Sponsored by:

Is there a site....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 05:23 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a site....

...that has a spreadsheet or something showing what can be re-coded using the VAG COM for the different model years. For example: The computer clearly has the different settings for Canada and US, but does anyone know what these setting actually do? Can I use it to reset the range of my headlights? Change language of display?

The dealer will recode the door locks but won't recode for window roll-down (although that is an optional coding in Europe).

What incentive do I have to buy one of these things - assuming that I'd take the car to a dealership to fix any fault codes under warranty anyway?

Any news on porting this to the palm platform - sure would make it portable...
Old 03-14-2003, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default links

<a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html</a>

That's for B5 platform, but I don't know what ride you have. You can cruise a level up on ross-tech's site and check out settings for other cars. Yes, you can recode for window roll-down, yes you can change language display, but I don't know about range of headlights (is that just a function of xenon hl's?).

The incentive (at least I think) is to know whether the dealer is telling you the right thing. The catch is to be able to fix things yourself, and not have to bring it to the dealer to do it. Some guys around here live an hour or more away from the dealer, so for two or three trips to the dealer and back, they've already paid for the cost of the cable at least (from obdtool.com for the cheap one) to diagnose their car. It literally sucks to get a CEL, be worried for the day or days thereafter before going to the dealer, and they tell you that your gas cap isn't tightened.

If you've got cold feet about spending the cash, find someone local to you who has one and have them re-code for you. It might cost you a six-pack of beer, but you might find yourself wanting the VAG-COM thereafter. ;-)

I hope this answers your questions. As for porting to Palm, I know there are "Generic" OBD-II scanners, but I don't believe Ross-Tech is pursuing the development on Palm's platform... maybe PocketPC??

-Kenny