TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTRS sport exhaust tip paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TTRS sport exhaust tip paint

Anyone has this problem where the visible inside part of the TTRS sport exhaust has some coating, the black paint, coming off?

I didn't expect to happen with only 13,500 km (8,500 miles).

Anyone has luck getting them replaced by dealer? I will ask my local dealer when I bring in for service next month.

Last edited by StraySheep; 04-27-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Noticing you're in the GTA you no doubt encounter a lot of road salt and further noticing that the exterior of your tips aren't clean either it likely remained in place for quite some time. It's not easy keeping tips salt-free in Winter and it obviously does a great deal of damage.

That point on the interior of the tips gets the most heat/soot/moisture cycling as well, so a number of chemical corrosions in play. You could try some Rustoleum high temp flat black paint (used on BBQ grills, etc). Of course with any painting project surface prep is 95% of the effort.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey StraySheep,

This works great to paint/touch-up your exhaust, been using it for years!
Rust Oleum Engine Paint

Sprays on VERY EASY, and will last through tough winters and car washes...
Can also be brushed on for small touch-up jobs, just spray into a container and use a small brush to T/U.

FYI, don't use "high-heat" paint like those designed for grills (1200F) or exhaust manifolds (2000F), the exhaust tips don't get anywhere near hot enough to properly cure either of those, and it will chip, ask me how I know...??
Use the lower temp Engine (500F) rated like the link above, and be sure you clean the tip surface well before applying.
If you really want to do the job right, use the Engine temp rated primer first

Enjoy!

Last edited by 95wildtt; 04-29-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't doubt you, but have never had the high temp paint chip and I tend to use it more as simply more items around my house in need of same (kitchen gas top grilles as well). But engine paint would seem a good course of action.

And Yes, primer and other pre-paint steps are very important to a long lasting finish.

Originally Posted by 95wildtt
This works great to paint/touch-up your exhaust, been using it for years!
Rust Oleum Engine Paint

...Sprays on VERY EASY, and will last through tough winters and car washes...
Can also be brushed on for small touch-up jobs, just spray into a container and use a small brush to T/U.

FYI, don't use "high-heat" paint like those designed for grills (1200F) or exhaust manifolds (2000F), the exhaust tips don't get anywhere near hot enough to properly cure either of those, and it will chip, ask me how I know...??
Use the lower temp Engine (500F) rated like the link above, and be sure you clean the tip surface well before applying.
If you really want to do the job right, use the Engine temp rated primer first

Enjoy!

Last edited by Huey52; 04-29-2019 at 03:22 AM.