TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Did you reset the MMI tire pressure alarm-window? You need to do this whenever you swap/rotate tires or change pressures by a significant amount.

Additionally, do you have the optional in-tire TPMS sensors (discrete 4-tire readout) or the stock ABS-computed system? The former is more sensitive to change.

- Switch on the ignition
- Select in the Infotainment System: the Menu button > Vehicle > left control button > Service & Checks > Tire Pressure Monitor
I only switched out wheels and stayed with the stock P-Zeros, so it should be the stock ABS. I verified tired pressure per the guidelines and did reset the tire pressure monitor. Couple days later the tire pressure light came back on. This time I did not check the tire pressure, but simply just reset the monitor. I will still need to wait and see if the monitor gets triggered again.

With th this said, this information is reassuring this is common when switching out new tires and wheels. Is there a way to switch off the monitoring system, should I if so?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by harris4crna
Very good information. Since I replaced the OEM wheels with the HREs I have been getting a tire pressure light stating the need to change tire pressure in the MMI. Anyone else have this issue with your TTRS with or without new wheels.
I have after market wheels and have had problems in the past which have been resolved by:
1. Only measure, set pressure and reset MMI when tires are dead cold.
2. Use a quality tire pressure gage. I use a longacre semi-pro model accurate to .1 of a lb.
3. Double check all measurements.
4. Recheck pressures monthly OR when average ambient air temperatures change more than 20 degrees.
Using these steps, the only time the light comes on is when the tire has lost pressure. This has happened twice on the current set of tires (~18k miles) and both times one the tires (which is specified by the MMI) picked up a nail.

Last edited by McTTRS; 01-21-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McTTRS
I have after market wheels and have problems in the past which have been resolved by:
1. Only measure, set pressure and reset MMI when tires are dead cold.
2. Use a quality tire pressure gage. I use a longacre semi-pro model accurate to .1 of a lb.
3. Double check all measurements.
4. Recheck pressures monthly OR when average ambient air temperatures change more than 20 degrees.
Using these steps, the only time the light comes on is when the tire has lost pressure. This has happened twice on the current set of tires (~18k miles) and both times one the tires (which is specified by the MMI) picked up a nail.
This is great advice and yet again reassuring this is normal with after market wheels. I went to the website to purchase the tire gauge you suggested. Unfortunately, I have found buying aftermarket has at times caused issues.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Why pray tell would you switch it off, if you could? It's saved my bacon a couple times. There may be a VCDS code but otherwise I'm not aware of a way to disable.

I've known folks with other brand track cars who've switched out in-tire TPMS wheels for non-TPMS and therefore had a constant dash alert. But they just put a piece of electrical tape over same.

.... Is there a way to switch off the monitoring system, should I if so?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why pray tell would you switch it off, if you could? It's saved my bacon a couple times. There may be a VCDS code but otherwise I'm not aware of a way to disable.

I've known folks with other brand track cars who've switched out in-tire TPMS wheels for non-TPMS and therefore had a constant dash alert. But they just put a piece of electrical tape over same.
You are correct, I would not want to. I just can imagine how annoying it may become if it was constantly on. I’ll keep it as is. Time to take the car in to get a ceramic coating.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought the tire pressure monitor was going off due to changing to aftermarket wheels. Well no, Audi states it’s due to a slow leak in the tire caused by the establishment who changed out the wheels. They may have cost me a $300.00 tire. Every time I go aftermarket something goes wrong, grrrrr.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Detecting a slow leak has been the primary benefit of TPMS for me.

I thought the tire pressure monitor was going off due to changing to aftermarket wheels. Well no, Audi states it’s due to a slow leak in the tire caused by the establishment who changed out the wheels. They may have cost me a $300.00 tire. Every time I go aftermarket something goes wrong, grrrrr.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have been holding back to switch tires from the P-Zeros to the Michelin PS 4S, but now it may be time. Yes, the shop who changed the wheels will need to take ownership for the one tire, but might as well give them another chance to make it right. They stated they can get the new tires in tomorrow and have them ready on the car in the same day.

Whats your our experience with the P-zeros versus the Michelin PS 4S?

P.S. The slow leak resulted my tire pressure upon evaluation at 12psi.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As anticipated I really like my Michelin PS AS tires. A softer ride yet still excellent performance (and of course all season).

I'm sure the Summer 4S would be even better. Just do it.

I have been holding back to switch tires from the P-Zeros to the Michelin PS 4S, but now it may be time. Yes, the shop who changed the wheels will need to take ownership for the one tire, but might as well give them another chance to make it right. They stated they can get the new tires in tomorrow and have them ready on the car in the same day.

Whats your our experience with the P-zeros versus the Michelin PS 4S?

P.S. The slow leak resulted my tire pressure upon evaluation at 12psi.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

As anticipated I really like my Michelin PS AS tires. A softer ride yet still excellent performance (and of course all season).

I'm sure the Summer 4S would be even better. Just do it.
I did it.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure