TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Straight line acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight line acceleration

Hey,

I am choosing between two cars currently available in the market.

Audi 2016 TTS Awd Auto.
BMW 2016 M240i Rwd Auto.

I have read good posts and articles for both these cars. Both praised. Where I live the m240i is a bit cheaper but of course the TTS offers a sportier driving position.

As the topic suggests, which car do you reckon will be faster but without launch control. I know with launch control the TTS will be faster 0 to 60

I have sat in both cars but unfortunately only the 230bhp tt and the 230i.

So please give your opinion on which car you reckon will be faster from a roll.

Lead
Old 11-20-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Both great cars. The 2 series is on almost every magazine's 10 best list while the TT is not. I'm a big TT fan, having owned several roadsters since 2001. Audi does not sell a TTS roadster in the US so my decision is between a base TT and a 2 series next time I buy. Since you say 230 hp TT, I assume you are in Europe since the US version has less HP, and all of my comments are regarding US cars. I've driven a 230 and M240 back to back and the 240 is a substantially different car. Faster, better brakes, and stiffer suspension. The 230 with the M or track package should have similar braking and suspension but they are almost impossible to find unless you custom order. The 240 is well worth the slight extra cost compared to the 230 with the package. According to Car & Driver's Lightning Lap track testing, the M235 is faster than the TTS, so the M240 should have an even larger advantage. Therefore, the 240 is MUCH faster than a base TT and can be bought for about the same price as a base TT (depending on options selected). So I don't understand your comment about cost because the M240, after discounts (typically much more that Audi) and rebates, is MUCH cheaper than a TTS. Also, the BMW comes with several years of free service. Most reviewers agree that the TT interior is better than the BMW. I'm not that picky since both seem adequate to me. The TT's virtual dash is a big plus however. Also, BMW offers many more paint and interior colors and are much less restrictive on paint and interior pairings. The TT palate is Spartan by comparison but if you are a fan of monochromatic cars, then this is not a factor for you. One big negative for me since I do a lot of long distance rural driving in the West is that the 2 series has no spare tire but the TT does. So a lot of the 2 series trunk will be taken up by a spare for me. The other big intangible is exclusivity. At least several times a month, folks approach me asking what kind of car I'm driving. That will never happen in almost any BMW because they are everywhere and look so similar (folks on 2 series forums say that the 2 is distinctive but that is laughable to me). I can't tell a 1 series from 2 series from 3 series unless I look at the badging. For most of the past 10 years only about 2000 TTs are sold annually in the US making it a very unique car and something special to drive, a relatively inexpensive exotic sports car that sets you apart from the crowd.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 11-20-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

My two cents, after owning a TTS and driving several sporty BMW's, is that Audi makes luxury AND luxury-sport cars. BMW makes luxury cars, some of which are sporty. The interior's of sports Audi's are much more aggressive, and they look and feel like sports cars. As @Vegas-roadster said, while the BMW may be fast, you'll never have someone come up and comment on your BMW M. They almost all have the same interior and dash, and a lot of people would never understand the difference between a BMW M model and it's similar, normal model. They WILL notice your TT, even the base one, as a sports car. Just boils down to what you're looking for. Do you want an understated, refined BMW with lots of options? Or do you want a car that much more screams "fast" or "sports"? I'm 28, like showing off, and went for the latter. haha Plus, AWD > RWD. Again, just my two-cents.