Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

New S4 owner, need tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S4 owner, need tire advice

Hi All

I've had my S4 for six months now and have about 6700 miles on the odometer. This was my first time buying a new car in a dealership, and I must admit I didn't do a very thorough job working out some details. Anyway, getting to the point, my car came with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 summer tires. Some brief research on TireRack shows that these are sort of decent UHP summer tires. Most reviewers say the sidewall is soft and they aren't the best for hard driving. I do some hard driving when I have the space or the right backroads but mostly highway cruising. Can't complain about the P7s because I'm really no tire expert and haven't driven the car with anything else for rubber. Winter is around the corner and I'm thinking ahead to what I will do with the car. I live in NYC and the car stays within 200 miles of NYC usually. We get snow, but only a handful of storms per winter, and it gets cleared very very quickly. I do not need or want winter tires. They simply are overkill for my use. All seasons seem like the way to go. I have been very attracted to the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ tires, which seem to be the best UHP all seasons tires you can buy. I don't really have the space to store a set of tires conveniently and I'm not interested in paying to have tires swapped twice a year. Here is my core question: being that the P7s aren't all that to begin with for a summer tire, would the Michelin all seasons feel equal to, or worse, or better than the Pirellis. Ideally I would like to put all seasons on and run them year round but I want to know how the UHP all seasons will effect the performance of the car before I buy anything. If they will make the performance of the car drastically worse then I may consider running two sets. But again, considering my use, it seems like more work than it's worth. Please give me your opinions. Major plus if you have experience with these two models. Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven on all three tires you mentioned, I'd say the Michelin AS 3+ would do just about everything the P7 could do (believe it or not). The AS3+ is so close to a summer tire's dry and wet handing, its unbelievable.