TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement Key

I lost one of my 2016 TTS keys I imagine when I turn in the car they will want two, and I'll need to pay a pretty penny to get a replacement. Is there a more cost-effective way to get such a replacement without being fleeced by the dealer?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Lolster, I'm assuming you're worried about a lease return? Other cars I've owned had a procedure to program a new key yourself. This manual doesn't, so you're likely to need to go through the dealer. I'm also not having any luck finding a fob through 3rd party site. I think it'll probably cost less if you go in and are just honest and deal with it before the return. No worries, happens to the best of us!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah thats exactly my concern. I've looked and not found anything online either, only suggestions that this version of Audi key is not one that can be replaced except from the main dealer. I've heard the cost of key and programming to be around $500 *sigh*. I did hear that its possible to have equity in your lease if the car is worth more than the residual value in your contract. Mine for example is quite a bit lower mileage. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to take it from something like that.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lease a new one and they will forgive you
Old 05-01-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tordoc
lease a new one and they will forgive you
haha, already on order!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you buy the excess wear lease coverage? If so, that could potentially cover the cost because the fob is an item in the vehicle inspection. I could be wrong about that but I had my inspection yesterday and they took a picture of both fobs.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fun101
Did you buy the excess wear lease coverage? If so, that could potentially cover the cost because the fob is an item in the vehicle inspection. I could be wrong about that but I had my inspection yesterday and they took a picture of both fobs.
I did not. I have my end of lease inspection in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'll see what transpires and go from there.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone who regularly buys off-lease Audis for our store, it is assumed that the previous owner purchased a new key, but didn't program it. They only check for the presence of the key, not the programming of said key.

TLDR: Buy a new key, but don't program it. Save $300.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DtPuma
As someone who regularly buys off-lease Audis for our store, it is assumed that the previous owner purchased a new key, but didn't program it. They only check for the presence of the key, not the programming of said key.

TLDR: Buy a new key, but don't program it. Save $300.
Ha, yeah actually I did think of this as a strategy. I assume I need to buy it from the main dealer? Won't they think it a bit odd that I don't want it programmed?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolster
Ha, yeah actually I did think of this as a strategy. I assume I need to buy it from the main dealer? Won't they think it a bit odd that I don't want it programmed?
You can buy it from any dealer, just like you can turn your lease in at any dealer. I promise they've seen it many times before, and they are just happy to sell a part and make a nice profit.

I buy probably 10 off lease Audis per month, and I've had one this year so far that didn't need the second key programmed.

Quick Reply: Replacement Key