TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTRS loud ticking noise from engine bay

Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TTRS loud ticking noise from engine bay

My TTRS has just over 1,000km and for the last 200 of those I have been hearing a loud ticking noise at idle and when the engine is under load (engaging the throttle). It can be heard in the cabin with the radio off and is quite pronounced. The thing is I didn't have this ticking sound for the first 800 or so KM. Not sure if it's somehow weather related as it's getting colder here or something I should be worried about. I think I'll contact the dealer just in case but was wondering if anyone noticed anything like this. It sounds really coarse so I'm a bit worried.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by darkhorse
My TTRS has just over 1,000km and for the last 200 of those I have been hearing a loud ticking noise at idle and when the engine is under load (engaging the throttle). It can be heard in the cabin with the radio off and is quite pronounced. The thing is I didn't have this ticking sound for the first 800 or so KM. Not sure if it's somehow weather related as it's getting colder here or something I should be worried about. I think I'll contact the dealer just in case but was wondering if anyone noticed anything like this. It sounds really coarse so I'm a bit worried.
Dropped by the dealer and they said all looks good. Might just be a weather thing but I'm not entirely convinced. Car runs fine so it's probably just my OCD.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhorse

Mine does it too....could be injector firing? Not sure...nothing to worry about.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
Mine does it too....could be injector firing? Not sure...nothing to worry about.
Yea, most likely what it is but it's not the most pleasant sound. We've been hitting some below freezing weather already so that might be making the sounds more pronounced.