TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Suspension Donk

Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suspension Donk

Hi, recently noticed when reversing after being parked that I get a donk from the suspension somewhere. Sometimes when I am turning the steering, but not sure if that relevant. Anyone else maybe have had a track rod end come loose, or a bushing somewhere? The car is a new TT RS and hasnt had a service yet.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-20-2018, 05:44 PM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be tire chatter. If you are turning at extreme angles while reversing the tire will sometimes drag across the pavement instead of roll. It can sound weird like something is broken.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its a thought, but it is happening even if I am going straight, then just as I turn the wheel a little.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Are your wheels getting wet while you're parked? Could be some brake sticking from hard water evaporation.

Originally Posted by DMouseCA
Hi, recently noticed when reversing after being parked that I get a donk from the suspension somewhere. Sometimes when I am turning the steering, but not sure if that relevant. Anyone else maybe have had a track rod end come loose, or a bushing somewhere? The car is a new TT RS and hasnt had a service yet.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The morning after I wash my car there's always that brake disc flash rust that does adhere, with a dramatic start off sound, until some subsequent braking clears it.

But since so new, could also be shipping suspension bump stops not removed?

Originally Posted by Nebuul
Are your wheels getting wet while you're parked? Could be some brake sticking from hard water evaporation.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

wheels arent getting wet in the garage. I get the usual rotor rust when washing but this is over a week after that and I use the car every day. I will have a good look at the suspension. Other than that I guess I need to go to the dealer and get it checked, just that I dont trust them.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DMouseCA
...I guess I need to go to the dealer and get it checked, just that I dont trust them.
I've been holding off getting my driver's seat de-lamination repaired for the same reason. Sad state of affairs. But of course it's not just Audi.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Huey52,

Forgive me for appearing a wee bit surprised here. De-Lamination? You are speaking about a process of removing vinyl cheapo material from a luxury appointed expensive Roadster? Really?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope. Alas a number of us have had the seat plastic back-shell separate from the leather front (or in my parlance de-lamination). It's a known issue with a TSB that replaces the retention clips and also the airbag.

Not specifically related to this thread but was just lamenting my own distrust of dealership techs, as they gouged my side skirt when removing my passenger seat for this repair.

Originally Posted by Fubar-Retiree
Sorry Huey52,

Forgive me for appearing a wee bit surprised here. De-Lamination? You are speaking about a process of removing vinyl cheapo material from a luxury appointed expensive Roadster? Really?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
The morning after I wash my car there's always that brake disc flash rust that does adhere, with a dramatic start off sound, until some subsequent braking clears it.

But since so new, could also be shipping suspension bump stops not removed?
I had same issue on the driver side rear suspension of a 'Thump" noise when going bumps at normal speed. Only at the drive rear suspension.

Took it in to Audi dealer were my friend works as technician. He said the noise is from the bump stop at the suspension used during transportation.
He loosened it, added some grease and made sure it's all the way to the top where it's suppose to sit.

That made it better, not as loud, but the "thump" noise did not completely go away. I will have them look at it again next time I bring the TTRS in for service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Donk