TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Replaced Summer 19" Tires

Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replaced Summer 19" Tires

The OEM Hankook summer tires on my 2016 TTS were down to 3/32 after 12000 miles of hard driving. I didn't like the rough ride on 19s, especially on the broken up roads in my area, so I replaced the Hankooks with all season Pirelli P Zero AS Plus in 255/35R19. Now the ride is more comfortable and the car still takes a corner faster than I'll ever push it on public roads. Michelin PS A/S 3+ were also in the running, but Tire Rack testers said that those tires have a harder ride and a bit more road noise. There are some minor drawbacks that probably should be expected with the softer sidewall, and additional tread blocks and siping on an AS tire, at least compared to my worn out Hankooks. I can feel the sidewalls/tread flex a bit at turn-in, and there is a little bit more tread noise. That said, the ride improvement makes this a change for the better overall.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’d never go with a soft side wall. The steering is plenty numb already.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I expected and noted the same more comfortable ride when I recently went with 19" Michelin AS's. Of course not quite as responsive as Summer tires, but worth it to me in my less than ideal pavement area. And also no longer wanting to store/swap wheels twice a year.

Originally Posted by Jeffc
The OEM Hankook summer tires on my 2016 TTS were down to 3/32 after 12000 miles of hard driving. I didn't like the rough ride on 19s, especially on the broken up roads in my area, so I replaced the Hankooks with all season Pirelli P Zero AS Plus in 255/35R19. Now the ride is more comfortable and the car still takes a corner faster than I'll ever push it on public roads. Michelin PS A/S 3+ were also in the running, but Tire Rack testers said that those tires have a harder ride and a bit more road noise. There are some minor drawbacks that probably should be expected with the softer sidewall, and additional tread blocks and siping on an AS tire, at least compared to my worn out Hankooks. I can feel the sidewalls/tread flex a bit at turn-in, and there is a little bit more tread noise. That said, the ride improvement makes this a change for the better overall.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
I expected and noted the same more comfortable ride when I recently went with 19" Michelin AS's. Of course not quite as responsive as Summer tires, but worth it to me in my less than ideal pavement area. And also no longer wanting to store/swap wheels twice a year.
Yep. I have the same Pirelli tires on my winter 18” wheels. I might get another winter season out of them and then I’ll use the 19s year-round.

Anyone want to buy a set of stock 2016 Audi TT 18” wheels with tires? The tires have 6/32 tread on them.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ourlee
I’d never go with a soft side wall. The steering is plenty numb already.
You think the TTS feels numb? I guess numb is a relative term. I drive my friend’s Boxster. I’ll admit that it feels a LITTLE more responsive, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say the TTS feels numb in comparison to the Porsche. Except for the too firm suspension, the TTS is a lot more comfortable and practical for daily driver usage. Well worth the minor trade-off.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I do. Every mod I’ve done is in effort to sharpen it up, including the 4s tires.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wheels

Yep. I have the same Pirelli tires on my winter 18” wheels. I might get another winter season out of them and then I’ll use the 19s year-round.

Anyone want to buy a set of stock 2016 Audi TT 18” wheels with tires? The tires have 6/32 tread on them.
You think the TTS feels numb? I guess numb is a relative term. I drive my friend’s Boxster. I’ll admit that it feels a LITTLE more responsive, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say the TTS feels numb in comparison to the Porsche. Except for the too firm suspension, the TTS is a lot more comfortable and practical for daily driver usage. Well worth the minor trade-off.
hi just purchased a used 2016 tt and registered on here just now.
i was thinking I may like a set of stock 18s for it for winter use
Where are you located ?
Thanks
darn if I can figure out how to send private message on here
Old 05-03-2019, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

ourlee has a TT. The TTS with MagRide in Dynamic would likely feel a bit sharper to him. But the other side of that coin is that it can seem too firm at times, dependent on tires and road surfaces.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ssscamaro
hi just purchased a used 2016 tt and registered on here just now.
i was thinking I may like a set of stock 18s for it for winter use
Where are you located ?
Thanks
darn if I can figure out how to send private message on here
I'm in the far north suburbs of Chicago. Sorry it took so long to reply.