastic road conditions out here.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We weren’t discussing the norm. Of course that’s what manufacturers consider, but modders often defy same even if it is contrary to the design intent. I wasn’t advocating.

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
All auto manufacturers and most tuners select rim/tire combinations that keep the overall diameter of the tire/rim combination the same irrespective of rim size. They do this so that the speedometer, etc do not read in error, and there are no body clearance issues. So when folks go to a larger rim size, the tire fills the same space in the wheel well as a smaller rim. The "look" of a 19" rim is a shorter sidewall compared to an 18" rim, not a taller sidewall. So you could achieve the look of a 19" rim by using a lower profile tire on an 18" rim, but your speedometer is going to be in error and the rim/tire combination is going to look slightly smaller in the wheel well.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never understood the need for skinny sidewalls. To me it looks weird.
Add to that, the ride gets worse, and the tires have less 'give' on rough roads and end up getting destroyed.
Going to 19 inch rims should be fine.
I had the 20" rims, but moved to 19" for winter tires. The ride is much better and the tires have not shown any signs of damage- Unlike the tires on the 20's.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gbob
Add to that, the ride gets worse, and the tires have less 'give' on rough roads and end up getting destroyed.
I had the 20" rims, but moved to 19" for winter tires. The ride is much better and the tires have not shown any signs of damage- Unlike the tires on the 20's.
this was many moons ago but I had a Saab with 19” wheels and the dealer at inspection told me they were dented up beyond belief due to the crappy roads. I’d bought the Saab used and the dealership was shady as all hell, but that left a bad impression with me.

my 1 yr inspection said the tires have plenty of life left so I can’t justify buying an all new set. Probably when these are ready to be replaced I will upgrade to the 19” wheels/tires combo.

Need to figure out a way to justify coilovers to the wife first....
Old 04-23-2018, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The only mechanics-physics reason for extremely low profile tires is to reduce tire rollover, to maintain a more consistent contact patch, in hard turns on the track. In the real world of poor road daily driving they only serve aesthetics, that is if 20" cartoonish-approaching rims with rubber bands are your thing (sorry, but imho). Of course younger folks like 20" black rims, so you can't blame Audi for following their demographic.

I just this weekend swapped back from my 18" 240x45 Michelin to OEM 19" 245x35 Hankook and even those make a somewhat negative difference in ride comfort (note that Winter tires are also a softer compound). Although aesthetically I do like the looks of the 19" Silver rims over the 18" ... but that's my limit.

Originally Posted by Gbob
Old 04-23-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huey52
The only mechanics-physics reason for extremely low profile tires is to reduce tire rollover, to maintain a more consistent contact patch, in hard turns on the track. In the real world of poor road daily driving they only serve aesthetics, that is if 20" cartoonish-approaching rims with rubber bands are your thing (sorry, but imho). Of course younger folks like 20" black rims, so you can't blame Audi for following their demographic.

I just this weekend swapped back from my 18" 240x45 Michelin to OEM 19" 245x35 Hankook and even those make a somewhat negative difference in ride comfort (note that Winter tires are also a softer compound). Although aesthetically I do like the looks of the 19" Silver rims over the 18" ... but that's my limit.
Huey, what is tire rollover...another stupid question? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Really stupid question but...