Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which VAG-COM to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which VAG-COM to buy

Hello all! New member!! I bought my first Audi last night, after a long extensive search in the Northeast US I found one in my price range, one owner, serviced at dealership every 3k miles like clockwork, i couldn't be more happy! All that aside, I am a tinkerer, I love to build, play, and drive. I come from a background of American cars ( I know they suck that's why I switched.....) and I am new to the German engineering game, and I can't wait to get my hands dirty. I have searched different VAG-com tools and I am wondering who out there could offer me some input on which device I should buy, and why.....and lastly will I need a laptop specifically for tuning with the device you suggest? Thanks in advance for any help guys I am very excited to be a member of this community!!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hey there

I'm in NJ and just did the same. Found a cherry A8L 2011 77k miles for $21.5. What did you find ? I am currently working on mirroring my Note 5 to the MMI so I can get Waze, et al so I need a VAGCOM (or someone to help me) to activate VIM.

License plate changeover is a PIA due to rusty screws and poor design, search on my name & you can see what I am up to (minor compared to what these other folks here get into). I need a VAGCOM also.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in Cleveland, OH I found a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro with 80k on the clock, she was serviced on time every 3k miles at the Audi dealer near me. I wish i could have had a larger budget for this car, but my wife and I just welcomed our first child 9 weeks ago, and the budget does not include dad buying expensive imports to play with lol! After all my months of research I found the 1.8t had an overall better platform for tuning and making it fast on a budget. I just can't wait to get a VAG-Com so I can do my own service and start to play with that engine.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2004** Fat fingered that in my response its a 2004 A4
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the baby, lots of great buys on used Audis out there especially if you find a well maintained cherry which it sounds like you did. Your only problem now is that your wife will want one LOL. Good luck and let me know if you figure out which VAGCOM to get. It's a bit confusing because many claim that off brands can't do it all and I am not sure which ones allow you the ability to hack.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well i broke down and bought a Foxwell NT510 for Audi/VW Foxwell NT510 Scanner with Free Car Brand Software +OBD seems like the best one for what I need, because we have other vehicles and I can just purchase vehicle specific software for it. It does coding as well. Gets good reviews from Audi and VW owners. Amazon said it will be here tomorrow, I will let you know how I feel after I get some use out of it.