TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT/TTS Extractor Engine Oil Change (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts
Default TT/TTS Extractor Engine Oil Change (with pics)

Hey fellow TT-heads! Today I changed my TTS' engine oil with my handy extractor, and thought I'd post my experience.

Drain vs Extract
There are obviously two ways to change your engine oil. Draining, where you remove the drain plug and let it all flow out, and extracting, where you suck the oil out from the top. I think there's no doubt that draining is the most "complete" method, in that any debris or junk that may be stuck against the plug at the very bottom can be removed. I drained my oil on every car I've owned before this one. However, extracting is MUCH faster, easier, and more convenient especially with our car, since the oil filter is also right at the top. Also, most dealerships and shops in general use the extractor method for oil changes, and it's listed as the primary method in the Audi repair manual. As far as concerns about debris or sludge at the bottom, the science says this simply shouldn't occur, as a proper, well-maintained oil should capture and suspend any particles and debris, and they should be caught by the oil filter. I'll leave the debate up to you all, but both methods are possible with this car.

This was by far the easiest oil change of any car I've had! It took me less than 10 minutes and I didn't have to get under the car or jack it up at all.

What You Will Need
-Oil Extractor (mine was about $75 and hooks up to shop air, no pumping required)
-6 Quarts/Liters 502 00 0W40/5W40 Oil
-06L115562 Genuine VW/Audi Oil FIlter Element w/ Gasket
-32 mm Socket (for oil filter housing)

I got all these parts on Amazon for about $40 (plus extractor). As far as oil selection, the most important factor is you find an oil that complies with the VAG 502 00 specification. You can also go for 504 00, but this is oil for low-mileage cars where it's infrequently changed and can stay in there for up to 2 years (?). Since I drive mine a lot, I will always hit the 10,000 mile limit first and have no need for a "long-life" oil, so I save money and go with the 502 00. I just go on Amazon, search for 502 00, sort by price, and get whatever's cheapest. The brand, type, marketing, and even weight aren't important, as long as the oil meets Audi's spec (I'm sure there will be comments on this). This ended up being Castrol Edge Professional on Amazon, and the 0W40 variety was cheaper. You can also find 5W40 oil in this spec, which really I should be using as I'm in a warm climate, but I didn't worry too much and had 2 quarts of 5W40 left over I used as well, so it was a mix of the two.

DO NOT PUT NON 502/504 00 OIL IN THIS CAR!! It's not expensive! These engines are very high pressure and heat, and are notorious for sludging up when run with conventional oil. Don't do it!

The Oil Change
This part is almost too simple. For extracting, it's easiest if your engine is warm. The oil will be thinner and easier to pull out.

1. Remove the engine cover by firmly pulling up and disengaging the four nubbins.
2. Check the current oil level with the dipstick. The Mk3 TT/TTS hold 5.75 quarts of oil. I was about a half-quart low, so I expected to get about 5.25 quarts out.
3. Slowly loosen the oil filter housing with the 32 mm socket, let the oil drain down, and remove the housing and filter element. It might seem strange to do this first, but the filter assembly has a one-way valve that keeps oil right under the filter so you don't draw in a bunch of air every time you start the engine. You will hear oil glugging back down into the pan as you loosen the housing. Wait and let it all flow down, then keep loosening and remove the assembly.

4. Remove the dipstick, insert the extraction tube all the way to the bottom and extract the oil. I had to use my medium-diameter suction hose to fit into the dipstick tube. There's a pretty clear feeling when the tube first hits the bottom. Then I turned on my air valve and it all pulled out. It took about 5 minutes, and I had a little over 5 quarts in my extractor, just as I expected. I like to let the extractor bubble and gasp for a while, as it's pulling out the last little bits on the bottom of the pan. I also like to push the line a bit further down, the pull up and repeat, to get as much out as I can.

5. Put the new element and gasket on the housing. Cover the new gasket in old oil before rolling it down the housing to keep it supple. The old filter element will be held tight in the housing. Give it a good tug (it's not threaded so twisting not necessary), and it will pop out. Then press the new element into the housing. Push it firmly, as you will feel it "break in" to the detent/holder at the bottom and go another half inch.

6. Replace the new filter and housing by screwing them back in. There is a torque spec, but I don't have a torque wrench and it was very easy to feel when it was fully tight. Be gentle, it's a plastic housing and liable to be cracked.
7. Pull the filler cap off, use a funnel and add about 5 quarts new 502/504 00 oil. Check the dipstick, then add about a half quart as needed. I like to keep my oil level about 1/4 quart low so I can be sure it's not above the max line of the dipstick.
8. Replace the filler cap and dipstick, and put the engine cover back on. Congrats! There was about 5 seconds after I started the car when I could hear the engine was pulling air from the filter assembly, and then I sounded just as good as always.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Very nicely presented, as always, macaddict!! I'm pretty much born again to top-extracting after a lifetime of under-pan draining, although I use a lowly hand pump.

With the filter on top there is of course no way to pre-fill it with oil to preclude the initial air suction, but as you cited it's fine after a few seconds of operation and the check valve takes care of it after that.

Engine oil manufacturers vie to become a particular OEM's cited vendor, e.g. Castrol as our TT's and Mobil 1 for my wife's MB GLA. Just as long as you meet VAG's standards you're fine. But we don't need another "what oil do you use" thread.

Again, very well one!