TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Videos / photos of how Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay works on TT Virtual Cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Videos / photos of how Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay works on TT Virtual Cockpit

Hi there

Any videos / photos out there of how Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay works on TT Virtual Cockpit?

If you have that feature would be great to see what it looks like!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This should get you started:

https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/sl...irtual-cockpit

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...2906029/page2/

See Audi Smartphone Interface Section:
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...017-TT-QSG.pdf

Last edited by Can_Quattro; 06-18-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Hi there

Any videos / photos out there of how Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay works on TT Virtual Cockpit?

If you have that feature would be great to see what it looks like!

I forced myself to use Carplay on a 600+ mile drive out to the suburbs of Pittsburgh and back. It was mostly straightline driving so not a lot of dynamic routing per se. I did get some nice driving time in on the hills surrounding the college my son was visiting, so I got a chance to see how Apple Maps works as well. Here are my observations:

* The Carplay Interface is not designed for a scroll wheel. To navigate the various menu items requires you use the left dial to scan through all the options - this is NOT recommended when you are doing anything other than straight line driving.
* Google Maps on MMI still works in Carplay mode. Phone and Music does not. Vehicle Settings and Vehicle Information works. The * button does not work.
* Getting used to scrolling/controlling through the left dial but changing volume and track using the right dial was a bit of a mental shift. You get used to it real quick but I more than once accidentally blared the stereo when I was trying to scroll through the options.
* If you just want to switch between Map and Music, CarPlay is pretty good. It will stay on the last action, so if you just switched to the music app to see what's playing, just clicking the left jog dial will switch you to the Maps app so you can see the route.
* In Maps, you are forced into 3D mode unless you are approaching a turn - then it switches automatically to 2D mode. I hated this. I prefer a 2D fixed perspective map so I always know left and right on the map.
* Also in Maps, if you do not have a route planned, the Maps app will not download/cache maps. Supposedly with a route programmed in, Maps will download sufficient data to reroute to a limited extend along the entire route. I was not able to test this.
* Music is a waste of space. No album art, which is just pitiful. Big controls that really do nothing but take up space. Again, it is fine from the perspective of a touch interface - you want big buttons so you don't have to peck for a button while going 80. But in MMI, it's just a waste. Plus you can't switch to the large dial format while in Carplay (technically if I recall, you can switch but then Carplay gives you a message saying that it won't be active in that mode).
* Siri was not terrible at recognizing destinations. It usually found what I was looking for.

Overall, I did get used to the interface. But I really didn't see that it added a ton of value beyond what the MMI already provided, and in fact in some cases it was much more limiting (ie, Album Art, plus the expansive Google Earth based mapping).

What I've started doing instead is pre-planning my trip on Google Maps and entering the same destination on the Audi Nav, and turning off the nav prompts. Audi's routing software usually finds a route that matches the route pulled up by Google Maps, so I can see where I'm supposed to go on the beautiful MMI screen while getting prompts from Google Maps on my phone. The MMI shows me album art, I can switch between big and small dials whenever I want, I can switch drive mode using the * button any time - it seems to be much better. It's a pain that I can't do multi-point routing and I have to pre-plan, but I think this makes it worthwhile.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

Let me revive this thread and say that CarPlay now works with Google Maps (and it's gorgeous, with phone-streamed 3D satellite view). However, most of these complaints are still valid. I wish I could use CarPlay just for Nav, but it also takes over audio/song selection, and there is no hard button to get back into it.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve actually been pretty disappointed by google maps on CarPlay. The gps signal is not as good for some reason and apple restricts what can be done in the CarPlay interface so google can’t customize as much. Will see how it develops.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Waze has been added to CarPlay now under OS12.....used it in friends VW Passat this weekend. Will be using on my drive home tomorrow in the TTRS to see how it is....anyone else tried it yet?
Old 05-19-2019, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
Waze has been added to CarPlay now under OS12.....used it in friends VW Passat this weekend. Will be using on my drive home tomorrow in the TTRS to see how it is....anyone else tried it yet?
Anyone have CarPlay working in the virtual cockpit on a 2018/2019 A4?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Try the A4 board

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
Anyone have CarPlay working in the virtual cockpit on a 2018/2019 A4?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

So i'm a security architect by trade, and actually this piece has me a little concerned.
The MMI has overlays from the engine/suspension/chassis control inputs which indicates that at least in part of the stack, the always-connected multimedia subsystem is adjacent to the car's control plane (for the dangerous stuff).
Add to that the "post-crash brake lockup" feature, and there may be surface for some seriously dangerous crap.

Concurrently, the admittedly crappy permissions structure even in AOSP is too generous with giving access to call history - i was able to keep it out of my texts, but it has my contacts and calls which is a bit more than a "headset connection" should do (this is an android problem).
Using GrapheneOS (big ups to Daniel as always), i dont have the full Google stack needed for car-play, but there's even more bidirectional interface there.
Why does this matter? Because the car processes data it acquires from the phone, and if a subsystem/library/etc in the stack has flaws which can be triggered by malformed inputs, then the car takes a lot of inputs from the connected device.

I'd generally caution people who may be prone to installing apps/games/etc on their phones to be weary of permitting these potentially compromised contexts direct access to something responsible for the safety of driver/family/others.

Also, when you take delivery of the car - CHANGE THE DEFAULT WIRELESS PASSWORD AND VISIBLE BROADCAST SSID SETTING. Otherwise, anyone who knows their super-complex default credential can bounce off your car to do "bad things" and it'll come back to your 4/5G link's IP.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macaddict111
Let me revive this thread and say that CarPlay now works with Google Maps (and it's gorgeous, with phone-streamed 3D satellite view). However, most of these complaints are still valid. I wish I could use CarPlay just for Nav, but it also takes over audio/song selection, and there is no hard button to get back into it.

How did you get CarPlay menu to display in the VC like that?

Quick Reply: Videos / photos of how Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay works on TT Virtual Cockpit