Advice for Selling a 1988 Audi 5000 S Quattro (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for Selling a 1988 Audi 5000 S Quattro (USA)

Hi everybody!

I was hoping to get some advice on selling a used 1988 Audi 5000 S which has been out-of-commission, sitting in my parent's driveway, for the past 5+ years. Prior to that, the car was operational, but started to be ignored when it became unreliable (possible fuel pump issue) and the Audi dealer told my parents it would take a couple thousand over the next few years to keep it road-worthy.

Since then, it has accumulated some significant grime, but the body is otherwise intact (color white), with original parts and detailing. I am including some pictures here just for the sake of identification - obviously I'm not afraid to wash the car before actually listing it. I have a fairly thorough service record for the car and a full service manual for the model also.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly), that any potential buying is going to be more interested in selling it piecemeal than doing the overhaul it probably requires, but would be interested in your advice. Where would be best for me to list the car? Do you think I would even be able to find a buyer for this model? And what should I expect out of the process? I would love to find someone who could appreciate the car, but am I going to get more out of it than just selling it for scrap?

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Old 07-17-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact it's an Avant helps a little, and it looks in solid shape if it's cleaned up and buffed, BUT, it looks to be an auto fwd model, not a quattro. Is it turbocharged or NA? If it's NA, which I think it is, it's not going to be worth much to most people. Maybe $500ish, if it's turbo, might be worth a few hundred more to the right person if it's running. Post it on the local CL, or the Facebook large chassis audi group and here and see what happens. Selling it for any amount of money to another enthusiast is always better than letting it go to scrap IMO. Even if it gets parted out, the parts will help keep others alive. There looks to be plenty of solid parts on it still. Where are you located?