Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Leaking wheel issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking wheel issue

Hi everyone,

I've got a 2015 B8.5 S4 on 20" Work Gnosis CV201's with Nankang NS2 rubber. I realize the rubber is generally crap (wheels came brand new with that rubber) but I am experience an issue with my FR wheel that I can't figure out.

a couple months ago I started to experience a slow leak that progressed rapidly (ie overnight) into a flat. I brought the car to a tire shop, they said there was a very miniscule bend in the wheel so they repaired, reinflated, and off I went. It was flat again the next morning. They checked again and said it was bent again, so they "repaired" again. Flat in a week, again. This time around, they oversealed the rim and tire with that black sealeant and it has lasted me a month - now flat again.

I tried to inflate it at home, it won't take any air at all unless I lift the vehicle - then it holds air for an hour or so. The stem looks fine based on water soap test, seems like it's leaking air all around. I can't tell if it's a rubber issue or if it's a rim issue. To the eye, the rim looks fine albeit I know it can look visually fine but structurally not. Generally speaking though, I've had some severely bent rims with previous cars and haven't had the same pressure issues, just mainly ride issues and slower air leaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My next thought is to just change the rubber and spend on a much more reliable brand.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you dunk the whole wheel / tire, its tough to say where the leak is of course. There may be a stress crack in the wheel that is the problem.....