AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk3) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/)
-   -   TTRS or 911? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/ttrs-911-a-2942757/)

BlackOptic 02-10-2018 12:22 PM

TTRS or 911?

[It has been _44_ days since your car was held in Port]

TTRS vs. 911?

I see a few of you have a stable of Porsche 911 AND TT-type cars. Presumably the TT is your Daily Driver/winter wheels, and the 911 comes out of the closet on sunny / weekend days. :-) Or... You have graduated from one to the other, and back, and forth...

In the last few impatient port Stop Order days I have increasingly found myself looking at Porsche 911’s... For the price of 1/2 to 2/3 of a year of kids college cost (unit of “KCC”, and I am talking delta from the TTRS to 911...) I could find me a CPO 991.2 Carrera, or older Carrera 2... Even a convertible! (Summer is coming.)

But then I spied the “911 T” (positioned as a lightweight / manual variant)... and now I am contemplating new or used. Nutz. Talk is that there are a lot of 911’s around, new and used. And, it is a buyer’s market. (Ish... But not for the “T” - I’d be 10th on the list for allocation, and at the rate of 3 months per allocation, it would only take me 2.5 years to get the order ‘in’!)

Of course, no quattro. But, i don’t intend to drive my TTRS, or 911, for that matter on days when water is falling from the sky, or it is below 45 degrees. And, the whole challenge of a 911 is to be RWD and try to stay out of the ditch.

For sure, I couldn’t throw all my kiteboarding gear in the back of a 911 for a trip to the coast. Usability would be majorly curtailed. But, Sunday Winery Run (primary purpose of the weekend run around, and good way to spend time with my honey) check, check.

‘Bugger’ is coming from spec’ing/ordering a TTRS - top of the line, all bells and whistles.. And then landing the the ‘base’ 911... trying to figure whether I can afford the dimming mirrors... or adjustable seats... or dynamic suspension... or “S”.

And 30 less HP.

But, hey, I’ll never fully get to use 370 hp or 400 hp, and the 911 is timeless no matter what the model designation is. So hence why I am on the fence big time. (The 718 is not an option. Cute, but not legendary. Not timeless.) I don’t plan to track. Maybe.

And. If I can get a recent model CPO between $85k-$100k, I can save $10k-$20k of instant depreciation on either car new.

If you could do either TTRS or 911 (base, perhaps CPO S... or 911T), what’s your vote?

BlackOptic 02-10-2018 12:32 PM

And, funny... but the 911 forum participants could never imagine anyone would possibly look to cross shop these two .. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1008...-vs-tt-rs.html

timzcat 02-10-2018 04:06 PM

The Porsche is just too expensive with options IMO. I know you've been waiting a while, have you driven the TT RS at all?
You had a TTS so how much did you enjoy that car? There is something special with the TT RS. I don't think I would get rid of it for any other Audi unless it were an R8 and having driven both, within legal limits there is not a big difference.

ourlee 02-10-2018 04:07 PM

My feeling is you answered your own question when you said the TT won’t be a foul weather car. If you’re buying a toy, you must start RWD and manual trans. My humble opinion of course. I own a TT because I need a year round car, if I was in your position of buying a toy I’d buy a new Lotus, you should buy a 911. You know you want to:D

Rapture 02-10-2018 05:50 PM

I have been waiting a long time for my TT RS to get here, still several months out. I came from a very highly optioned 14 C4S. It was a great car but I didn't track it so really never utilized its full potential. I'm looking forward to the RS. I had a RS4 in the past and simply loved it. I think the Audi has a nicer interior and tech, particularly versus a base 991.1. I also follow the Rennlist forum, but frankly they are snobs. The 911 is great but they give very little credit to anything else. It's also much harder to mod the 911 in my opinion without spending a great deal of money. I look forward to customizing the RS to have something way more unique than the 911 which I enjoy.

You can't go wrong with either but it depends on what's important to you. If it's purely a weekend car that would open up a lot of alternatives. If it's your one car that needs to do many things that would narrow it down, and for me I'm looking forward to the RS.

VGM911 02-11-2018 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptic (Post 25108759)
I see a few of you have a stable of Porsche 911 AND TT-type cars....If you could do either TTRS or 911 (base, perhaps CPO S... or 911T), what’s your vote?

I'm fortunate to have owned both the TT and 911, so here are my thoughts:

I love the Porsche brand and, more specifically, the 911. If I wanted to spend what it costs to buy a new 911, the choice would be easy - I'd buy another one. It's a wonderful car in every way, and I very much enjoyed my ownership experience.

However, the case for a TT is compelling:
1. AWD;
2. More than satisfying performance - braking, cornering, and acceleration
3. Hatchback convenience;
4. Storage space behind the front seats that's easily accessible by the driver and passenger from inside the car;
5. The ability to fold the rear seat backs forward to create a larger and more convenient/usable storage space;
6. The ability to recline the front seat backs, allowing the driver and passenger to take a break (or nap) on a long trip (you can't do this in a Boxster/Cayman, for example);
7. Beautifully designed interior (if you haven't sat in a new TT, please do try it);
8. You'll rarely see another one on the road - total TT sales are only 2 to 3,000 per year; and
9. The new Mark III corrects/improves upon the design of the previous Mark I and Mark II generations.

Good luck!

Vegas-roadster 02-11-2018 05:37 AM

Agree regarding exclusivity

Originally Posted by VGM911 (Post 25108958)
I'm fortunate to have owned both the TT and 911, so here are my thoughts:

I love the Porsche brand and, more specifically, the 911. If I wanted to spend what it costs to buy a new 911, the choice would be easy - I'd buy another one. It's a wonderful car in every way, and I very much enjoyed my ownership experience.

However, the case for a TT is compelling:
1. AWD;
2. More than satisfying performance - braking, cornering, and acceleration
3. Hatchback convenience;
4. Storage space behind the front seats that's easily accessible by the driver and passenger from inside the car;
5. The ability to recline the rear seat backs, to create a larger and more convenient/usable storage space;
6. The ability to recline the front seat backs, allowing the driver and passenger to take a break (or nap) on a long trip (you can't do this in a Boxster/Cayman, for example);
7. Beautifully designed interior (if you haven't sat in a new TT, please do try it);
8. You'll rarely see another one on the road - total TT sales are only 2 to 3,000 per year; and
9. The new Mark III corrects/improves upon the design of the previous Mark I and Mark II generations.

Good luck!

You will never hear a "What's that?" question when driving any Porsche. After a first year of the Mk 3 sales bump to 3K, Mk 3 sales are now closer to the past average of about 2k a year. Only the R8 has fewer sales in the Audi US line up.

Matthew Gaither 02-11-2018 12:03 PM

I don't know that a lot of people would specifically cross shop a 911 and a TTRS but for similar money a very well spec'ed base Cayman or a lightly spec'ed Cayman S would be pretty close to the new price of a TTRS. I plan on giving both the base Cayman and the TTRS some seat time when I go to start shopping as well as the RS3 and the Macan GTS. I don't really need the extra doors and passenger space but the idea of "driver's car" with a great interior that can be driven year round in most or all types of weather is very appealing. No doubt the TTRS has the rarity and the uniqueness to turn heads moreso than the 911 but in my opinion we shouldn't be buying cars based on what other people might think about them. It should come down to 1)what do I need? 2)what do I want? 3) what do I enjoy driving and spending time in? and of course 4) what can I afford? and those should really be the questions that guide the purchase.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

S4Bloom 02-11-2018 12:17 PM

As one who has had a Boxster, Cayman S and currently a 911 I can understand the difficulty (and luxury) of being able to make such first world choices. Good luck! If you have any specific questions let me know.

https://www.fototime.com/31652FE378F4C41/standard.jpg

ourlee 02-11-2018 12:28 PM

Brad, you’re so lucky I left Chicago, I’d be down there every weekend:D