Sponsored by:

P0491 P0492 Insufficient Air flow

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0491 P0492 Insufficient Air flow

Hi all!

Hope I can find some help here.. Got a 2012 S4, check engine light came ON with the above two codes. Started to troubleshoot:
  • manually checked the air pump by applying 12 volts on it - it worked
  • decided to run the pump using VCDS - Did not find an output test for secondary air injection system, went into the basic settings and found a command for checking secondary air injection system - it didn't not allow me to check the system while the ignition was ON - it said "aborted-safety reason:mulfuntion", I had to start the car and ran the command one more time, it worked afterwards and it said "runningperate brake pedal and depress acceleration pedal" - but I did not hear the pump running nor the relay clicking
  • While the system check was running I disconnected the power connector from the pump and measured voltage on the contacts - there was 0 volts
  • Checked 50A fuse, and it was OK
  • Removed the relay, checked it and it was OK
  • I wanted to see if the ECU is sending a signal to the relay to activate the pump, connected voltage meter to the power contacts in the relay socket and tried running a system check again - and again there was 0 volts on the power contacts in the relay socket
Logically once you run a secondary air injection system check - ECU triggers the relay, relay powers up the pump. In my case it does not seem to be powering up the air pump when I execute secondary air injection system check through VCDS, what the hell?!

Has anybody seen anything like this before? Could it be that my ECU doesn't accept the command from the VCDS? I have been browsing for a while, and saw many people did the the pump check using "output test" - in my case such output test does not exist, I have to go in to "basic settings" and run a "checking secondary air injection system" command. Is it possible that this command does not activate the pump at all? If so, how should I check the pump in this case?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Andrey
The following users liked this post:
SapperVee1263 (06-13-2020)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate, are you referring to the electric barke vacuum pump, or the electric air injection pump. These are 2 seperate pumps on seperate circuits. One for the barkes the other for the exhaust manifold on cold start up. Just asking as you said the vcds tests advised to press the brake pedal, which shoudnt be necessary for the exhaust system circuits?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF YOUR S4 HAS LESS THEN 120K ON IT TAKE IT INTO A DEALERSHIP THERE IS AN EXTENSION WARRENTY FOR SECONDARY AIR SYSTEM. THE PORTS WOULD NEED TO BE CLEANED OUT.