TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTRS or 911?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ourlee
Brad, you’re so lucky I left Chicago, I’d be down there every weekend
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Gaither
I don't know that a lot of people would specifically cross shop a 911 and a TTRS but for similar money a very well spec'ed base Cayman or a lightly spec'ed Cayman S would be pretty close to the new price of a TTRS. I plan on giving both the base Cayman and the TTRS some seat time when I go to start shopping as well as the RS3 and the Macan GTS. I don't really need the extra doors and passenger space but the idea of "driver's car" with a great interior that can be driven year round in most or all types of weather is very appealing. No doubt the TTRS has the rarity and the uniqueness to turn heads moreso than the 911 but in my opinion we shouldn't be buying cars based on what other people might think about them. It should come down to 1)what do I need? 2)what do I want? 3) what do I enjoy driving and spending time in? and of course 4) what can I afford? and those should really be the questions that guide the purchase.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
If you don't need the doors or space then don't bother with the RS3. It really is a sedan and reminiscent other Audi sedans. The TT RS feels like a completely different car to me when I drove them back to back, much closer to the R8 experience.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

[It has been _46_ days since your car was held in Port]

This IS a hard one.

I should correct myself in that last February when I picked up my 2017 TTS I DID drive in snow (fun), and wet, and sun, and dirt. All good. It was such a great car and I loved the usability SO much I turned it in after 6 months to order the TT RS! (The ONLY niggle I have with that car is the way the seat belt crosses my shoulders across my arm, as opposed from down past my neck. Otherwise, very fun.)

But.

Today I had fun at the Porsche dealer. S4Bloom, I WILL be reaching out to you.
a) SA started me in a new 2017 Carrera 4S (Yellow, loaded) for $142k. Only because I wanted to try the Manual, and it was the only one they had. Fun. Not sure - not spending that much, and not sure I want AWD for this experience.
b) looked at a CPO Carrera S Cabriolet... but, it was $109k
c) Drove a CPO 2015 Carrera S (below pictured) with 8,000 miles at $88,991. Very nice. Very very tempted. Naturally aspirated. PDK (hmm)... But... Very very very tempted.

I even got it to go sideways a little.

I'm gonna sleep on it. With wheels painted black, and black badges, this would suit me very well. I'll see if they'll be willing to work with me on price, and hope I'll get an update on the TT RS this week.

[edit: 2015 911 (991.1) Carrera S, 3.8L, 400 HP, PDK, PDLS, Camera, Sunroof, Sport Design Wheel, 14-way seats, BOSE]

Last edited by BlackOptic; 02-24-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pretty damn awesome.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

This IS a hard one.

I should correct myself in that last February when I picked up my 2017 TTS I DID drive in snow (fun), and wet, and sun, and dirt. All good. It was such a great car and I loved the usability SO much I turned it in after 6 months to order the TT RS! (The ONLY niggle I have with that car is the way the seat belt crosses my shoulders across my arm, as opposed from down past my neck. Otherwise, very fun.)

But.

Today I had fun at the Porsche dealer. S4Bloom, I WILL be reaching out to you.
a) SA started me in a new 2017 Carrera 4S (Yellow, loaded) for $142k. Only because I wanted to try the Manual, and it was the only one they had. Fun. Not sure - not spending that much, and not sure I want AWD for this experience.
b) looked at a CPO Carrera S Cabriolet... but, it was $109k
c) Drove a CPO 2015 Carrera S (below pictured) with 8,000 miles at $88,991. Very nice. Very very templated. Naturally aspirated. PDK (hmm)... But... Very very very tempted.

I even got it to go sideways a little.

I'm gonna sleep on it. With wheels painted black, and black badges, this would suit me very well. I'll see if they'll be willing to work with me on price, and hope I'll get an update on the TT RS this week.

[edit: 2015 911 (991.1) Carrera S, 3.8L, 400 HP, PDK, PDLS, Camera, Sunroof, Sport Design Wheel, 14-way seats, BOSE]
Yeah I really don't think you could go wrong either way. It really does come down to your preferences, your patience level and your wallet. I know I will have a hard choice facing me in 2019 when I start my shopping in earnest. This year is all about me exercising my patience, saving my coins and gathering as much information as I can in the process. Good luck to you and let us know!
Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

The plot thickens... Onward and upward as they say. POTENTIAL CPO 2017 Porsche 911 GTS / 991.2, with MANUAL transmission, sports exhaust, sport chrono... and just about NOTHING else.

Sorry, I realize this is incredibly rude to perpetuate this thread here. Somebody named "Port Hold" made me do it. Plus, you can live a fantasy through me vicariously.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^ Oh, upwards indeed!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry, I realize this is incredibly rude to perpetuate this thread here. Somebody named "Port Hold" made me do it. Plus, you can live a fantasy through me vicariously.
meh, I prefer Audi to Porsche or else I'd by a Porsche 😁

But if it's therapeutic for you, go for it.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Not rude at all and I do vicariously quite enjoy your hunt. I think that relatively low optioned approach is best. Go for it !!!

The plot thickens... Onward and upward as they say. POTENTIAL CPO 2017 Porsche 911 GTS / 991.2, with MANUAL transmission, sports exhaust, sport chrono... and just about NOTHING else.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love white on black wheels but it looks heavy and clunky here, go figure.

Quick Reply: TTRS or 911?