Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Concave wheel offsets

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concave wheel offsets

Hi, vehicle I own is a 2016 Audi a4 with 19" 255/35 tires and I purchased Vossen CV3R wheels 19x8.5 +30 offset. My question is was I able to go more lower in offset to have more of a convace wheel or I can't because my tires are not wide enough or the wheels I purchased are not wide enough? I got the rims today and they barely have the concave look. I don't really know much about wheels/tires so hopefully you guys can answer my question.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello, Congrats on the Vossen's they are beautiful. The reason you're not seeing the concave that you thought is because the Concave doesn't even begin to show until your at 9.5, 10.5 is amazing from a size profile on these Vossens. Your ET should be closer to 48 to look good. I have the VFS1 and I LOVE them
Old 08-18-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Melissa Nino
Hello, Congrats on the Vossen's they are beautiful. The reason you're not seeing the concave that you thought is because the Concave doesn't even begin to show until your at 9.5, 10.5 is amazing from a size profile on these Vossens. Your ET should be closer to 48 to look good. I have the VFS1 and I LOVE them

I meant ET of 40 sorry
Old 10-02-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Melissa Nino
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought a lower offset would usually have more concavity. The higher the offset is, the further toward the face of the wheel the plane of the hub attachment is, so lower offsets would have more concavity as the plane is farther from the surface of the wheel.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Neon01
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought a lower offset would usually have more concavity. The higher the offset is, the further toward the face of the wheel the plane of the hub attachment is, so lower offsets would have more concavity as the plane is farther from the surface of the wheel.
^^

You're right, but so is Melissa.

Wheel width comes first in terms of getting a concave look out of the design, and many need 10" to start "working". At that wheel width, an ET30 would be beyond the guards on an A4. Need to get a wider wheel further inside, but not hitting suspension components, and not having issues with the spokes hitting the brake caliper near the hub. It does seem counter-intuitive at first!

The Vossen CV3R is one that needs 10" to be effective, which is getting radical on an A4, Melissa's VFS1 work at 9.5 because of the spoke design, and that seems a better A4 size to me.
For the OP, unfortunately many of the great photos on-line by wheel suppliers are very extreme fitments, and when you see the wheel in a less extreme spec, they can look a bit disappointing. Also, the A5/S5 use a lower OEM offset, and have more space for wider wheels than the sedan model, so photos of those should be ignored. Don't know if the OP can change his wheels.

Of course, these sort of fittings have the potential to destroy suspension geometry (scrub radius can go way off), so needs checking before just bolting them on. Just because they fit doesn't mean they are a good fit . Stretching tyres and adding additional negative camber for the rear wheels to avoid rubbing only adds to performance compromise. Less of an issue if you are not tracking the car or travelling on an unlimited autobahn and have to emergency brake at 150mph+, just depends where priorities lie.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glisse
^^

You're right, but so is Melissa.

Wheel width comes first in terms of getting a concave look out of the design, and many need 10" to start "working". At that wheel width, an ET30 would be beyond the guards on an A4. Need to get a wider wheel further inside, but not hitting suspension components, and not having issues with the spokes hitting the brake caliper near the hub. It does seem counter-intuitive at first!
Yeah, I recognize that, but I was responding to the comment " Your ET should be closer to 48 to look good" (later corrected to ET40). For a given width of rim, higher offset is going to have less concavity. As you say, wider wheels are always going to be capable of giving higher concavity than more narrow wheels, but not necessarily. Increasing width by 1.5" (going from 8.5" to 10" wide) is effectively increasing ET by .75" (~18mm), at least in terms of where the back plane of the wheel is for brake/suspension contact purposes. It actually does the same for the front plane, and in fact, increasing the actual ET by half the width increase will maintain the same concavity (i.e. 19x8.5" ET30 should be nearly identical concavity to a 19x10" ET48 for the same wheel design)

Most folks would tend to go as low as they can on offset until they get poke or rubbing. At least, that's my approach to wheel sizing.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor

In the Audi / VW bolt pattern, most wheel manufacturers assume FWD or AWD application. Normally we only have access to noticeably concave wheels (rear / wide wheels) for RWD cars as they are more likely to have the fat fenders needed to put the wide wheel in there. Having said that, there are sure to be several (smaller) manufacturers out there may offer something you may like but we would be out of luck.