Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus - V or Y rated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus - V or Y rated?

I have a 2008 Audi A3 S-Line with the stock 17" wheel option. ~168,000 KM on the car. APR Stage 1 Tune

The factory sticker states the car requires a 225/45R17 94H XL tire.

The car came from the factory with Continental ContiProContact tires. To my delight, I have since replaced these tires a couple years ago with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/45R17 91Y. Night and day!

Looking to replace these tires with the newly updated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, I see there is a choice between the V and Y rated version of the tire. Otherwise they seem to carry identical specs:

225/45ZR17 94Y XL
5-Rib Tread Design
UTQG: 500 AA A

225/45R17 94V XL
5-Rib Tread Design
UTQG: 500 AA A

From what I have been able to determine is that the speed rating is not only about the ability for the tire to handle a max speed of 240 km/h and 300 km/h respectively, but also indicates tradeoffs in other factors such as traction, treadwear, noise and comfort.

Now I do really enjoy the performance of my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, they are a bit stiff for a daily driver / kids in the backseat ride over city holes and bumps.

To make this tougher, it seems all of the videos, reviews and track tests I can find on youtube, tire rack, etc are all for the Y rated version, none for the V rated.

Given the “UTQG: 500 AA A” is the same for both the V and Y rated versions, i have the following questions:
  • What could I expect to be different between the tires in terms of performance (dry / wet traction + responsiveness)?
  • What could I expect to be different between the tires in terms of comfort / ride quality?
  • What could I expect to be different between the tires in terms of noise? (is most of noise due to tread pattern or?)
  • What if anything is different about the construction of the two tires - # of belts, thickness of belts, etc?
Basically what are the key attributes of tradeoffs I need be aware of choosing V or Y rated of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus?

I have done my due diligence as per the following:
  • Read many online resources about tires including Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible
  • Called Michelin and spoke to a rep (they couldnt give a straight answer other than "make sure to meet or exceed the speed rating on your sticker")
  • Emailed Michelin (see their boilerplate / unhelpful response below)
  • Talked to local guy at Kal Tire - He knew less than I did. When I said UHP tire vs Grand Touring his eyes glazed

I have been considering the Michelin A/S or Continental PureContact to really trade off performance for comfort, which also come in two speed ratings - H or V, and the same questions come to mind.

Any help to understand why do tire manufactures offer the same tire in two different speed ratings, and what tradeoffs to expect would be most appreciated!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Email Response From Michelin

Alexander, based off the information given, there will be no difference between the tire's attributes. The only difference is the 240km for the V rated and 300km for the Y rated. The speed rating of a tire indicates the speed category (or range of speeds) at which the tire can carry a load under specified service conditions. A letter from A to Z symbolizes a tire's certified speed rating and the top speed for the tire.

When replacing speed-rated tires, it is recommended to replace tires with ratings equal to or greater than those of the original equipment tires if the speed capability of the vehicle is to be maintained. The handling of a performance vehicle may be different when the replacement tires are not the same speed rating. Refer to the vehicle owners manual to identify any tire speed rating restriction that could affect operation of the vehicle.

However, if you select tires with a lower speed rating, please be aware that the maximum speed of the vehicle will be limited to the maximum speed of the tires and the handling of the vehicle may be affected.

If tires of different speed ratings are mixed on a vehicle, the lower speed-rated tires should be placed on the front axle regardless of which axle is driven. This is to prevent a potential oversteer condition. Vehicle handling may be affected and the vehicle’s speed capacity is now limited to the lowest speed-rated tire.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-888-871-4444 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Saturday.

Sincerely,

Dana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easy answer is this; it is our understanding that the Y rated has been reinforced to handle the higher temperatures associated with the (potential) higher speeds the tire may experience. While we can tell you that the number of physical plies in each tire is the same, Michelin will not share with us the Thickness of each ply to confirm the above.

Since both versions have the same tread pattern and UTQG treadwear rating, we would expect handling to be fairly similar with the exception that the higher speed rated tire (with the a stiffer side wall) may have better lateral stability, but at the expense of some ride comfort. I can tell you from first hand experience that the Y rated tires are very stiff and not very forgiving on rough roads.

I hope this helps !

Last edited by Doc@tirerack; 10-03-2017 at 01:14 PM.