AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/wheels-tires-discussion-2/)
-   -   Correct tire inflation pressure (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/wheels-tires-discussion-2/correct-tire-inflation-pressure-2968815/)

md4msu 03-15-2019 05:33 AM

Correct tire inflation pressure

I own an 2019 Audi Q-5 with Continental 255X35 R19 tires.
Owners manual says 29# front&rear. Door sticker says 33# front,36# rear. Both Normal load.

Which is correct?
Thanks!

uberwgn 03-15-2019 06:01 AM

md, if you're in the USA, the B pillar sticker shows MAX load by default.

The Owner's Manual is the comprehensive source of information for us. FWIW, and based upon how bad your local roads are, the 29 psi value might be too low.

Welcome aboard!

StopSign 03-17-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by uberwgn (Post 25289644)
md, if you're in the USA, the B pillar sticker shows MAX load by default.

I presume you mean the recommended tire pressure at max weight loading?

As a rule of thumb, I would follow the door plus a few PSI. 35 is a good starting point and you can dial it in from there based on your preference, up or down. On my last few sets I have settled on 36 cold, and that works great for me (currently running DWS06 265/45ZR20).

Remember you are doing cold pressure, so I'd add a few if the tires are warmed up (driven more than a couple miles at moderate speeds or sitting in direct sun).

You're not going to do serious harm unless you are way out of range for a long period or for given conditions, so get them to your liking.

uberwgn 03-17-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by StopSign (Post 25290601)
I presume you mean the recommended tire pressure at max weight loading?

As a rule of thumb, I would follow the door plus a few PSI. 35 is a good starting point and you can dial it in from there based on your preference, up or down. On my last few sets I have settled on 36 cold, and that works great for me (currently running DWS06 265/45ZR20).

Remember you are doing cold pressure, so I'd add a few if the tires are warmed up (driven more than a couple miles at moderate speeds or sitting in direct sun).

You're not going to do serious harm unless you are way out of range for a long period or for given conditions, so get them to your liking.

Let's see, MAX load means 2 passengers in front and 3 passengers in the rear and 5 suitcases hanging over the tail end. Do most of us use our cars as taxi cabs or is there typically a solo person in the front?

StopSign 03-17-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by uberwgn (Post 25290611)
Let's see, MAX load means 2 passengers in front and 3 passengers in the rear and 5 suitcases hanging over the tail end. Do most of us use our cars as taxi cabs or is there typically a solo person in the front?

I can't tell if you're asking me something or if this is common condescension.

OP, if you drive your car solo and like a purposeless geriatric, or just prefer a soft ride and don't take the corners fast enough to notice the mush, follow the manual.

If you want to get a little wild or add a couple people from time-to-time, follow the placard.

Or just realize that they're both woefully conservative and air it to match your driving style and comfort, and take good care of your tires with regular rotations and even air pressures.

KevinGary 03-17-2019 04:31 PM

Troll much?

Glisse 03-18-2019 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by md4msu (Post 25289630)
I own an 2019 Audi Q-5 with Continental 255X35 R19 tires.
Owners manual says 29# front&rear. Door sticker says 33# front,36# rear. Both Normal load.

Which is correct?
Thanks!

Neither of them, as you either don't have a Q5 or you don't have 255/35R19 tyres.

You either have an S5 or 255/50R19 tyres.

Perhaps correct the info, and re-post in the correct brand forums here, which will give you more helpful info.