TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT instead of TTS - do you regret it? Or are you happy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm on my third base TT roadster. Both of my Mk 1's were the 180 HP version. I've never had regrets. I was always able to keep up or easily lead my 225 HP brethren at TT drive events. I drove the 225 and did not think the increased HP translated into enough performance for me to pay the extra $. A big thing for me was the 180 roadster had a huge trunk as compared to the 225 and I do a lot of long trips. A little know fact was that if you had a flat in the 225 roadster, the flat would not fit in the trunk so you had to keep the trunk open or put the flat in the passenger's lap. When I got the Mk 2 roadster, the extra $8K was too expensive for me. Couple that with the improved engine in the 2011 base model which had the same torque, a more noticeable turbo lag in the TTS, and the TTS had a timing belt instead of a chain, made me comfortable with the decision to buy the base TT. Now I'm seeing used Mk 2 TTS selling for only a few $K more than a comparable base Mk 2, so the TTS is seeing more depreciation.

IMO, the Mk 3 TTS is a whole different animal. The increase in HP is major as compared to the base TT but is it worth $9K more? I'm very happy with my base Mk 2 as a package and the Mk 3 has a slightly better engine, a better Quattro system, and improved handling. So if you liked the 2011+ base TT, you will enjoy the Mk 3 even more. For me, since they did not sell a Mk 2 TTRS roadster in the US, I was lusting for the next best thing in a Mk 3 TTS roadster, but the they decided to not sell that in the US either. So for a die-hard roadster lover, the TT vs TTS question is now moot.

One of the car magazines did an article on cost per extra hp for various cars and the TT, and Audi in general, was well above average, that is it was one of the most expensive to get a HP boost. For comparison, the jump from a BMW 230 to a comparably equipped M240 is only about $4k but that is because a lot of items that are options in the 230 are standard on the 240.

The bottom line is how much HP and torque do you need to have fun? For me, almost all TTs are fun. The only exception is the 2008-2010 Mk 2 base TT sold in the US whose performance was panned by almost all reviewers and I agree. Thankfully they solved that issue in 2011.

Also, relative to one of the earlier comments, the ground clearance is the same irrespective of the wheel diameter. That is, the ground clearance on a TTS with OEM 19" wheels and tires, is virtually the same as one equipped with 20" rims and tires because the 20" rims comes with tires with a smaller sidewall. The total diameter of the rim and tire combination need to be the same so the speedometer etc reads correctly.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 06-27-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my TT in August 2016. There was one car on the lot in the spec I wanted (which was all boxes ticked off). Considering the cash incentive, ability to make a good offer and drive away in the car – I chose it over a TT that I would have to otherwise order as a 2017. There was also an base price increase of over $2k between 2016 and 2017 and a base price increase on the navigation system.

The TTS offers a lot for that extra $10k though. Bigger brakes, stronger engine, bigger turbo, four pipe exhaust and magnetic ride.

However, if you are choosing a TT, you won’t regret it. The appeal of the TT, I think, is the sum of all its performance, tech and style. The S-line option (in Canada) offers most of the interior and exterior enhancements, sport suspension and the 10 mm drop.

I still watch way too many TTRS YouTube videos for my own good. And hit the Unitronic Stage 2 website way too many times for my own good. If I had a TTRS, I would probably still be dreaming about more power.

Things I don’t like about the TT:

(1) The brakes could be a bit better. Only noticed it coming from a fast unanticipated stop in traffic.

(2) I wish I had the shiny mirror caps of the TTS on my white car but I don't think it's worth the $1000+ CAD to buy aluminum matte painted plastic covers (cheaper from China on eBay). In lieu, I plastidipped mine bright aluminum. The colour is perfect, I think, a bit more understated.

(3) Sometimes, I want more power but that was fixed by getting a ECU/TCU combo stage 1+ tune at 8,000 km. Now at 18,000 km and a few road trips later, I'm still very happy and unitronic says the car doesn't not need any special maintenance. In that time, I've only topped up the oil. I chose unitronic because as a Canadian company, they offer a great deal within Canada. They were also responsive and helpful with my questions.

(4) I wish the TT had the option to get magnetic ride but I've never tried it so I don't know what I'm missing anyways.

(5) No center tach display. I don't understand why Audi needs to undermine their flagship virtual cockpit display just to prove a difference between TT/TTS/TTRS. Do it in the hardware instead.

(6) I have a SIM card tray but it's not supported so no WiFi, no Google Earth, no Audi Connect. Since my car is a 2016, that means no CarPlay either. And no means whatsoever to obtain a software or hardware upgrade (other than buying a new car).

Things I like about the TT:

(1) I prefer the plain black front grill on my white car. I dipped the front lip spoiler bright aluminum to protect it and give it some more pop

(2) I prefer two classic fat exhaust pipes. They are difficult to keep clean but I just pretend they have always been black! The rear valance plastic bit is not as nice as the TTS or TTRS but I fixed that by dipping the edge in bright aluminum again for more pop.

(3) I prefer the 19" rims in 5 spoke RS style.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, only you can answer your own question. As you can see from the replies everyone has an opinion, just like something else we all have!

I have no regret whatsoever, I had a Stage 2 A5 and still have Stage 2 GTI. My TT Roadster will remain Stock, it has more than sufficient go power for ME. I traded in a BMW 435i, that was tuned, had 130 more horses than the TT, but damn I'm glad to be back in an Audi.

In my younger days while stationed in Germany, I rode a bike and doing 140mph on the autobahn was a thrill. Fortunately most of that is out of my system.

If you think you need a TTS then by all means purchase one, you're the only one that can make that decision. All of the good folks on these forums have opinions, but ultimately you're the one that has to live with your decision. Go drive them both and see which one suits you best.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned a TT for 15 months with over 25,000 miles, and never regretted not haveing a TTS. The TT is plenty fast and I don't see a $10,000 difference. No matter what you decide, you will love the car....
Old 06-28-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 21tesla
Things I don’t like about the TT:

(1) The brakes could be a bit better. Only noticed it coming from a fast unanticipated stop in traffic.
Put on a set of EBC yellow pads, and you'll be much happier with the stock brake setup. Not a replacement for bigger calipers (ECS Tuning 4 piston 352x32 setup is $1500), but definitely better than stock for about $90.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mk iii TT platform is brilliant. Can't go wrong with any version. Just need to decide the best one for your situation.

This amazing commercial was filmed with a stock TT...

Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one reason why I didn't go for the TT ( actually it was a huge reason ) was because it didn't have the red diamond stich seats! close second was that it lacked the s-line exterior for U.S. models.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daves4
Put on a set of EBC yellow pads, and you'll be much happier with the stock brake setup. Not a replacement for bigger calipers (ECS Tuning 4 piston 352x32 setup is $1500), but definitely better than stock for about $90.
Thank you for the tip ! I'll check them out.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Just put EBC Red Stuff on my Mk 2

Originally Posted by 21tesla
Thank you for the tip ! I'll check them out.
and the increase in initial bite is amazing. Yellow Stuff is better in initial bite but I've seen a lot of posts complaining of occasional brake squeal.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any other comments / thoughts from current TT owners out there? Any regrets?

Quick Reply: TT instead of TTS - do you regret it? Or are you happy?