TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Summer vs All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer vs All Season Tires

I purchased a 2016 TT for my wife and she loves the car. The car has the stock summer tires. We had planned to move from Calgary to the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford this summer but we are held up for a year. I don't want to purchase winter tires and rims as we are planning to stay here one more winter.

As my wife does not drive the TT hard and never will, was thinking of just going with all seasons? I want to get the forum's feedback if I go with a set of all season tires 245/35/R19. Costco here has the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S for $285 CDN and the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS for $220 CDN.

Any thoughts on going all time all season tires?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,

We have all seasons on my wife's TTS as well... Up to 8" of snow.
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 in 245/35ZR20 and 275/30ZR20

My wife is a pretty spirited driver, in all seasons, and they are a great tire!

Last edited by 95wildtt; 06-11-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanko
I purchased a 2016 TT for my wife and she loves the car. The car has the stock summer tires. We had planned to move from Calgary to the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford this summer but we are held up for a year. I don't want to purchase winter tires and rims as we are planning to stay here one more winter.

As my wife does not drive the TT hard and never will, was thinking of just going with all seasons? I want to get the forum's feedback if I go with a set of all season tires 245/35/R19. Costco here has the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S for $285 CDN and the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS for $220 CDN.

Hello there. FIrst, if you're moving to BC, you will NEED winter tires to go north of the city toward Squamish and beyond. Or you will be fined if you're pulled over. Second, Audi Club of North America (Canada) has a relationship with Pirelli and they have some amazing savings (and free delivery) for summer, all seasons and winter tires. So, if you're a member, go to their webiste https://www.audiclubna.ca/ to look at their summer and all winter tires. Gord can send you the Winter Tire price list. You will need to be a member, though. Well worth the dollars to join.

Go check that stuff out first. In BC, you will need winter tires and your insurance rates will be lower with them on, too.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kalch
Hello there. FIrst, if you're moving to BC, you will NEED winter tires to go north of the city toward Squamish and beyond. Or you will be fined if you're pulled over. Second, Audi Club of North America (Canada) has a relationship with Pirelli and they have some amazing savings (and free delivery) for summer, all seasons and winter tires. So, if you're a member, go to their webiste https://www.audiclubna.ca/ to look at their summer and all winter tires. Gord can send you the Winter Tire price list. You will need to be a member, though. Well worth the dollars to join.

Go check that stuff out first. In BC, you will need winter tires and your insurance rates will be lower with them on, too.

Thanks. I'll check Audi Club out. Looks like I'll be swapping the summer with all seasons for practicality right now in Calgary.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 2 sets of Pirelli P Zero A/S+ for my 2016 TTS. One set is 255/35R19 and the other is 245/40R18. I was very pleased with the 18s, so when the OE summer 19s wore out I replaced them with the same Pirelli tire. For some reason the 19s are a bit louder than I experienced with the 18s and they tramline a little bit. If I did it over I'd still opt for all-seasons, but I'd be tempted to try Tire Rack's second choice, Michelin PS A/S 3+ in a 245. I spoke to a Tire Rack guy and he insisted that the Conti DWS 06 was much louder than the other two tires.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I currently run Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S's. They were just fine this past Winter and very good now in the warmth as well. A bit of a compromise in both regards of course from dedicated Winter/Summer, but not much in my experience. Michelin = more comfortable ride all seasons as well.

245/35ZR19

Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hanko

As others said you will need winter tires if you drive away from the coast. The question then is summer or A/S tires as well. I considered that and chose 235x35-19 Pirrelli PZero AS+ over Michelin or Continental. I am satisfied with my decision although the tires are a little noisier on rough pavement than I expected, noise being a major factor.
Noise is about the same as Michelin X-Ice 18" (quite good) but much quieter than Contis ultra performance and appreciably cheaper. I do not (cannot) push the car to the tires limits and doubt many can. I do not see a performance compromise relative to the summer Contis. Comfort is better than the Contis, not as soft as the winter tires not a major factor.
Tire life is in the 80k km warranty class so good performance should last longer than for summer tires.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I live on Long Island, NY, where winters can be mild or harsh.
For peace of mind, I would get a set of winter tires/tyres from TireRack (TyreWraque?).
The cost is minimal (under $2K), but being safe is priceless.
Bob
Old 06-10-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in Oregon. On my last TT, a Mk2, I had the Conti DWS tires...worked great in all conditions. Went through the passes at 7 thousand feet with ice/snow on the roads, no problem.
I did Not try any roads with snow over 4".