TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS Air Vent Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS Air Vent Rattle

Hello All,

My 2016 TTS has a rattle from the driver side vent. I can get it to stop 100% of the time by pressing on the vent or temporarily stop it by shifting the direction trim ring. But, it returns.

Anyone else had this? Anyone found a permanent solution? Replace the vent? Adding felt? Adding?

I have read some online forums about similar issues with other TTS owners but I haven't found a mentioned solution.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

As a generic answer for rattles like this, you can sometimes fix it by inserting a small piece of something to act as a tensioner and shock absorber. You can buy very thin velvet tape at home depot, for instance. Maybe pull out the vent slightly, then put a piece of velvet on the edge and replace the vent? It's an invisible fix that is inexpensive and typically works well.

Just be sure to look at a diagram of your vent, first, to make sure you don't break anything removing it

​​​​​​
Old 11-15-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

video shows how to removal the center vents. Quite sure drivers side is the same.

Echo the above, friction tape/felted electrical tape works wonders for these types of rattles on those contact points that cause these noises.

I have a similar rattle/buzz, but mine is coming from the headlight switch panel area, had an A8 that had the same issue. Felt tape fixed in that case, haven’t applied yet to the TT.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the quick and valuable input. Thanks to you both.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The "felted" tape I've used in the past:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-08-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I believe the rattle is actually coming from the seat heater button in the middle of the driver side vent.

Has anyone had the similar? And any suggested fixes? Can that button be tightened at all?

Thanks for any guidance.
Chris
Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello all,

I believe there was a Forum member that posted that his centre button had fallen off his vent and was in warranty discussions with Audi.

I would like to hear the outcome of that discussion. And, can this centre button be tightened?

I think my rattle is from there versus the vent itself. Has anyone else had the same issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM
PKT
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is what happened to mine. Still trying to get AUDI usa to cover replacement. Bring your car into the dealer and file a warranty claim.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My left-most dash air vent has a rattle/buzz when the cabin is cold (and it's been exceptionally cold of late). Once the cabin is warm no issue.

I had initially thought it was a door speaker but turns out just a tolerance gap thing in the vent ring affected by temperature.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine also rattles on my 2017 TTS. This only happens during heavy acceleration though.
If I decide to try and fix it I will let you know how I did it.

Quick Reply: TTS Air Vent Rattle