TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTRS owners - What motivated you to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HalifaxMKIIITTRS
Ditto on all of those quoted above. AWD, 5-cyl sequential firing sport exhaust notes, 0-6 in 3.5 sec, great handling, great interior, ride for DD is very good, winter capable, track capable, fairly rare and especially so around my area. For the price, good luck finding anything even close to ticking all of the boxes I mentioned. Was a BMW owner for 2 cars before, M2/M4 were not as capable more money in the end, M4 bigger. 718 equally outfitted was way over $100K before taxes, PDI, freight etc. Can't stand the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette build quality and having to "look over" a front hood (vision from driver's position is horrible!). Anything else even close to TTRS performance is well past $100K- Lotus Evora, Elise, Aston Martin, etc. When you are getting an AWD, 400HP, 0-60 in 3.5 sec car—you're in super car territory (super car is in the 3's, hyper car is in the 2's).

In my thoughts, you can't get a better small body, fast, DD capable, track day fun coupe than the TTRS. As long as YOU enjoy and like the car you have and it ticks off all the right boxes for YOU, that's all that matters in then end, right?

Good luck with the search!
Yep, all of those are great reasons and "because you enjoy it" is the best reason of all. I look forward to testing one out and gauging that "fun factor" for myself.

Originally Posted by milo337
I had a 2013 TT RS and sold her for Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition. I looked at GTR, 997 Turbo but came back to the 2018 TT RS! Love the interior of TT RS, nimble handling, exterior design and technology.
Yes I would think the TTRS would feel a lot more nimble than either the 997 Turbo or the GTR although not necessarily the 4C. The TTRS does have a much,much nicer interior, tech and refinement than the 4C though!

Originally Posted by Akenmaat
I wasn't really looking for a new car. Other than needing a little TLC, I have a solid daily in a Mk5 R32. A friend of mine saw the press release on the Mk3 TTRS and sent it to me. I liked the Mk2 TTRS, but wasn't really in a financial position to afford one and didn't feel like the performance difference justified the price over a TTS, at the time. But I was blown away by the Mk3 TTRS.

I did see constant comparisons of the TTRS to the Cayman/Cayman S and priced one via the configurator. When the price hit $88k, comparably equipped to the TTRS, I lost all interest. Also briefly considered a Corvette but wasn't impressed with the weight/acceleration.
Yep, I did the same thing. Even a base Cayman spec'ed the way I wanted it was around $75k and still wouldn't be as nice as the TTRS and certainly wouldn't sound as good making it a non-starter for me.

Originally Posted by Data1of9
I reached the same conclusion. Plus, the TT-RS is my daily driver, and with magnetic ride, it helps a lot on our pothole filled streets. And the spacious trunk -- no other sports car its size comes even close.
Yeah I can't do a bone jarring ride anymore. And a sports car that is set-up the right way shouldn't be bone jarring. Some compliance is a good thing.

Originally Posted by cmo5
I just recently (2 weeks ago) picked up a new TT RS and love it. Was lucky enough to find one specced the way I wanted at my local dealer, drove it, loved it and brought it home.

I have owned a number of performance cars over the years, most recently a 2011 911 Turbo S cab, which I got rid of at the end of last year as the CPO was expiring. It was a blast but the Porsche tax is a very real thing and I was not looking forward to the cost of ownership out of warranty. I ended up picking up a new Ford Raptor, which is awesome but still a truck. I thought I could live without a small sporty car but I was increasingly missing the 911 as nice weather returned.

The TT RS wasn't initially on my radar, but as I did more research it seemed to be a very good bang for the buck when compared to Porsche. I considered looking at MB or BMW but honestly I loved the TT RS from the moment I sat in it so didn't even end up driving the others. I traded in my SQ5 on the TT RS (was a great SUV but redundant with the Raptor).

The TT RS is really just as fun/nimble/tossable in real world driving as the 997 TTS in my opinion. It feels even smaller/lighter (because it is), and whatever understeer may be an issue at 10/10ths on the track is just not bothersome even in spirited real world driving.

The interior is wonderful--nicer than the 997, and my previous car was pretty fully optioned in Porsche upcharge leather interior bits. I'm not a big fan of current 991 or Cayman interiors--the sloping center console derived from the Panamera and sea of buttons just doesn't appeal that much to me. The TT RS interior is wonderfully clean, elegant, and comfortable.

In terms of power, the 911 turbo was faster (though not by a ton) and power delivery was different with tons of low end torque. It was a blast, but even a couple of seconds on the pedal got you to lose your license speeds. The TT RS has a different feel to its power--it likes to rev more like a naturally aspirated 911 and imho has more fun/usable power in daily driving. An easy stage 1+ tune and you'd be right with the turbo or pretty much anything else out there...

Basically the TT RS for me is every bit as much fun as the 911 for way less money (for reference my 911 was mid $90k's used in late 2015 with 2011 sticker of almost $200k). My final routine Porsche service prior to trading the car in was a plug change, oil change, PDK fluid change and a couple other minor things and it was over $3000 lol...

Chris
Wow at the Porsche service bill although I am not at all surprised. Something like Audi Care for 4 years being around $800 on these cars is a big plus considering the performance they have.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new TT RS is on a "slow truck" from Tulsa via a dealer trade. Daytona Gray with everything but DPP and Spoiler Delete. Wanted Nardo, but none with DPP that my dealer could trade with. Why I bought:

1) "Mid-Life Crisis Sports Car" - Coming from a 2013 S-Class, which while it had the AMG pkg, was not sporty. Just bought a Q7 Prestige to do family duty. Instead of something practical, decided I wanted something FUN!
2) Why TTRS - Performance, ability to easily modify, INTERIOR, looks, did I mention INTERIOR? and lastly totally unique and rare.
3) When did I know - After the first time I sat in one, then locked down after driving a Audi company car with 5k on it. Motor was "open" compared to test drives of New low mileage cars. The "break-in' tune absolutely impacts the experience.
4) How I discovered - Went in ready to buy a RS3, but I am 6'3" and had no headroom. Dealer said "go sit in the TTS", I laughed (thought he was kidding), then realized he was serious. I did and WOW, I had completely discounted the TT in the past
5) Competitors I contemplated - Drove both 991 and 917, both were fun, but Interior doesn't stand a chance against the TT RS, plus worried about "Tax" as mentioned above. M2 of course, but see too many of them now AND Interior. Also drove an E43 and E400 Coupe just to convince myself I didn't want something that big (and somewhat practical), but after the TT RS, they were NICE but just "bleh" driving.

Anxiously awaiting word of the truck showing up so I can get my 1k break-in started and OVER WITH!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

For best selection and price, expand your search area - preferably nationally - on cars.com and autotrader. You never get the best deal doing a "dealer trade". Buy direct from the dealer that has the car. As pointed out in another thread, orders for new 2018 are closed so you will have to buy what is already on the lot/ordered. Rumor is that there will be a minor body facelift for 2019 as a mid-model refresh. No drivetrain changes. Because orders are closed and dealers will wait months for replacements, they may not be willing to negotiate price even though there are plenty of TTRS sitting on lots nationally. I think you will be able to get a great deal on leftover 2018 TTRS next Fall.

Regarding comparables, pretty much what the others have said. Vette quality sucks. Camaro with the track goodies is an incredible bang/buck if you like a much large car. Porsches are more expensive and I am really turned of by the fact that you can't see the engine for pre-trip checks and maintenance without a lift. M2 and M240 are great cars. M2 is comparable to the TTRS but the M240 is a much better bang for the buck and a far better DD. You can get an M240 for about the same price as a base TT because BMW offers larger discounts. Negatives are an average interior and it looks like every other BMW.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
For best selection and price, expand your search area - preferably nationally - on cars.com and autotrader. You never get the best deal doing a "dealer trade". Buy direct from the dealer that has the car. As pointed out in another thread, orders for new 2018 are closed so you will have to buy what is already on the lot/ordered. Rumor is that there will be a minor body facelift for 2019 as a mid-model refresh. No drivetrain changes. Because orders are closed and dealers will wait months for replacements, they may not be willing to negotiate price even though there are plenty of TTRS sitting on lots nationally. I think you will be able to get a great deal on leftover 2018 TTRS next Fall.

Regarding comparables, pretty much what the others have said. Vette quality sucks. Camaro with the track goodies is an incredible bang/buck if you like a much large car. Porsches are more expensive and I am really turned of by the fact that you can't see the engine for pre-trip checks and maintenance without a lift. M2 and M240 are great cars. M2 is comparable to the TTRS but the M240 is a much better bang for the buck and a far better DD. You can get an M240 for about the same price as a base TT because BMW offers larger discounts. Negatives are an average interior and it looks like every other BMW.
I hear you on the nationwide search. I do not at all mind buying out of state and have done so before more than once. My 987 Boxster was purchased in Tennessee and my current Lexus GX was purchased in Florida. Cars like the TTRS that only have a few "must have" option packs make it a little easier to buy off of a dealer lot, especially if you aren't married to a single color.

I'm casting a fairly wide net with my search as I'm not sure what combination of luxury, performance, tech and agility is going to be right for me. I tested both a pre-owned F Type R and a Lexus LC500 a couple of weeks back and found the Lexus the more impressive of the two cars even though they had an asking price that was within $5k. They are both big GT cars and even though I was surprised at how much fun I had in the LC500 (the Jag was beautiful and sounded great but didn't engage me very much) my preference has always been for smaller, lighter and more intimate sports cars.

I'm not in a hurry and will not likely make any kind of decision before this Fall and want to make sure I get plenty of seat time and a couple of test drives in each of the cars on my list. The TTRS (and maybe an M2) is on tap for this weekend and then, later in the summer, I plan on testing a C63 AMG, Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio and even a pre-owned Lotus Evora 400. Once I've run the gamut I suspect it will become more clear as to which direction I want to go in as one of these cars is going to be the "Goldilocks" car (not too this or too that but just about right).