TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Virtual Cockpit/Sat Nav confusion (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virtual Cockpit/Sat Nav confusion (UK)

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a 2015 or 2016 TT or TTS. I've got myself utterly confused about the various technical packs and designations.

Can someone help me understand.

Where my confusion lies is with the Sat Nav. I see some cars that explicitly mention MMI Navigation and also have the virtual cockpit. Some that have the Virtual cockpit but DON'T mention Sat Nat, and some that mention Sat Nav but DON'T have the Virtual cockpit.

Now, the ones that explicitly mention the MMI Sat Nav - easy....... it had sat nav.

But the ones that have, and I quote - "12.3in Audi Virtual Cockpit to/3D Map Display" Does this mean they HAVE sat nav or just a map display. I ask this as I see ones that have the virtual cockpit, but no mention of the map display. Also, with the one above, no mention on the spec of Sat Nav.

Very confusing!

So, other than looking for an actual mention of MMI Navigation in the spec, can I guarantee that any particular technical description actually has it without it being mentioned as such?

In all honesty I'm pretty stunned that a car from this year at this level wouldn't have Sat Nav as standard, but we looked at one yesterday, and whilst it had a pretty high spec, NO say nav. Amazing!

Any help to cut through the confusion much appreciated!!

Grant
Old 06-04-2019, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm not familiar with the UK options back in 2015 and 2016, but you can look at the current configurator to get an idea based on the 2019s. For starters, all MK3 TT/TTS have virtual cockpit standard, so not sure how you saw one w/o. It's an integral part of the TT dashboard since there is no separate center screen for the Infotainment system. Navigation is a separate package for the TT. The TTS seems to have it standard. It's now called the Technology Pack, not sure what they called it back then. It adds navigation and some other stuff. Basically it upgrades the MMI with additional features, including navigation. The 3D Map Display is a feature of navigation, so I would assume that a car with that description has the navigation pack, but as it goes with used car descriptions, they are not always accurate, so best is to take the VIN and decode it or call up Audi to get the exact list of options the car was configured with.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

It was called "Technology Package" in 2016 as well (at least in USA). Sat Nav typically refers to the MMI implementation as part of this package. But of course option bundling/packaging differs widely from country to country.

The "3D" component of Navigation is actually a cellular-based Google overlay atop the MMI architecture (requiring Audi Connect service; purported to be going away in 2020 anyway). With no cell service it reverts to the standard MMI Nav display.

Concur that the best way is to decode the VIN as dealer web info on installed options may be inaccurate.