VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG COM in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VAG changes were printed from this site.---> http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html

Cheers
Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default VAG Coms Done!

Originally Posted by K-man
Hi there,
I was able to have the VAG com changes done by a Chicago mechanic . I was charged $50/- to apply 3 changes and it works like a charm... The changes done were
1. Disable the 'wink' effect ie Turning of DRL when turn signal is on
2. Full needle sweep along with test of warning lights like in S4, S6 and A8 when ignition is turned on. Fun effect
3. LED down to 40% instead of default 9% when low beams are on

The shop contact info :
Lee Foreign Car Service
727 S. Jefferson St
Chicago
Tel 312-663-0823

Good luck...
K-Man,

I just had the shop you used/suggested (Lee's Foreign Car Service) make the same three VAG Com changes you did to my 2013 Q5 and am very pleased. I also had them make the change that causes the brake lights to flash/strobe during emergency/hard braking - but will need to have someone follow behind me to see if that works as described.

It cost me $110 - which is more than the $50 I think you paid but I'm not complaining - I'm just so damn glad to eliminate the inane DRL "Winking" that Audi saw fit to program into the American cars.

Now let's hope the Audi dealers don't change everyting back to default settings at an upcoming maintenance/warranty visit!

Thanks again for the recommendation! I highly recommend any Chicago area readers use Lee's for VAG Com tweaks!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbier
Now let's hope the Audi dealers don't change everyting back to default settings at an upcoming maintenance/warranty visit!
They will reset most of the mods, unless you request them not to hook up the PCM to do an update of the software.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by macatack
They will reset most of the mods, unless you request them not to hook up the PCM to do an update of the software.
Thanks for the heads-up! How often (or how routinely) do dealers typically try to update the software? Any concerns with not having the software updated? I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan so I'll be visiting the dealer for 3+ years!!

Wondering what the dealer's reaction will be when I request they not perform any updates - will they question me and claim that making VAG Com changes endangeres the warranty?

If they do reset my VAG Com changes, do they have the technical ability to change them back? If so are they going to claim they're not allowed to?

Sorry for so many questions.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default PCM?

By the way - what does PCM stand for? ________ Control Module?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the heads-up! How often (or how routinely) do dealers typically try to update the software? Any concerns with not having the software updated? I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan so I'll be visiting the dealer for 3+ years!!
I my experience is every time you drop off the car they will hook up the Power Control Module aka PCM or Engine Control Module aka ECM, not sure what officially Audi calls the main module, and unload the information in the control unit to Audi corporate.

Wondering what the dealer's reaction will be when I request they not perform any updates - will they question me and claim that making VAG Com changes endangeres the warranty?
My dealer has been pretty cool about it, I have asked them not to hook it up and they have done it no questions asked, doesn't mean others will be as nice, but I also have not been in for service for a while, with Audi cracking down on things they might ignore my request. I personal opinion is Audi is not looking for VAG coding like you are doing, probably looking for people doing performance mods.

If they do reset my VAG Com changes, do they have the technical ability to change them back? If so are they going to claim they're not allowed to?
Yes they do, but I seriously doubt they will change them back for you, that's why I bought my own cable.

Sorry for so many questions.
Not a problem, asking questions is how we all learn!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks!

I my experience is every time you drop off the car they will hook up the Power Control Module aka PCM or Engine Control Module aka ECM, not sure what officially Audi calls the main module, and unload the information in the control unit to Audi corporate.

My dealer has been pretty cool about it, I have asked them not to hook it up and they have done it no questions asked, doesn't mean others will be as nice, but I also have not been in for service for a while, with Audi cracking down on things they might ignore my request. I personal opinion is Audi is not looking for VAG coding like you are doing, probably looking for people doing performance mods.

Yes they do, but I seriously doubt they will change them back for you, that's why I bought my own cable.

Not a problem, asking questions is how we all learn!
THANKS! I'm betting I'll end of getting my own cable. I found another thread on this site about Ross' VAG COM readers - and posed a question trying to determine if they're fairly intuitive to use (I'm handy but have never used an automotive code reader, etc). What has your experience been?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not had any issues doing my own coding, but I usually follow a predetermination outline on how to change the code, like you find on some of the threads in Audi World and other forums but I don't start changing anything I am not 100% sure what it does first.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have not had any issues doing my own coding, but I usually follow a predetermination outline on how to change the code, like you find on some of the threads in Audi World and other forums but I don't start changing anything I am not 100% sure what it does first.
Thanks, I think that would have to be my approach also.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

and don't forget to save an Autoscan before you make changes. When you get all your changes done, I would save another scan so that you have a record of before and after. Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: VAG COM in Chicago?