TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT RS's new competitor, BMW M2 Comp

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TT RS's new competitor, BMW M2 Comp

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s55-emissions/

Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a Bimmer fan and owner, I was waiting for this car to come out, however, when I saw the final specs and price, in comparison to the TT RS, it does not compete in my opinion. So I traded my car in (M235i with many performance mods) and got my 2018 TT RS with no regrets.

The M2 competition has less sound proofing (to lighten it) so more road noise, is not all wheel drive, it not as fast, people say the suspension is too rough for a daily driver, and in Canada will start over $100K.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by HalifaxMKIIITTRS
As a Bimmer fan and owner, I was waiting for this car to come out, however, when I saw the final specs and price, in comparison to the TT RS, it does not compete in my opinion. So I traded my car in (M235i with many performance mods) and got my 2018 TT RS with no regrets.

The M2 competition has less sound proofing (to lighten it) so more road noise, is not all wheel drive, it not as fast, people say the suspension is too rough for a daily driver, and in Canada will start over $100K.
Unless you want the car primarily for track use, the TTRS is a far better daily driver than any version of the M2. Although the TTRS with the optional fixed suspension may not be any smoother ride.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Yay.....more power...more wheel spin with less grip....drifters will love it and go slower than the TTRS....good for them. Interesting car but not my style.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I needed to hear this. I have been in the market for a M2 for a long time. Since I knew I could not get one through military sales, I looked elsewhere. This is when I came across the Audi TT RS. I have always had an infinity towards the Audi TT for a long time, but never looked into one. I looked into the S3 prior to purchasing my M3 in 2013, but did not like it. At the time I was looking for a raw muscle car, thus I purchased the BMW M3 with the V8. I like tracking it, but did not like it as a DD. I missed the zip zip of my GTI. Since I came across the TT RS with its low RPM torque, I figured this would satisfy my desire for the zip zip. Without actually test driving it, i am dependent on you guys along with the reviews. From what I hear, the Audi TT RS is exactly what I have been looking for.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TTRS and M2

Originally Posted by harris4crna
I needed to hear this. I have been in the market for a M2 for a long time. Since I knew I could not get one through military sales, I looked elsewhere. This is when I came across the Audi TT RS. I have always had an infinity towards the Audi TT for a long time, but never looked into one. I looked into the S3 prior to purchasing my M3 in 2013, but did not like it. At the time I was looking for a raw muscle car, thus I purchased the BMW M3 with the V8. I like tracking it, but did not like it as a DD. I missed the zip zip of my GTI. Since I came across the TT RS with its low RPM torque, I figured this would satisfy my desire for the zip zip. Without actually test driving it, i am dependent on you guys along with the reviews. From what I hear, the Audi TT RS is exactly what I have been looking for.
As a BMW fan, having owned 2 previous to my TTRS I just received, I totally hear you. I have test driven the M3 both V8 and now with turbo V6 as well as the current M4. They are both great cars, but to me I could not get over the size of them—I like smaller cars for the track and don't need 4 seats that would remain empty 99% of the time. My local BMW dealer was trying to convince me to either order an M2 or M4.

Coming from a rear wheel drive car, the power in the TTRS is deceptive as you don't get that big "push" from the rear—with the all wheel drive TTRS it just feels like the the whole car just goes! (hard to describe). With the sport exhaust the sound of the 5-cylinder is awesome—I haven't even used my stereo in the car yet as I just love hearing the car up-and down shift and purr in between. Fit and finish are just as good as the BMW's but the interior is much better with the cockpit display for the driver to me being functional and visually stunning.

I found the 20" wheels and the magnetic suspension very comfortable for daily driving, but if you need some extra softness, you could stick with the 19" wheels. Also mileage so far is good at 10L/100km or 23 mpg—and I have been driving mostly in "dynamic" mode (equivalent to Sport in BMW). I would suggest going to an Audi dealer and even driving a current TT or TTS just to get a "feel" for the layout and handling of the car recognizing that the TTRS will have a significant boost in power over them.

For me, I am completely satisfied with my TTRS and the more I drive it, the more I like it! Just waiting to get in my 1,500 km "break in" so I will have it ready for the track!

Good luck with your new car search!