Notices
Vehicles For Sale - Archive (NO NEW POSTS HERE) This section is sortable by model. Please include the prefix for your car's model when posting.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Audi A6 feeler - 1995 Audi A6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feeler - 1995 Audi A6 Quattro

I'm waiting delivery on a new Audi. When the new car arrives in early May, my old car will be for sale. I'm putting this posting up early as a heads up and to get some idea of interest (e.g. if there's absolutely no interest and the dealer gives me a decent trade in, I may just turn the car in.) The best estimate I have for delivery of the new car is "week of May 5, 2014".

1995 Audi A6 Quattro sedan, 5 speed manual transmission. It’s in Columbus, Ohio.
Green exterior, ecru leather interior.

I bought it in 2000 with 46k miles. As of 4-10-2014 it had about 154,600 miles.
The engine is stock.
The suspension has been changed: it has German market Audi sport springs and Bilstein HD shocks. The suspension was changed in 2006 when the car had 95k miles.
Springs part numbers:
front 4A0-411-105F (1 yellow - 3 orange)
rear 4A5-511-115AF (1 yellow - 2 blue)

I can provide the full service history, but in brief:
- last major service (e.g. every 30k miles) at 153k miles in February 2014.
- timing belt/water pump/thermostat etc were done at about 148k miles in December 2012.

AC works well. Transmission has no problems. Engine runs well. The car consumes a little oil; maybe a quart every 3-5k miles. It's oil consumption has not changed in the 14 years I've had the car. I get about 21 mpg around the city and I've gotten as much as 30 on a steady highway cruise.

Neither the clutch nor anything in the exhaust system have ever been replaced while I've had the car. I don't think they were ever replaced before I got it either. I have the car serviced at MAG in Dublin, Ohio, and I'm fairly sure that if it needed either one of those they would have told me (they love to spend my money.)

The interior is in good shape. The leather seats are worn but not torn. The steering wheel is very worn. There's also a brand new set of front floor mats that I haven't even put into the car.

I've replaced the factory radio with a Blaupunkt aftermarket radio including bluetooth phone interface and handsfree calling. I made wiring harness adapters, so the original harness is intact. I can also supply the original radio if someone really likes cassette tapes instead of CD.

The battery in the car is 13 years old (4/2001) and has given me no sign of trouble, even in this past winter with temperatures down to 0 for days at a time.

Wheels/Tires:
The car currently has the 15" stock wheels with pretty new Michelin Alpin snow tires (this is the 2nd winter I've used them, and they have about 3400 miles on them.

I have an extra set of wheels that must be part of the sale:
Set of 16" Audi Avus wheels, 7.5x16 ET37, Audi part# 895601025M, with Pirelli PZero Rosso summer tires 205/55R16 91V. These tires are 7 years, but I only run them in the summer, e.g. May to November, so they have 29000 miles on them. They're about half worn, but the right rear has a nail on the inside shoulder that's causing a slow leak. If I was keeping the car, I would probably replace all 4 summer tires.

Everything on the car works correctly. All the electrics work correctly.
The only things I know are wrong:
Consumes a little oil, and this makes the EGR valve get clogged, so every couple years it has to be cleaned out. Last time this was done was at about 127k miles.
Outside rear view mirrors have the usual discoloration around the edges.
The lumbar support in the driver's seat doesn't work: turning the **** does nothing and the mechanism makes a noticeable noise from time to time.
The bottom two of the rear license plate screws are stripped out
I hear from time to time a clunk from the front left suspension, and I don't know what it is.
Cosmetic paint dings as you can see in the pictures.
The infrared remote control locks (transmitter in the key) still works, but the range is short, and sometimes when I'm parked in certain places they will not work. I don't know why, could be interference from something, maybe it overpowers the weak infrared light. I have not replaced the batteries in the transmitter in several years.
The lower surface of the sliding cover under the moonroof has fabric that’s coming loose, so it’s visibly sagging.
Lower part of the B-pillar interior cover, driver’s side, has a crack.

Normally the car starts on the first twist of the key, but I did have a couple occasions this winter of having to crank the car more than once to get it to start. The battery wasn't the problem, the engine was turning over, it just wasn't catching. It never failed to start, it just took more than the one twist that I expected. I had MAG look at it in February and they couldn't find anything. I suspect it could be fuel pressure related: as I recall the in-tank mounted fuel pumps in these cars are notorious for getting weak, and this one has never been replaced. It may be that I simply did not wait long enough after turning the ignition on before cranking the starter.

Price. I don't want to ask too much, I don't want to give it away.
Edmunds says dealer trade in is about 750 for such a car, and the price sold by a dealer might be around 2750.
A search of Autotrader turns up only about 3 A6's from 95-97, and the ones with similar mileage are indeed going for around 3000 at dealers.
The only ones I can find on Autotrader however are automatics, and mine's a manual.

So, to pick a price, I'm starting half way between trade in and retail at about $2000, and adding just a little bit for the extra wheels, bringing it to $2400. I think that's probably a fair price and I would be happy with that.

Pictures over here.
Attached Images  

Last edited by francobarber; 04-15-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: fix typo error in wheels part#