Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Need Help with Winter Tire/Wheel set at Tirerack

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Winter Tire/Wheel set at Tirerack

Hey there look like great promos at Tirerack and I need a winter set after killing my new wheels last season.

I am new to Audi having bought an A6 with custom Vossen wheel package already loaded up. It's the A6/3.0 Quattro with Prestige package. The wheels are 21" wide performance... I'm not a tire or wheel expert so I included some pics for reference.

I love my current wheel/tire set and the aesthetics is important to me. I looked at Tirerack and there are sizes from 17" up to 20"... I want a set that improves safety and does well in the snow on wheels that look good and provide an adequate trade-off given the nice "summer set" I currently have.

I found a 20" wheel that looks decent:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...kageFlow=false

...and I'm less choosy about the tires.

QUESTION:
Is a 20" wheel and requisite tire a bad idea for the winter? I don't want to go smaller as it changes the overall look of the vehicle pretty dramatically. Any guidance here is much appreciated, I've never had to buy a winter set and am a little overwhelmed with choice!

CURRENT WHEELS/TIRES

Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mkirkpatrick
Hey there look like great promos at Tirerack and I need a winter set after killing my new wheels last season.

I am new to Audi having bought an A6 with custom Vossen wheel package already loaded up. It's the A6/3.0 Quattro with Prestige package. The wheels are 21" wide performance... I'm not a tire or wheel expert so I included some pics for reference.

I love my current wheel/tire set and the aesthetics is important to me. I looked at Tirerack and there are sizes from 17" up to 20"... I want a set that improves safety and does well in the snow on wheels that look good and provide an adequate trade-off given the nice "summer set" I currently have.

I found a 20" wheel that looks decent:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...kageFlow=false

...and I'm less choosy about the tires.

QUESTION:
Is a 20" wheel and requisite tire a bad idea for the winter? I don't want to go smaller as it changes the overall look of the vehicle pretty dramatically. Any guidance here is much appreciated, I've never had to buy a winter set and am a little overwhelmed with choice!

CURRENT WHEELS/TIRES

No one makes 21" WIDE winter tires for over the road passenger cars.

You obviously mean diameter. Smaller wheels with higher profile tires are best for winter tires. Tire Rack has pretty smart people you can talk to about this.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 255/35R20 tire size you can actually get a quite effective winter tire such as the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 or Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. These would be a slight step down in winter traction from a more narrow 18" setup, but given your priorities with cosmetics I think you'll be much happier with the 20" setup.

Keep in mind that either of the two winter tire choices above will be FAR better in snow than any all-season tire options. Combine this setup with quattro and you'll be much better off than most vehicles on the road this winter.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...nter/index.jsp