TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

update on mods...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on mods...

I have added a couple of mods that together completely change my TT-S. Just installed 034 motorsport dogbone insert, k&n drop in filter, neuspeed power module, manually opened exhaust valves and carbon fiber audi sport license plate holder which while pricey is real nice. WOW.....this car is fast and shifts are much better with less slop feeling. Lower rpm the car is louder with valves open and theres just enough turbo sound that doesn't sound like a wrx (i don't prefer obnoxiously loud bov/diverter valve sounds). I played with 2 cars...a mazdaspeed 3 and 135i and it was laughable how much faster I was just doing some short pulls nothing crazy. This car feels faster than my (manual) M4 was off the line. I saw the S3 got 3.9 0-60, wonder if TT-S would be 3.8 or 3.7 since its lighter weight. I can't imagine what the new TT-RS would be like....Anyways, got the car dialed in now and its a perfect daily drive for such simple and inexpensive mods.

Last edited by KnightRiderTT-S; 04-07-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightRiderTT-S
I have added a couple of mods that together completely change my TT-S. Just installed 034 motorsport dogbone insert, k&n drop in filter, neuspeed power module, manually opened exhaust valves and carbon fiber audi sport license plate holder which while pricey is real nice. WOW.....this car is fast and shifts are much better with less slop feeling. Lower rpm the car is louder with valves open and theres just enough turbo sound that doesn't sound like a wrx (i don't prefer obnoxiously loud bov/diverter valve sounds). I played with 2 cars...a mazdaspeed 3 and 135i and it was laughable how much faster I was just doing some short pulls nothing crazy. This car feels faster than my (manual) M4 was off the line. I saw the S3 got 3.9 0-60, wonder if TT-S would be 3.8 or 3.7 since its lighter weight. I can't imagine what the new TT-RS would be like....Anyways, got the car dialed in now and its a perfect daily drive for such simple and inexpensive mods.
Any pics and write up on how you "manually opened exhaust valves"?
I'm always hesitant to use filters that use oil. I've done it before on 2 Audi's and always thought that they led to MAF issues in the future at the very least.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jester7677
Any pics and write up on how you "manually opened exhaust valves"?
I'm always hesitant to use filters that use oil. I've done it before on 2 Audi's and always thought that they led to MAF issues in the future at the very least.
I believe our engines have no MAF.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have yet to have the oil mess up a MAF sensor. As far as opening the flaps it is not bad on driver side,but passenger side is kind of hard to reach. It's as simple as using a flat head screwdriver and pushing out a small clip and then pushing out connector. The flaps are located close to exhaust tips right behind bumper. This is the order I did it.....

1. First loosen connectors but leave plugged in (practice this so you can get to quick when car is running)
2. Start car and put in dynamic and push down throttle (On my M4 I had to do this to open flaps...not sure if this step is needed)
3. While car is running I disconnected flaps then shut off car.
4 I placed a small piece of electrical tape over end of connector and put connector back in (so it's sealed but not making contact)

*It seems flaps close if you don't leave car running when disconnecting
Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have yet to have the oil mess up a MAF sensor. As far as opening the flaps it is not bad on driver side,but passenger side is kind of hard to reach. It's as simple as using a flat head screwdriver and pushing out a small clip and then pushing out connector. The flaps are located close to exhaust tips right behind bumper. This is the order I did it.....

1. First loosen connectors but leave plugged in (practice this so you can get to quick when car is running)
2. Start car and put in dynamic and push down throttle (On my M4 I had to do this to open flaps...not sure if this step is needed)
4 I placed a small piece of electrical tape over end of connector and put connector back in (so it's sealed but not making contact)

Does it throw a code that needs to be cleared?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for this. may need to do this. was going to look into purchasing an armytrix exhaust but rather save 3k

im a bit confused for step 2. start the car and put in dynamic mode, so the car is in drive, then u step on throttle while the engine is in dynamic? also did you disconnect the valve while someone else stepped on ( so simultaneously disconnect while stepping on throttle ) it or did u just need to step on it once, then you can run to the back and disconnect?

also did you need to get it on jack stands or a ramp? or is it visible by just crawling under?

any videos? from 1-5, 1 being the sound of the stock TT note, 5 being super loud, how would u rate the increase in sound?

thanks again. excited to try this

Last edited by Bknewtype; 04-19-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I may join you guys and open the valves this way. If I do, I'll use the sound meter on my iPhone.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just did this last night. No idea if it worked lol. I dont notice much sound difference on stationary revs but i heard a bit audible difference when reversing lol
Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
I just did this last night. No idea if it worked lol. I dont notice much sound difference on stationary revs but i heard a bit audible difference when reversing lol
Well at best it would keep the exhaust in Dynamic mode, right? So I suspect your removal of the resonators is the best your going to do with the stock system, right?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jester7677
Well at best it would keep the exhaust in Dynamic mode, right? So I suspect your removal of the resonators is the best your going to do with the stock system, right?

I have no idea. sometimes I feel like bringing it to the exhaust shop and removing my rear muffler to see if it improves the sound. other times I say this is fine cause I don't want to destroy my stock system , and should live with what I have or get an aftermarket system.

will need tips to do a new Y section for the rear. overall cost would b around 400 ish I assume. debating.....

Quick Reply: update on mods...