TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Suggestions for replacing OEM Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Suggestions for replacing OEM Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2

I just took the Hankook OEM summer tires off of my 2016 TTS. I have Pirelli P Zero A/S+ on 18" rims for winter driving. The Pirellis are quiet, comfortable and handle very well. For my purposes they are good winter tires, too.

At 12500 miles the Hankooks tread is 3/32" deep and is evenly worn down to the tread wear bars. Is 12500 typical of the mileage that other owners have experienced with these tires?

I've narrowed my choices for 19" tires down to two. First choice is a stock size Conti DWS06. Second is a 255/35-19 Pirelli P Zero A/S+. The Pirellis get slightly better Editors Reviews on Tire Rack, but I think I'd rather stick to the stock size if the Contis get good real world reviews from TTS owners.

Does anyone have experience with the stock size DWS06 tires on 19" rims? Also, is a 255/35 tire a good alternative on the TTS?

Last edited by Jeffc; 10-23-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

The Bridgstone Potenza S001 have been EXCELLENT for me. I have gotten over 20,000 miles of driving, including numbers track days. Provided a quiet ride all the way to the end of their life, and pretty exceptional grip for track use. Work great in wet weather as well. Highly recommend this set up...I was soooo glad my car got delivered from the factory with these over the Hankook alternative. The S-04 is extremely similar, but much cheaper since it is not a AO tire, so I replaced the factory tires with these. Can't tell any difference between the too, seems to be an excellent choice for these cars.

Last edited by farmerjones; 10-23-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input. Actually, I'm glad the Hankooks wore out so soon. Now I can switch to a 19" All Season tire and hopefully soften the ride considerably. My question is whether anyone has tried a 19" Conti DWS06 or another 19" AS tire, and did they noticed a big difference in ride comfort. Also, has anyone tried a 255/35-19 AS tire and did that improve the ride? There are very few choices for an AS tire in the stock 19" size.

Last edited by Jeffc; 10-24-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Originally Posted by Jeffc
Thanks for the input. Actually, I'm glad the Hankooks wore out so soon. Now I can switch to a 19" All Season tire and hopefully soften the ride considerably. My question is whether anyone has tried a 19" Conti DWS06 or another 19" AS tire, and did they noticed a big difference in ride comfort. Also, has anyone tried a 255/35-19 AS tire and did that improve the ride? There are very few choices for an AS tire in the stock 19" size.
I normally stick with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, or Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Noticeably more comfortable when I historically put on my 18” Winter rims with Michelin Alpin tires. I’m hoping for similar with my upcoming 19” with Michelin A/S. I don’t expect quite as much at 19” but should still be better. I really dislike Bridgestone tires.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again to all for the input.

Pilot Sport 4S probably handle great, but I don't need a Max Performance Summer tire. Even with an AS tire on it, the TTS takes a turn faster than I'll ever push it.

Mich Pilot Sport A/S 3+ have good reviews from Tire Rack staff. They report that the tire might handle a little better than the other AS tires that they tested, but they also have a bit rougher ride.

Conti DWS 06 get slightly better rating for ride comfort. That's my top priority.

Tire Rack's reviews were right on target for the Pirelli P Zero A/S+ that I put on my 18s, so I'll trust them when it comes down to their Mich vs Conti comparison. Too bad that Pirellis don't come in 245/35-19.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I called Tire Rack. The guy recommended the Mich PS A/S 3+ over the DWS6 for ride comfort and low noise. That doesn't agree with their comments regarding ride comfort in their tire test.

He also said that Max Performance Summer tires do not have a rougher ride than All Season tires. If that is true I might consider the Pilot Sport 4S. Need to do more homework on that issue.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, has anyone tried a 255/35-19 AS tire and did that improve the ride? There are very few choices for an AS tire in the stock 19" size.
Going from stock (245/35R19) to 255/35/19 you are only increasing your sidewall .1" - you wont notice any difference in ride quality with that small of a change based on the size change alone. I am dumping my stock Hankook 19's in favor of the Michelin PS4s or PSS after only 5k miles. I have always been a fan on the Michelin Pilot line and from what it seams the only tire to come close to challenging the new PS4s is the Continental Sport Contact 6.

Another plus, in the 255/35R19 size the PS4s comes in their 'limited edition premium touch' sidewall as an option. Its a cool velvet look checkered sidewall.

I know you are looking for AS, but since you have dedicated winter tires why shortchange the TT, especially since you have the TTS, with all seasons? All seasons have come a long way with some of the new offerings, but you can push them over on hard turns more easily that summer rubber. With our 35 profile sidewall, you wont gain anything noticeable ride quality wise going all season over summer (save for treadlife).
Old 10-24-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I should have done the math. The other advantage of going 255 is that it adds some other tires to my list of choices. I don't care as much about tread life as I do about ride comfort. I'm going to look further into that difference between AS and Summer tires. Don't have to decide until next Spring. Another factor, if I go AS I can leave the 19s on year round.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Michelin make the best tires. I use the 4S and they’re the best. Quiet, comfortable and competent well beyond my skills. Any Michelin will be the right choice.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for replacing OEM Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2