TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS better than RS5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TTS better than RS5?

I know the Brits love the TT but in this top 10 Coupe list the S is ahead of the RS5.
I did test drive de M240i and it is a great car but the to me the TTS is superior in almost every aspect.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/b...ormance-coupes
Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

Both great cars. It's a personal decision. The TTS is much lighter and agile. It has more useful hauling space that the RS5 with the rear seats folded. Amazingly, the trunk space of both cars is about the same and both offer compact spares. The TTS is also much rarer if you want a unique car. According to Car & Driver's Lightning Lap race course testing, the RS5 is much better than the TTS. It isn't even close. The RS5 is a performance coupe with much more useful rear seats if you frequently have more than 1 passenger and this is probably the biggest ownership factor. For all intents and purposes, the TTS is a 2 seater because the rear seats are cruel and unusual punishment. Many folks who buy a 2 seater do not consider the social limits of not being able to frequently and comfortably take a few folks with you and sell the car shortly thereafter for that reason.

Regarding the M240, most car magazines have it in their 10 best list. The knock against the TTS is that it is not "engaging" which to me signals the bias to RWD cars and manual trannies. In the Lightning Lap, the cars are equals. Again, the M240 has the edge in passenger hauling. It does not have a compact spare. The trunk space is about the same but the TTS has the seat-down space edge. In the US, BMW offers much bigger discounts than Audi so you can get a M240 for about the same price as a base TT, much less a TTS, so the M240 is significantly less expensive out the door. Again the TTS is unique in styling and production while the M240 looks like any other BMW to the average observer.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 04-21-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It very much depends on what you want. The RS5 is a GT. More so this time around than last time, but the attraction of the RS5 always has been the fact that it is a GT. It's more spacious and more comfortable on long trips. As said above, there are usable backseats for at least short trips. Interesting that they put the TTS in front of the RS5 and not the TTRS. Owning the old RS5 as my primary car and having driven the TTRS and new RS5 for comparison, I have to say I prefer the old RS5, but once the time comes to replace it and I stay with Audi it will most likely be the new RS5. The TTRS at least is a sport car. Not very comfortable in my opinion for daily driving and long distance driving and a bit small/cramped. What the new RS5 has definitely going for it is that it is the most comfortable RS to cross an entire continent. The point of a GT is that it can be a sports car when you want to be, but all other times it's a very comfortable daily and road trip car. To me personally, a GT is perfectly at home in a single car garage. It covers a wide spectrum, while a sports car is somewhat of a compromise for non-sport driving. I personally wouldn't want a TT/TTS or TTRS as my only car.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my M235ix (virtually the same as the 240) to get my TTS. The TTS is better on so many levels. The suspension is far more settled and stable. The BMW was over-sprung to give it a sporty feel and it caused a pogo effect on certain road conditions. Really annoying. It can also be very light and flighty. That said, it handles rough pavement better than the TTS. The steering is numb, light and over-boosted. I had the 8-speed auto transmission and really disliked it. It hunted for the right gear and was a slow shifter in many instances. The TTS is miles ahead with interior quality and tech. And finally, a pet peeve of mine, looking out the front door windows toward the A-pillar, the mirror housing and the speaker mounted in the corner of the door and in the A pillar area, cause huge blind spots when cornering. I could never get used to it. My Porsches and the TTS have door mounted mirrors that cause minimal interference when driving around town or on the track.

On on the plus side, the 6 cylinder BMW motor is excellent. I miss that and the exhaust sound. The BMW offers more rear seat space though we only use it for our dog. BMW, though, has seat memory so you can easily move the seat forward to access the back then put the seat back automatically. I really hate that the TTS lacks this. It’s very inconvenient.

I didn’t hate the BMW but after a while the little things that bug you start to add up and I could never really bond with it. The TTS isn’t perfect either but I think it’s going to be around longer than the BMW was!