Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

A5 + Philly winters

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A5 + Philly winters

My daughter will be starting grad school this fall, and might be spending the next 4 years in a north Philly suburb.
Any of you guys live outside Philly that could give some opinions on tires for her A5 Quattro Sportback?
Looking at all-seasons, possibly Michelin A/S 3+ or Conti DWS06, since having to deal with dedicated snow tires is something she will never do.
Any others that would be recommended?
Thoughts?
I appreciate it.

Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 02-18-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

She will do well with either of those - use the Michelins on the RS3, Conti's on my S4 and A4, and live an hour from Philly. In the segment, those two are the only 2 I'd buy as well.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will weigh in, in case you are still pondering this. I have lived in Philly for more than 20 years. it is a no brainer to get a dedicated set of snow tires on winter wheels. In the winter, road conditions are terrible - lots of pot holes, we get cold, wet winters, sometimes snow. First, I would rather bend a cheaper rim on a pot hole than the expensive audi rims. second, snow tires perform better in the cold, wet weather than all seasons. much better traction, and most importantly, better stopping power, which reduces the chances of sliding into the car/ tree in front of you.
I have run snow tires on an A4, two A6s, an A 7 and now an S5. put them on both my kids VWs. every now and again I get lazy and leave the all seasons on too long - have always regretted it when the weather gets ugly
Old 12-31-2019, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RaudiA7
I will weigh in, in case you are still pondering this. I have lived in Philly for more than 20 years. it is a no brainer to get a dedicated set of snow tires on winter wheels. In the winter, road conditions are terrible - lots of pot holes, we get cold, wet winters, sometimes snow. First, I would rather bend a cheaper rim on a pot hole than the expensive audi rims. second, snow tires perform better in the cold, wet weather than all seasons. much better traction, and most importantly, better stopping power, which reduces the chances of sliding into the car/ tree in front of you.
I have run snow tires on an A4, two A6s, an A 7 and now an S5. put them on both my kids VWs. every now and again I get lazy and leave the all seasons on too long - have always regretted it when the weather gets ugly
What winter tires are you running on your S5 Sportback?