Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Higher profile.. better for potholes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher profile.. better for potholes?

Chicago is full of potholes...

I wonder if tires with a higher profile (and smaller wheels) are better in order to resist and avoid damage?

How about tire pressure?
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

More sidewall on the tire gives you more protection from rim damage.

More air pressure will give you a little more protection but it will also give you a harsher ride. The flexing of the tire is part of the manufacturer suspension design. Run near recommended pressures.

I run 10% higher pressure in the summer for a little better fuel economy. In the winter, MPG's are low anyways due to winter gas, resistance from snow and a higher rolling resistance in the cold. I run recommended pressures and it helps the tread bite into the snow.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
More sidewall on the tire gives you more protection from rim damage.

More air pressure will give you a little more protection but it will also give you a harsher ride. The flexing of the tire is part of the manufacturer suspension design. Run near recommended pressures.

I run 10% higher pressure in the summer for a little better fuel economy. In the winter, MPG's are low anyways due to winter gas, resistance from snow and a higher rolling resistance in the cold. I run recommended pressures and it helps the tread bite into the snow.
I second this
Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyres are a big airbag. The airbag absorbs vibrations and is used to improve ride quality.
However, the natural tendancy for air under pressure in a bag is to form a sphere.
A tyre needs to be designed to eliminate this, and part of the design is to have strong sidewalls to resist the balooning tendancy.
The lower the profile, the stronger the sidewall needs to be. The stronger the sidewall, the stiffer the ride.

So higher profile tyres will give better ride quality and will absorb bumps and holes in the road better.

As stated above, a higher profile will also protect the rim better, as will a wider tyre and one with rim protectors