Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

All-season tire - need a little help on sizing

Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All-season tire - need a little help on sizing

Tire experts - need your input, please:

I have a brand new 2014 S4 with 19" wheels package that unfortunately came with summer tires. Living in the Chicago area, I would like to replace the summer tires with all-season ones. I considered getting a set of dedicated winter tires, but I think that good quality all-seasons will do just fine.

I have stock "peeler" wheels: 19 x 8.5 with 235/35/R19 tires installed.

I've never had Michelin's, so I would like to try Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - good reviews on Tirerack and on other sites.

Which size should I get?

Option 1: same as stock - 235 / 35 / R19

Option 2: 245 / 45 / R19 - how much the taller sidewall will compromise handling vs improving the ride quality?

Option 3: Should I consider the 265 width? Will it fit on the 8.5" wheel? I do like the look when the tire extends over the rim rather than being stretched.

Another question: I've been somewhat alerted to the fact that these stock wheels are heavy. How much difference will be noticeable if I replace the stock wheels with lighter wheels?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

All seasons are not the same as snow tires for winter - and if you plan to use this car full time in winter then look to get a set of wheel and snow tires. My daughter just moved to Chicago last year and I convinced her to do that - she has thanked me many times as she was able to drive when others were sliding all over the place.

Stick with OEM size or post your question on the S4 forum to see what other sizes have been run and what the effects were. One has to make sure that the outside diameter of the tire is the same when changing width and aspect ratio. Lots of applications on the web can tell you it a different size works.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Reggie. I did have a winter set for my previous car - RWD BMW, and they worked wonders in the snow. However, even during the last winter, there were just too many days when I was driving on winter tires on perfectly dry roads, so I was thinking about compromising on snow performance while getting decent all-around performance with these Michelins (at least this is what reviewers say)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vitas
Thanks, Reggie. I did have a winter set for my previous car - RWD BMW, and they worked wonders in the snow. However, even during the last winter, there were just too many days when I was driving on winter tires on perfectly dry roads, so I was thinking about compromising on snow performance while getting decent all-around performance with these Michelins (at least this is what reviewers say)
As far as the tire sizing goes - remember that a narrow tire does better in snow than wider
Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vitas
Tire experts - need your input, please:

I have a brand new 2014 S4 with 19" wheels package that unfortunately came with summer tires. Living in the Chicago area, I would like to replace the summer tires with all-season ones. I considered getting a set of dedicated winter tires, but I think that good quality all-seasons will do just fine.

I have stock "peeler" wheels: 19 x 8.5 with 235/35/R19 tires installed.

I've never had Michelin's, so I would like to try Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - good reviews on Tirerack and on other sites.

Which size should I get?

Option 1: same as stock - 235 / 35 / R19

Option 2: 245 / 45 / R19 - how much the taller sidewall will compromise handling vs improving the ride quality?

Option 3: Should I consider the 265 width? Will it fit on the 8.5" wheel? I do like the look when the tire extends over the rim rather than being stretched.

Another question: I've been somewhat alerted to the fact that these stock wheels are heavy. How much difference will be noticeable if I replace the stock wheels with lighter wheels?

Thanks in advance!
First I have to agree with Reggie. Full winter tires are much better for winter. Not only for snow. They work better on lower temperatures even if the road is perfectly dry. Around the corner, where it may not be that dry, they can make all difference in the world. Of course, if you decide to go that way, you need a set of wheels for those tires. You can get a set of nice cheep wheels at The Tire Rack. Tires too.

Now to your questions:

Option one is always good;

Option two won't work at all. They have 2.2 inches larger diameter. You may like this link.

Option three is possible if you go for 265/30x19, but they require minimum 9 inch wheels. They won't explode or something mounted on 8.5 inch wheels but it is out of recommendation.

Option four: go for 235/45x17 winter tires on 17x7.5 wheels if they can fit on top of your front brakes. That you have to check on the A4 forum. That would give you much deeper sidewall, better traction, more protection on winter pot holes and cost with wheels as those all sesons you are thinking about. On top of better performance year around two sets would last twice longer than one.

Just in case that 17's are too small for your brakes you can go for 235/40x18 on 18x8 wheels. Not as good solution as 17's but better than all seasons.