VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing vag problem (adaptor status 3)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 06:04 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing vag problem (adaptor status 3)...

Vag.com won't connect with the car to pull info. Instead, I get status 3 indicating the cable is not found or not ready (com port seems okay)

I'm using an SSP100 Quatech PCMCIA Serial Adaptor with an ISO COM from Ross tech. The computer is a Compaq Presario 1505 with Win XP Home Ed. This whole set up worked for me a while ago, but for some reason no longer works.

I've updated the SSP100 driver, but that has not resolved the issue. I suspect it's either the cable/card supplied with the Quatech adaptor, or the ISO cable. Both appear to be physically fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to have to find someone local to test the ISO cable to see if I can rule that out.... If anyone has seen this before an has an simple answers for me, I'd appreciate a heads up.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Feel free to call us at 215-361-8942 while you are connected.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Thanks Andy...

I'm having someone check out the ISO cable with their laptop and car tonight. Hopefully that should narrow down the issue. I'll probably give you a call this week.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:41 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Update...

I checked out the ISO.COM on another laptop and another car...it works fine.

That leaves the Quatech adaptor or the laptop/operating system.

Looking at Quatech's website, they have an FAQ for testing the PCMCIA card which involves shorting pins 2 & 3 on the serial cable. You then go to Program Files >> Accessories >> Communications >> Hyperterminal. Set it up to run out of the com port that your Quatech adaptor runs at, and type away. If your text is echoed on the screen, the adaptor card is working properly. If the text does not appear on the screen, you have an issue with the adaptor card.

I have an issue with the adaptor card. Call has been placed with Quatech tech support. *sigh*
Old 06-03-2003, 11:16 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Update #2

Talked to Quatech...after performing their <a href="http://www.quatech.com/support/rs232pcmcia_faq.php#1">RS232 Loopback test</a> (failed) they agreed, there is &gt;80% likelihood that something is wrong with the adaptor card. Initially there was some confusion about who would be responsible for handling the warranty (quatech or the distributor I bought it from), however they both handled themselves in a very professional manner, worked it out amongst themselves, and quatech is going to overnight a new card to me. Hopefully this will fix the problem. More updates to follow.

<a href="http://www.quatech.com/support/pdf/RS232loopback.pdf">Quatech RS232 Loopback test (PDF)</a>
Old 06-11-2003, 04:30 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Update #3 (last and final)

Got the new PCMCIA card from Quatech, plugged it in, no dice, still DOA.

Called Ross-Tech, Uwe walked me through a few things on the computer, everything was fine. He asked me to take the serial plug part of the cable apart to inspect the wires, and low and behold...the #7 wire inside the serial connector came off. Soldered it back on, and it works fine now. This way I can remove the PCMCIA serial adaptor, and free up my only PCMCIA slot for wireless.

So I guess when I "tested" the cable last week on another laptop, the #7 wire just happened (by some stroke of dumb luck) to make contact, leading me to believe the cable was fine. *sigh*

Regardless, AWE offered to take the cable on trade for a USB cable, and I think I'm going to take him up on it.