Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Jack socket replacement. I'm an idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack socket replacement. I'm an idiot.

I'll try to keep this brief. The crappy factory jack shot out from under my A6 (2012, C7) on my [slick] garage while I was rotating tires in December. Thankfully all the lugs were on the wheel in question, so the car remains mostly intact other than a shattered jack socket on the rear, driver's side. I have ordered a replacement jack socket that I don't ever want to have to use again in this life, but want placed back in the car just in case. Some illustrative pictures are below. So, my questions:

1. Is it safe to say is that all I need to do is put the jack socket back into the hole? It appears that, if held in place, the jack socket butts up against the frame.
2. Is there some sort of adhesive that would work well here to hold the edges of the jack socket to the body? The piece just came as a bare piece of plastic. I had to peel some sort of double sided adhesive tape off when I removed the remains of the old one. There does not seem to be any other mechanism required to hold the jack socket in place.
3. Can anyone recommend some good floor jack/puck/jack stands for the A6 that take advantage of the pinch welds and not the jack sockets? I found this puck and plan to buy some generic stands and a low profile floor jack unless there are some good recommendations.

I'm in my mid-30s and have changed many tires, though I'm obviously not a mechanic. I am thoroughly embarrassed beyond belief that this happened and I'm fortunate nobody was hurt. I now know to: not trust the factory jack under anything but emergency conditions (even then I'm tempted just to throw it in the trash), lay down a large grippy mat on my slick garage floor when rotating tires, put a floor jack on the mat and ultimately lower the car onto a jack stand before messing with swapping tires.

I'm probably posting this in the wrong forum, but I didn't see a spot for general repair questions and I didn't feel this was A6 specific.

Thanks! Hole (looking straight up from under the rear driver side passenger door) where the jack socket once lived
Remains of the old jack socket
Replacement jack socket
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Id say just put some silicone on the body side and wedge it up in place overnight with a short stick or something. of course only in 50' or warmer weather.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify, RTV silicone?