Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Michelin X ice bad handling in 2106 S3

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin X ice bad handling in 2106 S3

I switched from 19 inch to 18 inch with Michelin x ice winter tires in my 2016 S3. These X ice tires are so lose that when turning there is an actual delay when the car turns. Driving down the freeway if I move the steering wheel a little the car response about a half a second later. Is this just because of moving from a 19 inch to and 18 inch wheel or are these tires junk? The guy at Discount Tires said it's because the weather is warm (70's). Thanks.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Probablyvright

Snow tires are formulated to be operated in 30 degrees or less. Even then they are NOT a performance tire, they are made to deal with snow, slush and ice. Conversely summer tires are formulated for premium performance in warm/hot ambient conditions. Up here in Maine we use dedicated seasonal set ups. I don't think much of all season tires up here. BTW I use Hakkepellita R2 tires in the winter and Michelin Pilot Sports in the summer, each mounted on a different set of wheels.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Cory, what is the speed rating of the Michelin snow tire?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

You are feeling the combination of:

a) deeper tread depth than OE leading to more tread squirm
b) more distance between the tread blocks leading to more tread squirm
c) the rubber compound is tuned to perform best when temps are in the low 40's or colder, so in the 70"s it is way too soft and unable to grip.
d) brand new tires may still have some of the release agents and other coatings (left over from the production process) left on them that will make the tires slippery
e) a lower speed rating leading to a "softer" sidewall than OE tires as referenced above

Over the first few hundred miles of use, point d will take care of itself but issues a and b will diminish as the temperatures drop (to issue c). Snow tires are not expected to handle as well as HP tires, as they are focused on providing grip in bad weather. I'm surprised that DT put them on this early in the year to begin with.

Last edited by Doc@tirerack; 10-25-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had Michelin X-ice2's on my previous 8P A3 3.2 quattro, they worked great in the snow but were a bit squishy in corners as you described. This year I put Michelin Alpin PA4's on my 2016 S3, which are "performance winter" vs. X-ice "studless snow" tires. They handle and corner nearly as well as Conti summer tires, have a significantly higher speed rating than the X-ice or Nokians, and I've had zero issues with traction or getting around during this snowy Upstate New York winter so far. Highly recommend.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I am now on my second car with X-ice2's and I absolute love them in poor weather. But yes....they are not summer tires. They do have a little "wobble in the sidewall" when you corner that is an odd sensation.

However.....and this is the key here...it's because you are driving them in 70 degrees. Of course moving to 18" and taller side walls does have a noticeable change in the feel of the car as well.

These tires are rockstars when it comes to winter weather traction, but the rubber compound was certainly never design for the temps your are driving in. No snow tire is. If you wanted more sporty handling with your snow tires there are other choices. But no...they are not junk tires. In fact, maybe the opposite. These are the ONLY snow tire that have a mileage warranty on them...no other manufacturer will stand behind their winter rubber compound as Micheline does, and I find them to be a pretty awesome blend of handling and performance. Perhaps they don't meet your needs, but they are outstanding snow tires.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by qwijibo
I had Michelin X-ice2's on my previous 8P A3 3.2 quattro, they worked great in the snow but were a bit squishy in corners as you described. This year I put Michelin Alpin PA4's on my 2016 S3, which are "performance winter" vs. X-ice "studless snow" tires. They handle and corner nearly as well as Conti summer tires, have a significantly higher speed rating than the X-ice or Nokians, and I've had zero issues with traction or getting around during this snowy Upstate New York winter so far. Highly recommend.
Thanks for the info, but did you put 18 inchers on for your winter Alpin PA4's?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are 18's on the stock rims, with the same aspect ratio and width as the OEM tires. S3's can have 18 or 19 inch. If you went down to 18 for winter and got a taller sidewall to keep the same diameter, that might also contribute to your handling issue.