TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTRS owners - What motivated you to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TTRS owners - What motivated you to buy?

Basically, what was it about the TTRS that you liked enough to sign on the dotted line for? What made you fall in love with the car? And, for a bonus question, what cars (if any) did you pass over to get that TTRS in your driveway?

I'm just starting my test driving now and will hopefully get my first experience of the TTRS this weekend (as long as the car is still available at the dealership). I've already driven a couple of other things and have several others that I want to test before it is all said and done but in many ways the TTRS seems like it might be the sweet spot. It is the right size, it has low weight, plenty of power, it sounds good and it has an excellent interior and tech. I *think* I will like it and could certainly envision a time when I bring one home but I'm also curious to hear your thoughts, if you care to share them.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't need four doors anymore. Wanted fun, dual clutch, forced induction (and highly tunable) daily drivable that still has all the niceities and luxury. I also like to drive cars you don't see evwryday. Comps we're M2/M4, GT-R, RS3, or RS5. Not a fan of Mercs or American cars (interiors are still so blegh). Quick test drive totally sealed the deal. Five days in I couldn't be happier! Just waiting on Stage 2 goodies from Iroz to show up.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was ready to upgrade from a 370Z Nismo and was looking at 718's. The TT RS was a way better deal than the 718 when comparable equipped (something the journalists fail to acknowledge) with better performance than a 911. Was really interested in a Grand Sport Corvette, but the build quality was atrocious.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a fun car that I could use year round (including our snowy winters) for my two hour drive to work and back. After one winter and spring with the TT RS I can state with confidence that I made the right choice. The car handles great in the snow (with the right tires) and is more fun than expected. When I stop for gas it is rare that I don't get some kind of questions or positive comments about the car and I have received more than a few thumbs up after starting the car (in Sport Exhaust Mode - obviously). It is a true pleasure to drive!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DKo5
Didn't need four doors anymore. Wanted fun, dual clutch, forced induction (and highly tunable) daily drivable that still has all the niceities and luxury. I also like to drive cars you don't see evwryday. Comps we're M2/M4, GT-R, RS3, or RS5. Not a fan of Mercs or American cars (interiors are still so blegh). Quick test drive totally sealed the deal. Five days in I couldn't be happier! Just waiting on Stage 2 goodies from Iroz to show up.
You sound like you value a lot of the same things that I do. Fun, daily drivable, luxurious but also unique and fast. Interior design is also important to me and that is why I am not looking seriously at any American cars either. I am interested in the C63 but my gut tells me it will feel too big but we will see.

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I was ready to upgrade from a 370Z Nismo and was looking at 718's. The TT RS was a way better deal than the 718 when comparable equipped (something the journalists fail to acknowledge) with better performance than a 911. Was really interested in a Grand Sport Corvette, but the build quality was atrocious.
I've considered the 718 Cayman but the sound of those engines and exhaust just sort of kills it for me. I was at the Lexus dealership a couple of weeks back looking at an LC500 (amazing luxury GT car) and the Lexus dealership was right next to the Porsche dealership. A new Boxster S pulled out and sped away and the sound made me cringe. One of the reasons I am interested in the TTRS is because of the sound it makes. If I am going to spend this kind of money on a sports car then I want it to sound great!

Originally Posted by vaiolation
I was looking for a fun car that I could use year round (including our snowy winters) for my two hour drive to work and back. After one winter and spring with the TT RS I can state with confidence that I made the right choice. The car handles great in the snow (with the right tires) and is more fun than expected. When I stop for gas it is rare that I don't get some kind of questions or positive comments about the car and I have received more than a few thumbs up after starting the car (in Sport Exhaust Mode - obviously). It is a true pleasure to drive!
Down here in the South (Georgia resident) I really don't specifically need the all-wheel drive but I also don't consider it to be a negative as long as the car is set up properly. As long as it is fun to drive and "tossable" then that is what counts for me. I also like the unique aspect of the TTRS and the fact that they are rare. Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRG
You sound like you value a lot of the same things that I do. Fun, daily drivable, luxurious but also unique and fast. Interior design is also important to me and that is why I am not looking seriously at any American cars either. I am interested in the C63 but my gut tells me it will feel too big but we will see.

I've considered the 718 Cayman but the sound of those engines and exhaust just sort of kills it for me. I was at the Lexus dealership a couple of weeks back looking at an LC500 (amazing luxury GT car) and the Lexus dealership was right next to the Porsche dealership. A new Boxster S pulled out and sped away and the sound made me cringe. One of the reasons I am interested in the TTRS is because of the sound it makes. If I am going to spend this kind of money on a sports car then I want it to sound great!

Down here in the South (Georgia resident) I really don't specifically need the all-wheel drive but I also don't consider it to be a negative as long as the car is set up properly. As long as it is fun to drive and "tossable" then that is what counts for me. I also like the unique aspect of the TTRS and the fact that they are rare. Thanks for your comments.
Ditto on all of those quoted above. AWD, 5-cyl sequential firing sport exhaust notes, 0-6 in 3.5 sec, great handling, great interior, ride for DD is very good, winter capable, track capable, fairly rare and especially so around my area. For the price, good luck finding anything even close to ticking all of the boxes I mentioned. Was a BMW owner for 2 cars before, M2/M4 were not as capable more money in the end, M4 bigger. 718 equally outfitted was way over $100K before taxes, PDI, freight etc. Can't stand the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette build quality and having to "look over" a front hood (vision from driver's position is horrible!). Anything else even close to TTRS performance is well past $100K- Lotus Evora, Elise, Aston Martin, etc. When you are getting an AWD, 400HP, 0-60 in 3.5 sec car—you're in super car territory (super car is in the 3's, hyper car is in the 2's).

In my thoughts, you can't get a better small body, fast, DD capable, track day fun coupe than the TTRS. As long as YOU enjoy and like the car you have and it ticks off all the right boxes for YOU, that's all that matters in then end, right?

Good luck with the search!

Last edited by HalifaxMKIIITTRS; 05-15-2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 2013 TT RS and sold her for Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition. I looked at GTR, 997 Turbo but came back to the 2018 TT RS! Love the interior of TT RS, nimble handling, exterior design and technology.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't really looking for a new car. Other than needing a little TLC, I have a solid daily in a Mk5 R32. A friend of mine saw the press release on the Mk3 TTRS and sent it to me. I liked the Mk2 TTRS, but wasn't really in a financial position to afford one and didn't feel like the performance difference justified the price over a TTS, at the time. But I was blown away by the Mk3 TTRS.

I did see constant comparisons of the TTRS to the Cayman/Cayman S and priced one via the configurator. When the price hit $88k, comparably equipped to the TTRS, I lost all interest. Also briefly considered a Corvette but wasn't impressed with the weight/acceleration.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I reached the same conclusion. Plus, the TT-RS is my daily driver, and with magnetic ride, it helps a lot on our pothole filled streets. And the spacious trunk -- no other sports car its size comes even close.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently (2 weeks ago) picked up a new TT RS and love it. Was lucky enough to find one specced the way I wanted at my local dealer, drove it, loved it and brought it home.

I have owned a number of performance cars over the years, most recently a 2011 911 Turbo S cab, which I got rid of at the end of last year as the CPO was expiring. It was a blast but the Porsche tax is a very real thing and I was not looking forward to the cost of ownership out of warranty. I ended up picking up a new Ford Raptor, which is awesome but still a truck. I thought I could live without a small sporty car but I was increasingly missing the 911 as nice weather returned.

The TT RS wasn't initially on my radar, but as I did more research it seemed to be a very good bang for the buck when compared to Porsche. I considered looking at MB or BMW but honestly I loved the TT RS from the moment I sat in it so didn't even end up driving the others. I traded in my SQ5 on the TT RS (was a great SUV but redundant with the Raptor).

The TT RS is really just as fun/nimble/tossable in real world driving as the 997 TTS in my opinion. It feels even smaller/lighter (because it is), and whatever understeer may be an issue at 10/10ths on the track is just not bothersome even in spirited real world driving.

The interior is wonderful--nicer than the 997, and my previous car was pretty fully optioned in Porsche upcharge leather interior bits. I'm not a big fan of current 991 or Cayman interiors--the sloping center console derived from the Panamera and sea of buttons just doesn't appeal that much to me. The TT RS interior is wonderfully clean, elegant, and comfortable.

In terms of power, the 911 turbo was faster (though not by a ton) and power delivery was different with tons of low end torque. It was a blast, but even a couple of seconds on the pedal got you to lose your license speeds. The TT RS has a different feel to its power--it likes to rev more like a naturally aspirated 911 and imho has more fun/usable power in daily driving. An easy stage 1+ tune and you'd be right with the turbo or pretty much anything else out there...

Basically the TT RS for me is every bit as much fun as the 911 for way less money (for reference my 911 was mid $90k's used in late 2015 with 2011 sticker of almost $200k). My final routine Porsche service prior to trading the car in was a plug change, oil change, PDK fluid change and a couple other minor things and it was over $3000 lol...

Chris

Quick Reply: TTRS owners - What motivated you to buy?