Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which vagcom do I buy?

I own a 2004 Audi A8L 4.2
My father owns a 2006 VW Toureg 4.2
My Mom has a 2006 Audi A6 4.2

which interface should I buy?
Is there one which works for all 3 cars?

There is nothing like the pull of a strong 4.2

Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case I got the usb connection type... they call it hex-can.
it works on both our Q5 and my daughters VW Jetta... all recent diagnostics ports on us spec cars are the same, so the type of pc/laptop connection is more of a factor, than the car...

This should narrow it down for you:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...ons/index.html

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.1

1.1 Will VCDS work with my car?

VCDS will work with most Volkswagen and Audi models sold World-Wide 1994 through the current model year. It will work with some cars all the way back to model year 1990. It will also work with most late-model SEAT, and Skoda models sold in markets other than North America. If your VW or Audi has a 16-pin "OBD-II style" Data Link Connector, VCDS will definitely work. If your car has the old "2x2" Data Link Connection, check if there is a wire going to each pin, as shown in the picture. If there are four wires, VCDS should work with any diagnostics-capable modules that are present. If there are only three wires, then nothing in the car is diagnostics-capable.. Please see these Application Charts where you can select your model and see which modules can communicate with VCDS. Also see the Issues page for a few things that may not work as expected. If in doubt, e-mail us.

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 11-24-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The full product name is VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN interface (http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html)

The HEX+CAN series interface is compatible with all VW/Audi from 1995 through 2012 with the exception of the Routan which is a re-badged Chrysler.

Anything else we can help answer?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a cable off ebay to work with my 2004 A4 but when trying to run the initial test, the usb interface isn't recognized. Will the Vag-Com software only work with the cable that Ross tech sells? I've searched this question, but have come up empty. It just seems like $250 is a lot to spend on a cable. Are there any other cheaper options? Thanks so much!!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the knockoffs are sometimes problematic from what I hear...

You aren't paying $250 for a cable, you are paying for a licensed legal copy of proprietary software that works best with the cable it's designed for...

Hpw about this analogy:
Why pay $250 for an audi when a $25 chevy does some of the same things?

the knockoffs can do some things I heard, but I would rather trust my $40k+ car to a legal cable that is the conduit for software changes that could cripple my car if done incorrectly...

but that's just me - please feel free to use what you like !

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

The genuine Ross-Tech cable is your key to access the VCDS software. Do you have any idea what it cost Ross-Tech to develop this software for the various VW/Audi models and make it functional with the various user computers? Ross-Tech also has to keep up with the new models, correct the inevitable software bugs, and market the product. Ross-Tech is a business that has found a need and is supplying it. As a business, it must earn a profit (not a bad word) to stay in business. Thanks Uwe and staff for your good product and your excellent support. By the way, I have no affiliation with Ross-Tech other than being a satisfied user of VCDS.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

x 2 what have been said.

I'm happy I got Ross-Tech!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ross-Tech is the way to go. I've seen posts with their staff helping with log reviews and such for those who have their cables and software. You won't get that kind of support from a knock-off cable dealer.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by zulujams
I've seen posts with their staff helping with log reviews and such for those who have their cables and software. You won't get that kind of support from a knock-off cable dealer.
And you won't get any help from Ross-Tech's staff if you are using a knock off cable......
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok ok...judas priest! I was just wondering where everyone got their cables ha ha and was not expecting the verbal bitch slap from people. I will purchase the real cable, gosh!! I appreciate the tough love everyone

Quick Reply: which vagcom do I buy?