TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT or TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT or TTS?

After 2 1/2 years in 3 Series BMW I'm ready to switch back to Audi. While at first I wasn't a fan of the new TT it's growing on me. I drove both TT and TTS back to back today. Weirdly enough I almost like the standard TT better. It came with 19" wheels and all bells and whistles. I'm sure it's in my head but the regular TT seemed lighter and more nimble - plus it seem louder!!

I realize the horsepower difference and the exterior details which are different, but I'm wondering if anyone had the same impression? I assume Audi Drive select is not available on the standard TT? Is the TTS lowered compared to the TT? Even with the 19"'s on the wheel arches looked rather empty...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Which 3 series did you have 328 or 335? might help in deciding based on what you currently drive and whether or not you crave more TQ or HP.

We went through he same thing before we settled on the TT. While the TTS is noticeably quicker to us it wasn't worth the 6k+ premium, though effectively the price delta was more than the MSRP difference since we were able to get the TT below invoice whereas we couldn't find a dealer who would do the same on the TTS (may have changed by now). Im also not a big fan of selectable suspension profile, it screws with my ADD and I want to just keep experimenting and fiddling with it - always wondering what the other profile feels like on my current drive!

We live in the burbs of Dallas/Ft Worth, and on my daily commute I go through 3 municipalities where the cops just LOVE to catch anyone going 5 mph the speed limit - so that played a part as well. Just cant have too much fun in a car where I live!

I think it you are already questioning the lack of noticeable enjoyment from your point of view - then you may have already answered your own question. I think Audi did a pretty good job with the TT so the difference is less notable than between the A4 and S4 and likewise the A6 and S6 - i.e. when shopping for my A6 back in 2014 the seats and CF trim alone almost drove me to the S6!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Drive select is standard on all TT models. TTS is -10mm compared to TT.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
Drive select is standard on all TT models. TTS is -10mm compared to TT.
Forgot to address that part of your post. Drive select on the regular TTS goes a step further though and allows for changing of the suspension valving for either a more comfortable or sporty ride.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The frugal Yankee in me was close to going with the TT. In daily driver use I think you'd be hard pressed to differentiate from the TTS.

That being said the magnetic fluid dampers are a particularly inspired technology and as I had some involvement with DARPA testing of same many years ago it was impossible to pass up.

And also this time I decided not to leave horsepower lying on the table I knew I would regret.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all - very useful. I'm driving a 13 328 - the 4 cylinder from that model year sounds terrible (almost like a diesel at start up) and you have to press hard to get any performance out of it. While the chassis is still great (plus it's a manual!!) something is clearly missing. Should have gone for the 335, much better engine.

I'm leaning towards the TT as the dealer seems willing to negotiate. The interior is simply spectacular, and that's where I will spend the most time anyway. Way above BMW.

Wondering what's the latest on the TTRS - probably still at least 2 years away from the US??
Old 01-14-2016, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends what you want the car for, I just need to drive to the tennis court, to costco and an occasional ride to the ocean.
TT is plenty to impress neighbors and colleges and therefor why not go all the way and forgo all additional options. LOL

X. (VY)
Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought almost everyone on this site was TTS, or nothing. I'm glad I got the TT. As noted the price difference is just too much. I don't go to the track, so a standard TT is fine & I never wish I had more power.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
That being said the magnetic fluid dampers are a particularly inspired technology and as I had some involvement with DARPA testing of same many years ago it was impossible to pass up.

And also this time I decided not to leave horsepower lying on the table I knew I would regret.
I'm with Huey on this one - the adjustable shocks make driving on US roads (especially in the upper Midwest) much more tolerable. (Side issue: why are roads in Europe and the parts of Ontario I go through much better than those here?) There's also the seriously improved brakes on the TTS - pretty close to the Brembo's on my recently departed Mk1.

And since the last car (A3 3.2) had 250 HP, I didn't think I could take a step backwards...

- Chuck
Old 01-14-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went TT and love it. Of course I never tried a TTS and never want to.....don't want to see what I'm missing. The TT is awesome, but make sure you get the 19" rims and B&O upgrade, both are worth it.

Quick Reply: TT or TTS?