TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS WHICH QUATTRO SYSTEM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TTS WHICH QUATTRO SYSTEM?

the video explained that different type of quoattro, but question is TTs Quattro system same as TT? Or maybe like R8?
The following users liked this post:
vwpassion (02-22-2020)
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Raytec, the TT and TTS share the same quattro mechanical technology.
The TTS may have slightly different software tuning.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video, but the latest generation of Quattro in the newest version of the TT/TTS is much improved. Audi Drive Select has changed the 1st system mentioned (Haldex) into something that is more like the 2nd one mentioned (Torsen). The current system changes the front/rear bias depending on the Audi Drive Select mode (previously that would only happen if the front wheels slipped - reactive), and the system is now also a permanent AWD system, and one that is proactive.

This text is taken directly from the Audi website:

"Our legendary quattro® all-wheel drive system is a hallmark of Audi innovation and performance — and the TTS is our latest shining example. The TTS can send more power rearward when set to Dynamic mode in Audi drive select and, by sending power to the wheels with the most grip, has the traction and cornering performance to really move you."
Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Can_Quattro as usual hit the nail on the head, so some related info:

"Due to their engine layout, some Audis employ a different quattro system. The likes of the A3 and TT use the MQB platform, shared by the likes of the Volkswagen Golf, Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia. MQB cars – as with most cars in this class – feature a transversely (sideways) mounted engine. This means the Torsen system would not physically fit under the bonnet. Instead, these models employ a Haldex four-wheel drive system.

In contrast to the Torsen system, Haldex sends nearly all of the engine’s torque to the front wheels in normal conditions. If slip is detected in the front axle, the Haldex clutch can completely lock, diverting up to 100 per cent of torque rearwards. Then, with the use of electronic differentials integrated into the traction and stability control systems, torque can be diverted to individual wheels on each axle if necessary.

Due to the difference between the Haldex and Torsen systems, die-hard Audi fans will often refer to cars equipped with the Torsen system as ‘true quattros’, because the two systems have different characteristics under extreme driving conditions.

Any disadvantages?
In quattro systems, the need to package all the components means the gearbox is much longer than normal. This forces the engine to be positioned further forward, which means it’s forced out ahead of the front wheels. All this extra weight over the nose of the car results in an eventual loss of grip at the front during hard cornering.

When compared to the Haldex quattro models, the traditional Torsen versions are less economical, too. Under normal driving conditions, all-wheel drive isn’t necessary but, because torque is permanently sent to all four wheels, the driveline losses make the system slightly more wasteful, resulting in higher fuel consumption."

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glos...stem-explained
Old 12-11-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is not your grandmother's Haldex Quattro...

Amazed with the Quattro system in the TTS. Got caught in an unexpected snow storm an hour away from home with my high performance SUMMER (yikes!) tires still on the car (OEM Bridgestone Potenza s001's). I'm still waiting for the all seasons that I ordered. The car and surprisingly, the tires performed brilliantly with no wheel spin starting or loss of control stopping and traveling on the highway at up to 80mph. The newest generation Haldex Quattro system felt sure-footed and amazingly grippy in adverse weather conditions just like the other Audi's that I've owned with Torsen Quattro systems.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And a bit more:
Old 02-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Can_Quattro as usual hit the nail on the head, so some related info:

"Due to their engine layout, some Audis employ a different quattro system. The likes of the A3 and TT use the MQB platform, shared by the likes of the Volkswagen Golf, Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia. MQB cars – as with most cars in this class – feature a transversely (sideways) mounted engine. This means the Torsen system would not physically fit under the bonnet. Instead, these models employ a Haldex four-wheel drive system.

In contrast to the Torsen system, Haldex sends nearly all of the engine’s torque to the front wheels in normal conditions. If slip is detected in the front axle, the Haldex clutch can completely lock, diverting up to 100 per cent of torque rearwards. Then, with the use of electronic differentials integrated into the traction and stability control systems, torque can be diverted to individual wheels on each axle if necessary.

Due to the difference between the Haldex and Torsen systems, die-hard Audi fans will often refer to cars equipped with the Torsen system as ‘true quattros’, because the two systems have different characteristics under extreme driving conditions.

Any disadvantages?
In quattro systems, the need to package all the components means the gearbox is much longer than normal. This forces the engine to be positioned further forward, which means it’s forced out ahead of the front wheels. All this extra weight over the nose of the car results in an eventual loss of grip at the front during hard cornering.

When compared to the Haldex quattro models, the traditional Torsen versions are less economical, too. Under normal driving conditions, all-wheel drive isn’t necessary but, because torque is permanently sent to all four wheels, the driveline losses make the system slightly more wasteful, resulting in higher fuel consumption."

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glos...stem-explained
I hope this doesn't come off as silly but is it possible to put an lsd up front or in back or both? Nevermind the haldex arguments, I find that the traction control kicks in a LOT and idk if thats just the brake based vectoring kicking in but if thats a case some lsd would certainly help. Also, Does anyone know why the tt line HAS to use haldex for packaging reasons when cars like the c43 4matic have the engine in line with the front wheels? The only thing keeping me from an s5 or c43 is the weight (and the new s5 auto vs dct). Thinking hard about the new STI in 2020 as thats about when my warranty runs out.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens
I hope this doesn't come off as silly but is it possible to put an lsd up front or in back or both? Nevermind the haldex arguments, I find that the traction control kicks in a LOT and idk if thats just the brake based vectoring kicking in but if thats a case some lsd would certainly help. Also, Does anyone know why the tt line HAS to use haldex for packaging reasons when cars like the c43 4matic have the engine in line with the front wheels? The only thing keeping me from an s5 or c43 is the weight (and the new s5 auto vs dct). Thinking hard about the new STI in 2020 as thats about when my warranty runs out.
Can I ask, what indication do you get that TC is kicking in? The flashing light on the dash? I don't think an LSD would help as much as you think. If one of the front's starts slipping, in less than one rotation the Haldex clutch can/will MECHANICALLY (aka instantly, no sensing/thinking) lock, therefore giving you another entire axle of two wheels, either of which is likely to have traction. This is the first thing to happen. Then if a wheel is still stubbornly spinning, the brake on that wheel is very slightly applied. The chances of having a total loss of traction on both axle's at once is extremely low. Remember that with Quattro locked, for a few moments you have a center-locked car for all intents and purposes... It's not like mom's SUV where the computer will give just a bit of torque to the rear for just an instant...
Old 02-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I don't so much care about the loss of control since I'm thrashing my car more than 90% of drivers. I did name my car Lt. Drifts for a reason as the rear gets out like crazy sometimes. But thats ok! The issue im more speaking to is for tighter corners theres a cut in power and that absolutely ruins the performance experience. Especially when compared to the MX5 which i'm aware is a totally different car. Second if I leave it in sport mode and floor it, at most any speed, it downshifts but NOT enough. There is always another gear I could have safely downshifted if I was in manual mode. I've tested it out multiple times. Sport mode will not downshift as much as it can, even safely, when pushed to the floor.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Indeed, and that's why I too mostly drive in manual mode.

Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens
So, ... There is always another gear I could have safely downshifted if I was in manual mode. I've tested it out multiple times. Sport mode will not downshift as much as it can, even safely, when pushed to the floor.