TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

What are people paying thread..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Paid

Okay gentlemen,

Purchased a Audi Q5 Prestege, with DAP, cold weather in Southeast. Price MSRP $55,5000. Pd 15% under invoice. for $47,500 + tax in Ga. Your thoughts.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cmait609
Okay gentlemen,

Purchased a Audi Q5 Prestege, with DAP, cold weather in Southeast. Price MSRP $55,5000. Pd 15% under invoice. for $47,500 + tax in Ga. Your thoughts.
Well, since this is an Audi TT thread, I'm not going to be able to help you.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Not sure I follow the logic. As a dealer, every pays the same for the car from Audi. A dealer does not make money trading a car to another dealer. 9 times out of 10, a trade is made for a car that they need or want for their inventory, or, for a future slot that is already allocated. The profit margin ultimately evens itself out. That being said, there are many dealers out there that simply will not deal with dealer trades at all. If they don't have it in their inventory, or their allocation, it doesn't get sold. Dealer trades often go great, I do them all the time - and sometimes it is a ton of back and forth to track down the right car, coordinate transportation, etc. But if the other car is what my client wants above all else, I'll go anywhere to get it for them. But when they go bad, they are a royal pain in the ***, and I have that happen as well. It can be so bad, it's enough to have dealers not want to do them again.

There are not, were not, and will not be many TT's made, because allocations are low, and demand is equally low. The point of my statement was the statement that they should be eager to make room for '19's. You won't see 19's till end of the year, and even then, they don't make many TT's in the first place because demand is low, even in warm weather markets. It's just not a car that commands much demand.

The inventory I posted above is current among Audi dealers for the TT and TT Roadster. I purposely left out the TT-S and RS, not that it would impact the total much anyway, and thos are even more niche than a TT. I am accessing it through Audi's direct inventory, not a third party.
Thanks for providing your source of the data. As I expected there are far more TTs sitting on lots than what you see on cars.com. Looks to be a 2 month supply if you also count my TTS and TTRS numbers. I fully agree with you that it is way too early for dealers making any price decision regarding present inventory vs 2019 orders. I've given up expecting logic from Audi USA, but since about 3000 TTs were sold in CY 16, the start of the Mk 3, and they are only selling about 2000 cars a year now, it would appear that Audi could easily provide 50% more cars to the US than they are selling now. That is, allocations to a dealer should be a non-problem because there is certainly unused TT production capacity yet I keep hearing about dealer allocation issues. Seems to me this is merely a ploy to try to maintain prices by trying to create artificial scarcity. It seems to be a chicken-egg issue. That is, Audi is not selling more TTs because buyers see few choices, if any, on a dealer lot. Most folks don't want to wait for a car to be manufactured and shipped from Europe. Audi's market strategy of not providing certain models (like the TTS and S3 convertibles), the very limited paint and interior color choices (if you call mostly monochromatic "color") and the strange restrictions on what color interior can be ordered with which paint just baffles me.

Regarding having a dealer get you a car from another dealer, must it always be a swap of one car for another between dealers? Seems like it could be a straight sale with both dealerships sharing the profit in some manner. In any event, I've never heard of a great deal being had by someone buying a car in another dealer's inventory. I've never suggested such a thing to a car salesman but they frequently tell me they can easily get a car from another dealer if they do not have what I want in their stock. The one time in my life I told them to check it out when I was looking for my first TT in 2001, they came back with a price that was above MSRP while most dealers were offering a $500 "courtesy" discount from MSRP at best. While I did not know which specific dealer my local Vegas dealer (there was only one in town at that time) had talked to, I assumed it had to be in SoCal, so I emailed all of them in SoCal and one dealer offered a 5% discount and got the sale.

Another factor in a sale is doc fees. In Vegas, many dealers are asking $500 for doc fees! In CA, they are limited by law to be no more than about $125 which is still ridiculous. That is why I always negotiate a price "out the door" so there are no surprises.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 04-11-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tcapoccia
I just purchased a new Yellow 2017 TT Roadster that had a MSRP of $54,650, and I paid $50,000.

The dealers Document Fee was $140. Purchased from Audi Allentown, PA. Very Good Dealer!
Hey there fellow Virginian! I am sort of near your area and I am trying to get a TT as well! I checked the inventory but looks like there are no more 2017...? Did they sell out that quickly?!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

11 new 17s on cars.com
Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Another factor in a sale is doc fees. In Vegas, many dealers are asking $500 for doc fees! In CA, they are limited by law to be no more than about $125 which is still ridiculous. That is why I always negotiate a price "out the door" so there are no surprises.
Yeah. I got my monthly lease price down to where I want it to be (have to stay within certain budget as my company pays for it) with 5% plus an additional $200 off MSRP with no cap cost reduction; upon reviewing the quote, there's $1162 under "Total Initial Fees" line; that's in additional to paying sales tax for my lease up front. I asked for a breakdown of that and was told $895 Acquisition fee, $244.50 "Prep", which includes full detailing of the car, full tank of gas, title and document fees; $10 Inspection and $12.50 tire.

Is that the correct acquisition fee? Any opportunity to negotiate any of these?

Think there's a chance of negotiating that "prep" price down?

Last edited by Brando384; 04-12-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Thanks for providing your source of the data. As I expected there are far more TTs sitting on lots than what you see on cars.com. Looks to be a 2 month supply if you also count my TTS and TTRS numbers. I fully agree with you that it is way too early for dealers making any price decision regarding present inventory vs 2019 orders. I've given up expecting logic from Audi USA, but since about 3000 TTs were sold in CY 16, the start of the Mk 3, and they are only selling about 2000 cars a year now, it would appear that Audi could easily provide 50% more cars to the US than they are selling now. That is, allocations to a dealer should be a non-problem because there is certainly unused TT production capacity yet I keep hearing about dealer allocation issues. Seems to me this is merely a ploy to try to maintain prices by trying to create artificial scarcity. It seems to be a chicken-egg issue. That is, Audi is not selling more TTs because buyers see few choices, if any, on a dealer lot. Most folks don't want to wait for a car to be manufactured and shipped from Europe. Audi's market strategy of not providing certain models (like the TTS and S3 convertibles), the very limited paint and interior color choices (if you call mostly monochromatic "color") and the strange restrictions on what color interior can be ordered with which paint just baffles me.

Regarding having a dealer get you a car from another dealer, must it always be a swap of one car for another between dealers? Seems like it could be a straight sale with both dealerships sharing the profit in some manner. In any event, I've never heard of a great deal being had by someone buying a car in another dealer's inventory. I've never suggested such a thing to a car salesman but they frequently tell me they can easily get a car from another dealer if they do not have what I want in their stock. The one time in my life I told them to check it out when I was looking for my first TT in 2001, they came back with a price that was above MSRP while most dealers were offering a $500 "courtesy" discount from MSRP at best. While I did not know which specific dealer my local Vegas dealer (there was only one in town at that time) had talked to, I assumed it had to be in SoCal, so I emailed all of them in SoCal and one dealer offered a 5% discount and got the sale.

From time to time cars get purchased outright, but profit isn't made. It's seen as a good faith act to do a swap - help a fellow dealer put a deal together, and in turn get something back in, either from present inventory or future, that is equally sell-able. Often times it's like for like (give up an S5 Prestige, get one back), but, it can also be different depending on the level of need. I just traded out an A4 manual, which is already scarce, and, got an S5 Sportback Prestige in return.

Yes,. some states are insane with the doc fees and such. I am in PA, so they are capped as well, which makes it much easier on everyone. Surprises are the absolute WORST, so we are always transparent to avoid such situations.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

MSRP 51195
Negotiated Price 46350

42 months 7500k a year
Money Factor .00135
53% residual

592 month
1020 down includes first months payment

what do you think of this deal?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replying to the bolded text. I'm getting 6.5% off of MSRP on a car that was not in my dealer's inventory but is located out of state at another Audi dealership. My local dealership offered this deal to me based on the color and option preference I gave them. This is on a 2018 TTRS. I do not know the details of the trade or swap but I've already got my deposit down and the shipping details are being worked out now. MSRP - $74,600. Negotiated price - $69.835.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

boy i cant wait to buy a 19-20 RS cpo car in four years can you say sub 10k miles for $40K? i can.

Quick Reply: What are people paying thread..