TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Squeaking, nay, SCREAMING brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Squeaking, nay, SCREAMING brakes

My carbon ceramics have been getting extremely loud lately. It's not all the time -- as I'm driving, they'll get louder then quieter or vice versa randomly. Sometimes they are so loud that it's physically painful to hear with the windows down.

Does anyone have a solution? They are working fine, but holy crap are they loud.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started getting a really loud whooping/howling at ~1K miles. Would come and go, no obvious pattern. By ~3K miles, it got louder and more frequent so I took it to the dealership and they said the caliper on the front right was sticking (?) so they replaced it. The howling returned the next day. Then the dealer replaced the rotor, thinking it was slightly warped and causing the pad to drag. No real improvement so I tried another dealer. I got a "helpful" response: "carbon ceramics are noisy, it's the same with the R8, deal with it"

On a happy note, I've got ~9K miles on it now and it rarely howls anymore.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I wanted to give an update on this. It looks like Audi might be replacing some parts on my brakes. I gave to them some videos from my dash cam, plus they confirmed the sound when they drove the car. I'm currently in a loaner.