AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk3) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/)
-   -   What happened to rear legroom and cargo capacity? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/what-happened-rear-legroom-cargo-capacity-2888241/)

HoTTrod 08-27-2015 07:10 AM

What happened to rear legroom and cargo capacity?

Hi guys, I currently have a 2009 TT S-line and previously owned a Mk1 FWD. I'm seriously thinking about ordering a loaded TTS, but with growing kids and the TT being my daily driver, I do have to consider practicality somewhat!

I just came from the dealership and am a bit shocked to see that the already-limited rear legroom of my MK2 has virtually disappeared, so much so that the Mk3 with the super sports seats has around the same room as my brother's 991 Carrera S, i.e.: virtually nil unless the front seats are pushed forward considerably, and headroom also seems to have suffered. In addition, the trunk is a lot shallower than on my Mk2, perhaps as the Mk3 has a spare and my Mk2 has a compressor and a can of gunk, or perhaps the car I saw today was a quattro...

The Mk3 TTS is very compelling, but because I have to live with the car I'm concerned that the two issues above may be a deal-breaker for me... Can anyone confirm whether their observations are the same?

Many thanks!

Can_Quattro 08-27-2015 07:53 AM

What happened to rear legroom and cargo capacity?

I can confirm that the 2016 TT has a spare tire in North America. Most reviews have suggested there is slightly more rear seat room, but still only for small children really. I would be tempted to start looking into the 2nd gen A5/S5 which should be lighter and more fun when it arrives. Not to mention more practical for growing kids. Nobody sits in the back of my car so I can live with the rear parcel shelf :)

HoTTrod 08-27-2015 10:53 AM

Thanks, I wonder if I can get rid of the spare tyre and it's foam carrier and replace this myself with the compressor combo in order to gain some more trunk space...

I wasn't keen on the first A5 but am sure the next one will be worth a look - any idea when this is expected?

i3adSaab 08-28-2015 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by HoTTrod (Post 24718899)
Hi guys, I currently have a 2009 TT S-line and previously owned a Mk1 FWD. I'm seriously thinking about ordering a loaded TTS, but with growing kids and the TT being my daily driver, I do have to consider practicality somewhat!

Honestly I don't think I'd ever put any kids in those back seats....our daily driver is a big ass Volvo wagon, we get in an accident and the other guy dies. My wife calls my TT the death mobile. If you get rear ended, not much room there from bumper to back seat. Be careful!

KurtEiger 08-28-2015 08:15 AM

The TT is what you want, but it's not really practical for a guy with kids who may even occasionally ride back there, or carry more than a couple of duffle bags. Have you considered the A/S 4, 5, 6, or 7? All will have much more passenger and cargo space. The TT/S is a single guys car, or third family car, after an SUV and a sedan.

n828cl 08-28-2015 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by KurtEiger (Post 24719262)
The TT/S is a single guys car

Better not tell my wife that...

Huey52 08-28-2015 09:49 AM

My wife is looking forward to my (our) near future TTS. Go figger. ;)

But point well taken. Only the smallest of children will fit in back.

Originally Posted by n828cl (Post 24719286)
Better not tell my wife that...

n828cl 08-28-2015 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Huey52 (Post 24719293)
Only the smallest of children will fit in back.

Or in our case, with the seats down, folding bikes (Brompton and Gekko fx).

Vegas-roadster 08-28-2015 01:55 PM

FWIW, the roadsTTer's trunk is slightly larger than the Mk 2

Originally Posted by HoTTrod (Post 24718899)

I just came from the dealership and am a bit shocked to see that the already-limited rear legroom of my MK2 has virtually disappeared, so much so that the Mk3 with the super sports seats has around the same room as my brother's 991 Carrera S, i.e.: virtually nil unless the front seats are pushed forward considerably, and headroom also seems to have suffered. In addition, the trunk is a lot shallower than on my Mk2, perhaps as the Mk3 has a spare and my Mk2 has a compressor and a can of gunk, or perhaps the car I saw today was a quattro...

The Mk3 TTS is very compelling, but because I have to live with the car I'm concerned that the two issues above may be a deal-breaker for me... Can anyone confirm whether their observations are the same?

Many thanks!

according to the cubic feet specs I've read (it appears to be so in person too although the top sill is about 1/2" shallower.and best of all they accomplished that while adding a spare tire.

Huey52 08-28-2015 04:18 PM

To be fair my petite wife and daughter could both fit in back. 5'-2" tall is about the limit given the angle of the rear deck glass.