TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT orders closed for the 2018MY

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRG
Yeah I think production numbers on the RS3 are far higher as are sales numbers. The RS3 is the better daily for the great majority of folks and is a better price to performance value. I don't need the four doors and I actually value the increased cargo space of the TTRS (as well as the better seats and interior) so I don't mind the price premium but for most people I suspect the RS3 is the smarter choice if not the most fun choice.
After tracking both cars at Circuit of the Americans at the Audi Drive Experience I can say unequivocally....the TT RS is head and shoulders about the RS3 in anything but a straight line. That said, the RS3 still is going to be more popular than a small 2 door car...but more popular doesn't make it better. The handling of the TT RS is in an entirely different league.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to my dealer and tried to order a TTRS and was told that the ordering for 2018 had stopped. In 2-3 months, the ordering for the 2019 TTRS will begin and I will get one of those. I'll just have to wait.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Just talked with my local GM. A very early close lending credence to a 2019MY makeover. Rumors are that the drive train will not be changed, unlike the Mk 2 makeover. The early close plus very poor 2018 MY TT sales (down 35% from a dismal 2017) will make the 2018 version a rare car.
I'm not sure about that. I read a few months ago that the new TTRS is being developed. The HP will increase slightly.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...ovCu2WU7FkkRRw

Last edited by USe-car; 05-16-2018 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default The article says "might" not "will"

Originally Posted by USe-car
I'm not sure about that. I read a few months ago that the new TTRS is being developed. The HP will increase slightly.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...ovCu2WU7FkkRRw
Anything is possible but drivetrain changes, if any, will likely be small. I'm not expecting as dramatic a change as the Mk 2 refresh which introduced the highly capable, and very underspeced, TFSI engine in the base TT. IMO Audi purposely underspeced the engine so that TTS sales would not be eroded. (The Mk 2 TTS is still a faster car but the 2011+ base TT closed the gap substantially.) If the refresh is done in the same MY time frame as the Mk 2, it will happen in the 2019MY and the very early close of 2018 orders would seem to confirm that.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Likely cosmetic only

Originally Posted by milo337
I just recently purchased a 2018 TT RS, wonder what changes the 2019 will be
I've heard changes to front and rear lights. For the base TT, some present day options will become standard equipment.
What I'd like to see regarding the TT/TTS line is model consolidation. Drop the TTS badge and call it a TT with a price between the present TT and TTS. I seriously doubt that TTS sales volume in the US covers its US certification cost. The TT line would, hopefully, be reduced to 3 models TT coupe, TT roadster, and TTRS. However, I am also hearing rumors at the dealership that the TT roadster's days are numbered in the US. In fact, I've heard Audi is considering dropping all convertibles except one TBD.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense in regards to the convertible situation. I can't imagine Audi sells many roadsters across their model range, it just doesn't fit their image much anymore. That R8 Spyder on the other hand...yeah, gotta keep that one!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

At Quattro de Mayo in Georgia last week we had 110 cars in attendance. At least 10 % were convertibles, over half were S and RS models and 20 were TTs. Enthusiasts often buy differ cars compared to the typical customer. They are in the minority but they are influential. People pay attention to what cars the enthusiasts drive. How many friends do you have who bought or at lest shopped Audi’s because you had one?
Old 05-17-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRG
That makes sense in regards to the convertible situation. I can't imagine Audi sells many roadsters across their model range, it just doesn't fit their image much anymore. That R8 Spyder on the other hand...yeah, gotta keep that one!
True overall but the enthusiast customer is more likely than others to buy a convertible or a fringe car like the TT.
At Quattro de Mayo in Georgia last weekend we had 110 cars in attendance. About 50% of those were S or RS models More than 10% were convertibles. 20 were TTs, 11 of those Mk3s!
The enthusiast customer is influential in other potiential buyers brand choices. It important to give Hm a product to be enthusiastic about!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Convertible sales are diminishing, again.

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
At Quattro de Mayo in Georgia last week we had 110 cars in attendance. At least 10 % were convertibles, over half were S and RS models and 20 were TTs. Enthusiasts often buy differ cars compared to the typical customer. They are in the minority but they are influential. People pay attention to what cars the enthusiasts drive. How many friends do you have who bought or at lest shopped Audi’s because you had one?
Remember when Cadillac was the last and only manufacturer selling a convertible? Then convertibles were revived in the 80s and came back with a vengeance. During the early years of the Mk 1 TT, about 25% of sales in the US were roadsters. I have not seen actual Audi stats like I did for the Mk 1, but my dealer says that US TT roadster sales are only about 10% now which is why the TTS roadster is not offered in the US any more and the TTRS roadster was never offered.

I guess it depends on you definition of "enthusiast". If you define "enthusiast" in terms of performance, most sports car lovers do not even consider a convertible because of added weight and poorer rigidity (the exception being the Porsches where the boxster is the same weight as the Cayman). If you define "enthusiast" as a lover of the brand, TT roadster owners seem to be more invested, more loyal, and more likely to participate in social events. Despite being a significant minority in sales, TT roadster owners are more likely to attend social events like Quattro. For years, the majority of TT West participants have been roadster owners. I guess roadster owners are more social and have more fun
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any ideas on when we might expect the MY19 TT to drop? I just went and sat in an '18 TTS yesterday and my god is it nice. I think i like it better than the S3.

Quick Reply: TT orders closed for the 2018MY